What gives? D:

Wicked_Seraph
Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Last Friday, I weighed in at ~192 lbs. Saturday and Sunday were not my best days in terms of calorie counting, nor running. I've made peace with that.

Imagine my shock when I weighed myself Monday and my weight had shot back up to 198! WTF?

I've weighed myself daily since then and I'm still hovering around 197. I'm not sitting here freaking out, but I am a little frustrated. I chalked it up to water retention, possibly, since I'm sure the pizza and ice cream was laden with sodium and other nasties and my water intake wasn't the best that weekend. But still... I would have expected it to drop down to normal a bit more quickly if it was actually due to consuming too much salt, especially considering how much water I've been drinking this week.

TMI (sorry), but I don't think it's TOM? I'm due for it in about 3-4 days but suffice to say that a change in medication means it might not occur at all.

Anyone have ideas for why this might have happened? I don't think it would be due to a caloric surplus for such a short time frame...

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    I would blame it on the anime.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

TMI (sorry), but I don't think it's TOM? I'm due for it in about 3-4 days but suffice to say that a change in medication means it might not occur at all.

It's probably a combination of TOM and change in meds. You know you didn't go over enough to gain 5lbs of fat, I'd just give it more time.
  • ah20118
    ah20118 Posts: 4 Member
    I made my wife laugh when I to her I gained "this is why you don't weigh every day" lbs yesterday. How did I eat under budget, make my best time ever on a run, and all that and still gain .8 lbs?

Meh, look more at trends and over the long term(I tell myself) but recognize there is a price to pay for that pizza and ice cream (in excessive quantities)
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Ignore the scale. Too many variables to determine the why. Continue to log and eat at a deficit. Weigh yourself again in a week or two.
  • violetpurdy
    violetpurdy Posts: 39 Member
    I think it could be TOM. I know for me personally, my weight always goes up around that time. About a week after its back to normal though. I wouldn't sweat it, like the others said, just continue eating at a deficit and you'll be okay. :)
    (P.S. if that's Aoba in your profile pic, I very much approve :P)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    You do not gain lbs of fat over the course of a few days unless you binge eat in a severe manner. You also do not lose several lbs of a fat in a week unless you create a severe deficit. To gain a lb of fat you need a surplus of roughly 3500 calories (that's in addition to whatever you maintain on). A loss of a lb of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories. Anytime you lose multiple lbs in a time span of just a few days it's all water weight. Stop looking at daily weights the way that you are. It's good to weigh daily, but rather than focus at the fluctuations that are almost always insignificant, average your daily weights each week. After a month, compare that weekly averages. You could also weigh daily and just use an app or graph to plot your weights. A month worth of daily weights is telling of actual fat loss and allows you to see past water weight fluctuations.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    vismal wrote: »
    You do not gain lbs of fat over the course of a few days unless you binge eat in a severe manner. You also do not lose several lbs of a fat in a week unless you create a severe deficit. To gain a lb of fat you need a surplus of roughly 3500 calories (that's in addition to whatever you maintain on). A loss of a lb of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories. Anytime you lose multiple lbs in a time span of just a few days it's all water weight. Stop looking at daily weights the way that you are. It's good to weigh daily, but rather than focus at the fluctuations that are almost always insignificant, average your daily weights each week. After a month, compare that weekly averages. You could also weigh daily and just use an app or graph to plot your weights. A month worth of daily weights is telling of actual fat loss and allows you to see past water weight fluctuations.

I actually weigh several times a week specifically to remind myself that fluctuations are normal. It's easier to not get discouraged over a pound or two if you see it changing daily rather than after a week. :smile:

I suppose I was mainly concerned because I always figured that water weight from, say, the weekend would be lost more quickly. The fact that it's been almost a week made me a tad concerned. Although, like others pointed out, it is very likely to be TOM.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    I think it could be TOM. I know for me personally, my weight always goes up around that time. About a week after its back to normal though. I wouldn't sweat it, like the others said, just continue eating at a deficit and you'll be okay. :)
    (P.S. if that's Aoba in your profile pic, I very much approve :P)

IT IS MOST CERTAINLY AOBA :smirk:

I think I'm just trying to get used to things. TMI (again) but prior to last year, I never had a TOM. The medicine before trigger a TOM, but raised my blood pressure dangerously high... so now we're back on something safer. I've only been on it a month, so we'll see.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    ah20118 wrote: »
    I made my wife laugh when I to her I gained "this is why you don't weigh every day" lbs yesterday. How did I eat under budget, make my best time ever on a run, and all that and still gain .8 lbs?

Meh, look more at trends and over the long term(I tell myself) but recognize there is a price to pay for that pizza and ice cream (in excessive quantities)

I probably should have clarified in my OP.

I always weigh several times a week, mostly because I know weight fluctuates. Seeing it change by a pound or two several times a week is reassuring, and forces me to remember that the scale doesn't give the full story. Basically... the more I see my weight change, the more I realize that the scale isn't the be-all, end-all.

My overall trend for the past 6-ish months is loss. I'm not freaking out, but I always thought water weight and whatnot was shed faster, yanno? Ah well.