Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Body Temperature and Metabolism

tiffkittyw
tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
I have read various articles on the internet regarding a low body temperature (below 97.7) and a slower metabolism. The cause can be from various factors such as hypothyroidism (which I have, but I'm on medication), stress, and other health conditions. Since body temperature is correlated to metabolism, if your body temperature is consistently below 97.7 is this an indicator that your metabolism has been effected by either disease, stress, or dieting and you now have a lower Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). How many calories per day would need to be deducted from standard BMR calculations when low body temperature is present? Any thoughts?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited May 2016
    I seem to lose at about the same rate regardless of body temp.

Before my hypothyroidism was treated, my temp was always below 98, or below 97 in the morning. I was able to lose weight by "eating clean" following Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet. In hind sight it was also lower carb.

My recent weight loss was using very low carb (and eating "clean") and I lost at about the same rate all while being optimally treated for hypothyroidism (and not exercising).

Body temp did not seem to make a difference in weight loss for me.... I sure feel a lot healthier when my temp is normal.

ETA that I did not count my calories last time I lost weight, but this time I ate about 1500 kcal per day. I am 5'8" and now weight 150 lbs after a 40lb loss. I am guessing that I ate a similar amount in the past, if not slightly less.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I have no science, just my n1 study. My body temp is 96.8F and my metabolism is not slow. Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to create a formula to figure out body temp/BMR ratio. It comes off as trying to figure out calorie absorption after vomiting.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I'm always between 96-98. I have several autoimmune issues that my doctor believes are connected. That said, I'm losing weight like crazy.
  • tiffkittyw
    Thank you to those who responded. I do not have any problems losing weight, but now that I am smaller and burn less calories I am more concerned with the accuracy of BMR/TDEE calculators and devices such as Fitbit because those numbers are accurate for most people but not all. I know everyone is different and determining TDEE takes trial and error, but I am still interested in knowing if low temperature has an effect on reduced BMR. It sounds like it doesn't for any of you :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    My basal body temp is very low, always has been. My metabolism is high for my age/size, always has been. I do not think there is a correlation, or at least not in the direction of cold = slow.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    A low body temperature is ONE potential sign/symptom of hypothyroidism and other abnormalities affecting energy metabolism in the body. However, having a low body temperature does not in any way mean that there is a certainty that your BMR is any lower than would be expected, and people with a BMR significantly lower than expected will not always have a low body temperature.

I wouldn't use your body temperature as a gauge to determine whether you should adjust your calorie intake. I would encourage you to look at your actual data (TDEE - logged food = deficit/3500 = expected change in weight, vs actual change in weight) over as long of a period of time as possible to get a better picture of your "actual" TDEE - that's not trial and error so much as math. You could also look into getting your resting metabolic rate tested medically. None of these things are going to be perfect, just like a Fitbit and an online calculator isn't perfect, but the more pieces of data we have the better and more accurate picture we can form.
  • tiffkittyw
    Thank you @BarbieAS!