Millenials, Rise Up and Unite! (20s, early 30s, people who look at Buzzfeed too much)

Replies

• MrsBAT
    MrsBAT Posts: 31 Member
    Occupation: Epic failure and struggling writer? (I homeschool my kid and write when I find free time)
    College (alum/current student): Didn't get to finish, but I'm planning to go back to finish a psychology degree next year, hopefully
    Fitness Goals: Being fit and toned again, and hopefully shedding at least 20lb
    Exercising: Do you do it, and what do you do? Yes...but I'm kind of off the wagon right now because of an injury. I'm kind of obsessed with Zumba for Wii and Jillian Michaels's new shred (Beginner Shred?) DVD and a couple others. I also do yoga.
    Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): Long term this time around because I'm less focused on weight and more focused on lifestyle changes. I log on every day.
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: So. Many. I have well over 500 physical books and like 1k movies, so...First that come to mind at this moment are the Harry Potter books and A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original).
    Anything else pertinent: My kid started doing yoga with me around age 2 and has since moved on to trying to do any exercise I do. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    College (alum/current student): Spring Hill College in Mobile, AL, class of 2005
    Fitness Goals: be strong enough to complete the entire Tough Mudder next spring
    Exercising: Do you do it, and what do you do? Run 3-4/week, weights/strength 2x/a week, chase a 4 year old around constantly
    Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): every day
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: Love books. Love, love, love books. All time favorite, Aldous Huxley Brave New World and Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series
    Anything else pertinent: War Damn Eagle.
  • Archercc
    Archercc Posts: 37 Member
    College (alum/current student): None
    Fitness Goals: Get down to 250, 90+ to go
    Exercising: Walk 1-2 miles per day 5-6 days a week
    Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): Long term, planning to get on everyday
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: Wheel of Time series / Dies the Fire series
    Anything else pertinent: Around 9 months ago we moved from north Central Ohio to Central Wisconsin when my wife got a great job offer, I've spent the months since we moved unpacking and generally doing nothing much. When I realized a bit ago that I only had one pair of non-shorts / non-sweats that till fit I realized I needed to do something to make sure I was going to be healthy and live long enough to see my 4YO daughter grow up.

Feel free to add me.
  • freyjabibby
    freyjabibby Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2016

Happy early birthday!!! (Not sure what the time is where you are but it's 1 minute to midnight here)
  • freyjabibby
    freyjabibby Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2016
    tofuligan wrote: »
    What I could *really* use is an anonymous/semi-anon email buddy so I feel like I have someone accountable to daily if anyone's interested. In the mean time, feel free to add me!

Hey, friend request sent. Happy to be someone on the other end of a daily e-mail.

• laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Love it! Sending out requests to you all.

College (alum/current student): University of Wisconsin Madison BS 2011, Benedictine University MS 2013
    Fitness Goals: 45# to go until my goal weight. We'll see after that :)
    Exercising: Goal is 6 days a week, generally elliptical or running. Also enjoy yoga and weights. I LOVE fitbit (I have three!, so hit me up if you want to be friends on there too!)
    Consistency: I've used MFP on and off for almost 4 years, but am now logging on daily after reaching my heaviest weight last summer and love to offer support and see others successes!
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: Favorite movie is Good Will Hunting, currently reading Cheryl Strayed and can't wait for the new season of Orange is the New Black!

Anything else pertinent:
    Yes, I'm a dietitian and I've always struggled with my weight (one of the reasons I became interested!) I'm always willing to chat and share my knowledge, but I'm definitely not preachy or judgemental (in fact, I rarely talk about it on MFP)- we're all in the same boat!

• YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    edited May 2016

College (alum/current student): University at Buffalo, graduating in the fall!

Fitness Goals: Lose ≈ 15 pounds and afterwards gain some lean muscle. Really I'm aiming for a 30-31" waist before I go abroad, and then to keep it up after I return.

Exercising: Elliptical mostly. I used to run but a chronic physiological issue in my foot requires surgery and I haven't had the time to spend to take 6 weeks off for the surgery to rehab it. Possibly this winter will be the time!

Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): I've been logging in for over 430 days, so I'm definitely here for the foreseeable future.

Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: Jurassic Park and I'm more partial to video games (e.g. Pokemon, JRPGs, etc)

Anything else pertinent: Going to study abroad (with a home stay!) this summer for 7 weeks in Japan, so I don't know if I'll be logging in here much, but I'll definitely be trying to eat healthy (but also indulge within reason, because, Japan.) while away from home.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Hey everyone! My name's Andy.

College (alum/current student): gradumated from Cincinnati State Technical & Community College with an AAS degree in Computer Network Engineering.
    Fitness Goals: lose weight in my middle, and get stronger arms
    Exercising: Do you do it, and what do you do? right now, about twice a week, and trying to walk as much as possible daily.
    Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): i've made it a habit to log my food as it helps me make sense of the scale. I've learned my portion sizes were outrageous and etc. I recently hit 365 days in a row, though i've been on almost every day since fall 2013.
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: back to the future / rush hour 2 / fast & the furious / inside out
    Anything else pertinent: i'd love to have new friends add me. I'm also recently married to my girlfriend of nearly 8 years.
  • its_laura_btw
    its_laura_btw Posts: 48 Member
    So many awesome people! Feel free to add me, as I am also pretty awesome.

Occupation: Unemployed. It's very difficult to get a minimum wage job around here :/

College: Going in September for Animal Care! :)

Fitness Goals: To be the best me I can be. Lose 80-90lbs, get all toned and stuff. Eat well and live better!

Exercising: I do 60 minutes of stationary biking nearly every day, at different speeds depending on how I'm feeling. Also I do about 30 minutes of toning alongside the cardio.

Consistency: I'm on here all the time! I like to keep an eye on the newbies coming in and make lots of friends! I love to motivate and be supportive :)

Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: Movie either Severance or American Beauty. I don't read much but my favourite book has always been The Wind in the Willows. I listen to every genre of music except country and hardcore rap stuff. My favourite song is Nights in White Satin by The Moody Blues. Favourtie composer is Thomas Newman.

Anything else pertinent: Be my friend! I love people and just chatting about stuff. I am a mother to a black cat named Nyx. My favourite food is pizza. And I'm super single sooo, hey ;)
  • mandaleigh22
    mandaleigh22 Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2016
    Hello! Please feel free to add me, you can never have too much support.

College (alum/current student): Grand Canyon Christian University
    Fitness Goals: lose 98lbs
    Exercising: Do you do it, and what do you do? Mostly walking, I have been trying to run more though. Usually every day
    Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): long term. I get on every day except for my cheat day
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: titanic, collide & pulse
    Anything else pertinent: I have two kiddos. I am on a low carb diet. But I try to stay in calorie range
  • Kayleighmariax
    Kayleighmariax Posts: 2 Member
    Age: 20 (turning 21 in July. According to some sources not quite a millenial, according to others I am)
    Occupation: Full-time student and part-time working at a zoo (in the souvenir store and selling tickets)
    College (alum/current student): Law school dropout and currently getting my bachelors in Communicationscience at the University of Amsterdam
    Fitness Goals: Get to a healthy BMI, for which I need to drop 20-25 kgs or around 50-55 lbs.
    Exercising: Not a big fan to be honest. I do walk a lot, but I don't quite have the time to go to the gym (I travel a lot). Use my fitbit to track my steps and try to average 12-15 k a day.
    Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): I have the MFP app and am on that a lot. Also visit the forums a bit, but mostly lurking. Currently on a 14 day streak on the app.
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever:
    Anything else: I was on MFP a couple of years ago, but I gave up and gained a lot of weight. Recently got on the scale and was slightly shocked. Have really started eating better and counting calories since just a week, but determined to stay on track this time. I am obsessed with pugs and penguins. I have my own appartment and sometimes find it difficult to motivate myself to get a proper meal.

I am looking to get new friends on here, so feel free to add me.
  • Hamandcheesemeltdown
    Hamandcheesemeltdown Posts: 1 Member
    College: SUNY Oswego (BS in technology management)
    Exercise: running, racquetball, weight lifting and hiking.
    Fitness goals: run a 5k in under 35 min, loose 60 pounds.
    Favorite book: the alchemist
    Favorite movie: gladiator with Russell Crowe
    Anything else: I want to get back in the same shape I was when I left the Navy 4 years ago.
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    College (alum/current student): Senior at Herron school of art and design
    Fitness Goals: get to healthy weight, gain confidence, overall health, get leaner
    Exercising: Do you do it, and what do you do?:
    Yes, member at planet fitness, elliptical is my favorite, also bike, medicine ball and trampoline
    Consistency: try to log in daily
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: walking dead, OITNB, anything that has to do with science, history, and documentaries
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Occupation: I'm an underpaid over abused desk monkey for the State of Missouri
    College (alum/current student): University of Wisconsin-River Falls. Looking into programs in either a Masters in Finance or a PhD in Economics but right now I have to much student debt to go back to school
    Fitness Goals: To get all the fitness! I have a lot of fitness goals. I'd like to be able to run a 5k by the end of the summer, do a toes to bar within a year, actually get a double under.
    Exercising: I do CrossFit
    Consistency: I've been on MFP a few times over the years it hasn't been something I've really stuck with. I struggle to count calories because I'm just so busy. As far as my consistency in the gym I try to be there 3x a week. In the past I don't feel as though I was really ready for this journey. I hadn't found a lifestyle I was ready to stick with. That of course changed when I finally tried CrossFit <3.
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: N/A I don't read books or really watch a lot of movies. I do TV series. Right now I'm watching Supernatural and Empire. I don't have enough time in the week to even do my dishes or laundry, so reading isn't really any option. The tv shows get turned on when I'm too exhausted to do anything else.

Anything else pertinent: I work 2 jobs, work 7 days a week, and I screw up all the time. But I don't make excuses or let it discourage me. I start running and hop right back on that train. I set goals and work my *kitten* off to accomplish them. The most annoying excuse in the world to me is when people are too "intimidated" to do something. We've all faced intimidating situations and those of us who are successful have overcome them. Being unhealthy is comfortable, it's easy. Staying at home watching tv every evening is easy. But getting your *kitten* to the gym, trying to eat healthy, and getting results is work. It's intimidating and for people with little to no self esteem it's downright terrifying. But I'm nobody and I overcame all that crap. So when you tell me you're not walking into the weight room because all the guys in there intimidate you I will not show any sympathy. I will not feel sorry for you or say "Oh sweetie it's okay." I'm going to tell you to quit bitching get in there and do your thing. If you're ready to make excuses then you're not ready to take control of your life.

• mrl2168
    mrl2168 Posts: 5 Member

College (alum/current student): Columbia University

Fitness Goals:
    Short term (By mid August 2016): Go from 350lbs -315lbs
    Medium term(By December 2016): Go from 315-275lbs
    Long term (By June 2017): Go from 270-235

My BF% goal is to go from 37.5%---->12%BF over the course of the next year and a half, or whichever rate of loss that will not lead to excess skin.

I currently have 220lbs of lean body mass, which I hope to preserve in my fat loss journey (By tracking my macros). My weight loss goals are rough estimates of where I want to be. Despite injury, I'm going to try and do my best with strength building exercises and cardio. We'll see how these goals transform according to how my body responds.

The skinny: Lose 100lbs of fat mass.

Exercising: Recumbent stationary bike 4-5 times a week. I either do a 60 min LISS or 40 minutes interval workout. (I have been favoring the LISS for the past week as I can last longer and burn more kcals)

I plan on incorporating mobility and and range of motion work into my fitness regime daily so when I am healed, I can have the benefit of being able to lift injury free.

I will also be doing bodyweight strength training (for the non-affected muscle groups) 3-4 times a week.

Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: I like engaging movies, but I can't single any out as my all time favorite. Anything funny keeps me hooked. I am a big fan of British television. (For the humour and the accents)

Oh yeah, and because Uni can get intense, adult cartoons (read:Southpark, Family Guy, BoJack Horseman) become a form of meditative comedic catharsis.

Anything else pertinent:
    I'm looking for accountability buddies.
  • rosieandroo
    rosieandroo Posts: 15 Member
    Occupation: I make pizzas and work as a school counsellor (I know it's an odd mix, but it works).
    College (alum/current student): Currently studying for a diploma in psychotherapy.
    Fitness Goals: I want to lose a little weight, eat sensibly and stay active. I have mental health issues that are exacerbated by bad diet and lack of activity.
    Exercising: I walk everywhere and a lot, and I do a lot of body weight strength building stuff, and at home exercises that get my blood pumping.
    Consistency (are you here for today, or will you be here long term? And do you get on every day or once a week? etc): I've been consistent for a week now, I'm not sure how long it will last!
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: I love movies too much to pick one. Disney movies. 2001: a Space Odyssey. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Anything magical and space-y. Books wise, I think that A Thousand Splendid Suns is the best book I've read yet.
    Anything else pertinent: I find this community slightly overwhelming and intimidating and would like to add as a friend anyone else who suffers with mental health issues and is in need of a bit of support and motivation.
  • madelinecamille
    madelinecamille Posts: 1,131 Member
    edited May 2016
    This thread is a great idea! Feel free to add me; I'm always looking for motivational friends.

Occupation: Elementary teacher (1st grade this year, 3rd in the fall)
    College: National Louis University (BA in Education and working on M.Ed for reading)
    Fitness Goals: lose 30 lbs (I'm about halfway there! SW 161 CW 146.6 GW 130)
    Exercising: at least 30 minutes 6 times per week. I've been switching off cardio and strength training.
    Consistency: I've logged in and tracked every day for almost 2 months, which is the longest I've used an app like this. I tried Weight Watchers in the past but found it didn't work for me.
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: I've watched The Princess Bride far more times than necessary, and I also love horror movies. The Harry Potter series are my favorite books from childhood, Life of Pi is one that's really stuck with me, and anything by Stephen King is my guilty pleasure (and the Twilight series, I guess
  • mariv0
    mariv0 Posts: 45 Member
    Holy crap, I just realized I have a typo misspelling in the title of my thread, and no one has been mean about it! So ironic since I'd normally be the one to point it out. This truly is a supportive community! Haha.
  • Alysia82
    Alysia82 Posts: 67 Member
    College (alum/current student): Spelman College and Georgia State University
    Fitness Goals: Run a mile in under 14 minutes
    Exercising: Grt back to working out 3 to 5 times per week
    Consistency: I was here daily but hurt my knee and fell off
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: Movie - The Wiz Book - What looks like crazy on an ordinary day
    Anything else pertinent: Married, lesbian, toddler mom, natural hair lover
  • HaleyHyder
    HaleyHyder Posts: 8 Member
    Occupation: Ex. Correctional Officer (Due to move) now security officer.
    College (alum/current student): I do not attend school.
    Fitness Goals: 132 pound weight loss
    Exercising: I do 6 days a week monday-Saturday and Sunday rest. i am currently on a 6 week workout plan. A lot more weight training then cardio. Still do about 30 Minutes of Cardio a day. i want to lose the weight but also gain a good amount of muscle, because i am heavier it is harder for me to run so im starting with more strength and a little cardio to work up to.
    Consistency: I am here for long term, any support given i will receive arms wide open (: and here to give support as well (: i have a lot to go and i am only on day 3 as of 5-22-16 (today)
    Favorite Movie/Book/Whatever: Favorite movie i would have to say comes to mind right of the top of my head is My Dog Skip lol its an older movie and i cry everytime no matter how many times i have seen it every time! the way the used to make movies with such meaning i think is what gets me. i swear i needed to be born back in the 80's or 70's to be honest lol. Books i dont really like to read but i really a lot online and try to stay informed.
    Lastly i am a Type 1 diabetic, i was diagnosed in 2012 in the same month as my birthday and a month before my senior high school graduation. I went into the hospital with an A1C of 16 and for those of you that dont know what A1C is, its your blood sugar readings along the period of 3 months. I was told i should have either been in a coma or worse dead with how high it was. needless to say i went to the doctor last week and finally after hard work and focusing on my blood sugars my A1C is down from a 13.9 to a 9!! so i am very happy with my victory and looking to keep that up but finally work on and start to see numbers drop on the scale. I try to be a very positive person and not take life for granted so with that in mind if anyone would like to add me and join me or support whatever is fine (: that would be awesome! together we can love, support reach the goals to our #1 victory!! (: