Vitamins or Minerals in food... which is more important?

Options
Hi everyone. I am a bit confused about vitamins and minerals in food and how they affect us. The general view I think is that the vitamins in food are essential to health. Vitamin A, C, D, E, K, the B vitamins, and all that.

So if what we eat is to keep us well, then our daily food should include all the vitamins. That makes sense.

But what about the minerals? There are things like potassium, magnesium, calcium etc. Are these more important than vitamins? I've read somewhere that if some minerals are missing in the diet then certain vitamins won't work.

So, if the food we eat lacks certain minerals, then counting the calories might be a waste of time because our bodies will be telling us to eat more in order to acquire those minerals. So we get heavier, and that contributes to today's high obesity levels.

Has anyone come across this theory? Is it true?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Count calories. :)
    Eat a variety of foods in order to get your vits and minerals.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about getting every single vitamin and mineral daily. I focus on a theme and variety of mostly healthy food. I mostly concentrate on hitting my protein and fiber goals and everything else tends to fall in place this way.
  • ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you have a well balanced diet, you should get most of the vitamins and minerals you need. If there are any particular vitamins/minerals you want in your diet, I suggest researching what foods contain them and incorporate them in your diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are over thinking this. It's like asking if the gravel or sand is more important on the roadway. It's all important but they are such small amounts most people don't even have to think about it.

That being said there are some combos that support each other, and others that work against.

Vitamin C and iron work well together.

Vitamins A and D are fat soluble and work well with calcium which is why you will often see milk fortified with these two vitamins.

Iron and calcium supplements should not be taken together as they will work against each other. I did take both together for a few months and all I did was pee out the calcium. It smelled like wet cement. And my iron levels barely improved. I now take these separately and I am seeing steady improvement.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Without the required minerals all the vitamins in the world may not help prevent a premature death.

Since the minerals are the foundation to good health in hindsight that is what I should have worked on before vitamins and nutrition in general. Well they can/should be actually all done at the same time. Magnesium levels I currently am finding is not so easy to increase. Vitamin D levels gave me a fit until I learned vitamin K2 was required.

I agree with @jgnatca that we need to look at what ties up what and prevent that action. The empty/full stomach is a factor I have trouble learning and keeping straight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    They all are important. A **severe** deficiency of any vitamin or mineral likely will lead to medical problems. why is it necessary to choose one over the other?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I maintain however that macros supersede micros. If you are short on protein, fat, or carbs it won't improve things by taking a vitamin water.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and minerals are both important equally. Without both the body won't function correctly.
    Knowing which vitamins and minerals go together is important.
    return2health.net/articles/vitamin-mineral-antagonists/
    I believe that you're more likely to stay hungry if you are missing certain nutrients.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am a bit confused about vitamins and minerals in food and how they affect us. The general view I think is that the vitamins in food are essential to health. Vitamin A, C, D, E, K, the B vitamins, and all that.

So if what we eat is to keep us well, then our daily food should include all the vitamins. That makes sense.

But what about the minerals? There are things like potassium, magnesium, calcium etc. Are these more important than vitamins? I've read somewhere that if some minerals are missing in the diet then certain vitamins won't work.

So, if the food we eat lacks certain minerals, then counting the calories might be a waste of time because our bodies will be telling us to eat more in order to acquire those minerals. So we get heavier, and that contributes to today's high obesity levels.

Has anyone come across this theory? Is it true?

No. No need to overthink it this much...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and minerals are both important equally. Without both the body won't function correctly.
    Knowing which vitamins and minerals go together is important.
    return2health.net/articles/vitamin-mineral-antagonists/
    I believe that you're more likely to stay hungry if you are missing certain nutrients.

@TheDevastator I agree with you about to likely stay hungry. I am starting to think cravings are nature's way to keep us 'grazing' hoping we stumble upon what is missing in our diet that we need for health.

I have been studying supplements at some level for 40 years and almost daily for the past two years and find it very hard to find research that is consistent.

The fraud in the supplement industry turns me off. Bio-availability for vitamins, minerals and supplements in general are often unknown or a wild card at best. Currently I use many different sources and find LifeExtension has some of the best researched articles and is one reason I pay a bit more for their products. Most that comes from chain box sources can really be a wild card. If it is MLM product I do not even stop to look.

What people use/eat is their business but when there are vendors knowingly into fraud for $$$ taking serious peoples money that may do them no good or worse it rattles my chain.

After two years I am just tweaking my vitamins and minerals because my macro experimenting still needs more tweaking. As my health recovers I find my needs tend to shift requiring tweaking everything more than I expected.

Recently I added Marine Phytoplankton (Nannochloropsis Gaditana), Nutritional Yeast Flakes and D-Ribose trying to fill some mineral and vitamin gaps. Staying in Nutritional Ketosis and bumping up my carbs at the same time is a challenge but seems to be positive for my health so far and cuts out the need for some of my current supplements. I am into shotgun approaches it seems. :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    That's like asking if water is more important to human survival than oxygen. You need both, but for different reasons. Your body can't make either of them, so they need to be included in your diet in one way or another, whether that's through food or supplementation.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I took nutrition courses in college. My professor stressed variety in the food you eat. Bananas are loaded with potassium and if you eat a variety of foods all the minerals and vitamins should be ok. Vitamins and minerals are best absorbed by the body through food. But if your diet isn't balanced you can take a multivitamin mineral but be sure to stay close to the RDAs and don't go mega doses which can be harmful. The water-soluble vitamins are not that much of a concern as what your body doesn't need it will flush out in your urine. It's the other fat soluble vitamins that you do not want to have megadoses. I take extra vitamin C and it's better absorbed if you take vitamin C supplement with the food that contains vitamin C. You can go as high as 2000 or 3000 MGs a day for better protection. I suggest researching reputable sites online to get more information from qualified professionals who are degreed in the area of nutrition.
  • JanPalmer500
    JanPalmer500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your answers! I like this forum.

Thanks @TheDevestator for the 'Agonist/Antagonist' article. That was new to me. Thanks @GaleHawkins for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.

Anyway, I asked this question because around a month ago a friend of mine mentioned that she read that today's farm foods, both plants or animals, contain fewer minerals than they did 100 years ago due to modern agricultural practices. It is why farmers need to use NPK fertilizers in order to maintain crop yields. That is why I feel rather concerned about what I am eating and whether it affects everyone's body chemistry.

That being so, it is not a lack of phosphorus or potassium in foods available in the shops because of the use of fertilizers.

Is about trace mineral depletion? These are things like iron, iodine, copper, manganese, zinc, molybdenum, selenium and chromium, and so on. I found out that trace minerals occur in really tiny amounts in farm soils and are taken up by plant roots, and that way become accumulated in the plant tissues. When farm animals eat the plants and when we eat farm produce we then get those trace minerals.

I read that co-enzymes in our bodies won't work without specific trace minerals, and if they don't work then we get illnesses like obesity and other ailments. I'm doing a bit of digging around because I feel there is a link between today's weight problems and the quality of foods in the shops. It's something we all ought to be aware of I believe.

If anybody is aware of our soil problems and how it affects our nutrition then maybe we could continue in this thread.

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Is about trace mineral depletion? These are things like iron, iodine, copper, manganese, zinc, molybdenum, selenium and chromium, and so on. I found out that trace minerals occur in really tiny amounts in farm soils and are taken up by plant roots, and that way become accumulated in the plant tissues. When farm animals eat the plants and when we eat farm produce we then get those trace minerals.

I read that co-enzymes in our bodies won't work without specific trace minerals, and if they don't work then we get illnesses like obesity and other ailments. I'm doing a bit of digging around because I feel there is a link between today's weight problems and the quality of foods in the shops. It's something we all ought to be aware of I believe.
    I've also read that food has less trace minerals than it did 100 years ago. Ways around that are to get the trace minerals individually in foods that are high in them like Brazil nuts for selenium and kelp for iodine. You can also get salt or clay that have the full spectrum of trace minerals in them to supplement your diet.

Two sites on food nutrients like trace minerals:
    whfoods.com/nutrientstoc.php
    https://healthaliciousness.com/
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned a decent multivitamin probably wouldn't hurt you.
  • JanPalmer500
    JanPalmer500 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is getting quite interesting! @TheDevastator (thanks for your reply, Sir,) says that Brazil nits and Kelp are good sources of selenium and iodine respectively. I agree with that. Brazil nuts are always available in health food shops where I live ... and they are nice! Not sure about kelp though...

But I've never come across salt or clay as being something to eat. How do you get that into your food? Do you grow kale, onions, and veg like that on it? Do you mix it into soil? That will make sense. Maybe the farmers should do that...

I suppose there is a way, perhaps.

And @makingmark says that a multivitamin is okay, but I don't see any minerals in multivitamins.

I think this topic is somewhat confusing to most of us, which is why it ought to be debated.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It may also be that minerals are depleted faster (in the case of magnesium, stress and exercise use it up).
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This is getting quite interesting! @TheDevastator (thanks for your reply, Sir,) says that Brazil nits and Kelp are good sources of selenium and iodine respectively. I agree with that. Brazil nuts are always available in health food shops where I live ... and they are nice! Not sure about kelp though...

But I've never come across salt or clay as being something to eat. How do you get that into your food? Do you grow kale, onions, and veg like that on it? Do you mix it into soil? That will make sense. Maybe the farmers should do that...

I suppose there is a way, perhaps.

And @makingmark says that a multivitamin is okay, but I don't see any minerals in multivitamins.

I think this topic is somewhat confusing to most of us, which is why it ought to be debated.

Salt is a common seasoning.

There are minerals in my multivitamin.
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Without the required minerals all the vitamins in the world may not help prevent a premature death.

Since the minerals are the foundation to good health in hindsight that is what I should have worked on before vitamins and nutrition in general. Well they can/should be actually all done at the same time. Magnesium levels I currently am finding is not so easy to increase. Vitamin D levels gave me a fit until I learned vitamin K2 was required.

I agree with @jgnatca that we need to look at what ties up what and prevent that action. The empty/full stomach is a factor I have trouble learning and keeping straight.

My dietary vitamin D levels are very low, almost non-existent, but I thought that being exposed to sunlight might be enough :/
    so do I need to get vit D also from food?