Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Biggest loser?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied

Muscle does not take up less space than fat. I wish people would quit saying that. A cubic inch of muscle weighs less than a cubic inch of fat. Weight = gravity's pull, Volume = space occupied
    I think you meant a cubic inch of muscle weighs MORE than a cubic inch of fat. I know you can't edit it anymore, diannethegeek. :)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I did and noticed it just after the edit period had passed almost two weeks ago. Since no one had commented on it and it seemed to get my point across even with the typo, I figured it was best to leave it uncommented on. Seems I'll never stop being surprised by how tenacious people are here.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    It fosters the notion that weight loss and health are contests, and you have to do unhealthy things to win (meaning, attain the goals that the TV show producers think will sell advertising). Life isn't a reality show.

I consider it a weekly dose of evil B.S., but probably no more so than the constant quack diet loss programs, food fads, "magic" shakes, and TV "doctors" people constantly recommend in this forum.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    SizeTenByTeatime Posts: 34 Member
    Read this:

http://nypost.com/2015/01/18/contestant-reveals-the-brutal-secrets-of-the-biggest-loser/

It's really over-edited to make a lot of contestants look like 'fat' whiny losers - many have permanent injuries from over-straining their morbidly obese bodies too far, and some even get other eating disorders from the weird regime and constant fat shaming and 'you're lucky to be here maggot, now cry then throw up for the cameras!' regime they are put through. Disgusting television.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    SizeTenByTeatime Posts: 34 Member
    Here's an excerpt:

“One contestant had a torn calf muscle and bursitis in her knees,” Hibbard says. “The doctor told her, ‘You need to rest.’ She said, ‘Production told me I can’t rest.’ At one point after that, production ordered her to run, and she said, ‘I can’t.’ She was seriously injured. But they edited her to make her look lazy and bitchy and combative.”
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Here's an excerpt:

“One contestant had a torn calf muscle and bursitis in her knees,” Hibbard says. “The doctor told her, ‘You need to rest.’ She said, ‘Production told me I can’t rest.’ At one point after that, production ordered her to run, and she said, ‘I can’t.’ She was seriously injured. But they edited her to make her look lazy and bitchy and combative.”

That's despicable.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Sigh.

Is there a reason you're sighing? Is there another thread devoted to this somewhere that I can't find? I'm new here and have also had the study on my mind, and can't believe it was only mentioned once in this thread.

It's only permanent if they died......they haven't died so therefore they CANNOT say permanent.
  • LKM54
    LKM54 Posts: 48 Member
    I believe the article shows the true prejudice we have in this country regarding the obese. It is interesting to note that usually an anorexic will be treated with empathy and concern but an obese person is seen as slothful, lazy and lacks willpower. The conversation needs to change in this country. As a society we have a food disorder which makes it very difficult to help the younger girls and women overcome poor body image. I found the article to show the total disregard for anyone who is fat treating them as a side show. What is most disgraceful is these trainers going along with it and using sub human language and bullying human beings to eat less than 800 calories a day. The show should not be renewed. I never watched it because I found it distasteful on many levels.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    I watched the early seasons, when it wasn't an hour long commercial for Planet Fitness, Subway, or whatever other product they're pushing these days. You also notice that the early seasons didn't have the extreme amounts of weight being lost every week either. I thought things were changing when they brought in Dolvett and Bob discovered weights, but it got worse.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Many of the contestants kept the weight off, but many more fell back into their unhealthy habits. Its easy to lose weight while being secluded from real life duties and get to exercise 6-8 hours a day, but things get difficult when you're thrown back into real life. As for ruining their metabolism? The guy said he has to eat 800 calories to maintain his weight? I'd like to see what he's eating and if he's actually exercising. There was mention that his friends drink beer and don't gain weight, but if he drinks beer he gains 20lbs...well then, sorry, don't drink beer.

I'm actually enjoying a "fitness show" called Strong. They're focusing on bodyfat percentage and dress sizes for their female contestants.

yes but they too dont tell us how much the contestants are eating, like if its low calorie or not. not to mention it says they lost X amount of fat and dress size and gained X amount of muscle,how are the gauging the muscle being built? they also dont say how much exercise they are doing per day either.not to mention those who lost and left the show had a trainer for the next year as well. whats going to happen when that year is up? wonder if they will gain it back or not. are the results they show from the year after having the trainer? or is it from just the time on the show?
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Yah biggest loser is nuts. In my opinion they should do it max half the rate at which the winners do. Like 2 to 3 hours of excercise a day and eat like max 2000 calories
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm not convinced by that study - it was only based on select participants, and not "all".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Am I the only one who actually likes the show? The only thing that bugs me is when they make those obese people RUN on treadmills (And there's always one who falls off!) Why put such stress on their joints when they could get just as good a workout on an elliptical with low/no impact?
    People say it's too hard and unsustainable. Well, they have nothing else to do all day so working out 4-6 hrs a day for a few months is not unreasonable. Construction workers and other hard manual laborers work all day long for years don't they?
    Well yes it is because when they go back to the real world, they aren't going to workout 4-6 hours a day.
    That's because after dropping to normal weight levels they don't NEED to do that much exercise to maintain the weight loss. I used to exercise a lot more (in volume and intensity) when I was losing. Now, I only need 1hr/day of moderate intensity to maintain.
    Unfortunately, the numbers say different for many who have lost lots of of weight quickly. If you know anything about physiology, muscle loss happens with weight loss. Metabolic rates drop more and more which means eating less is more important than exercise. And like other diets, most BL losers DON'T maintain the way they eat at the ranch. Couple that with less exercise and intensity, and weight regain is pretty much inevitable.
    So, a high volume of exercise is certainly sustainable in the short term duration of the show because the purpose is to lose massive weights quickly. It's a perfectly good strategy that anyone can implement. Just because you can't do it forever doesn't mean you shouldn't do it all for a short time. It's like saying you shouldn't cut calories to 1200 for x months because it's unsustainable for the long term. Of course you can, you'll lose weight faster and then when you increase the calories, you'll either lose slower or maintain.
    Having done this for over 30 years and having it as a profession, I'm sure I have a much better handle on how weight loss should be done. Many times logic sounds right. Implementation with results usually don't show the same.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Am I the only one who actually likes the show? The only thing that bugs me is when they make those obese people RUN on treadmills (And there's always one who falls off!) Why put such stress on their joints when they could get just as good a workout on an elliptical with low/no impact?
    People say it's too hard and unsustainable. Well, they have nothing else to do all day so working out 4-6 hrs a day for a few months is not unreasonable. Construction workers and other hard manual laborers work all day long for years don't they?
    Well yes it is because when they go back to the real world, they aren't going to workout 4-6 hours a day.
    That's because after dropping to normal weight levels they don't NEED to do that much exercise to maintain the weight loss. I used to exercise a lot more (in volume and intensity) when I was losing. Now, I only need 1hr/day of moderate intensity to maintain.
    Unfortunately, the numbers say different for many who have lost lots of of weight quickly. If you know anything about physiology, muscle loss happens with weight loss. Metabolic rates drop more and more which means eating less is more important than exercise. And like other diets, most BL losers DON'T maintain the way they eat at the ranch. Couple that with less exercise and intensity, and weight regain is pretty much inevitable.
    So, a high volume of exercise is certainly sustainable in the short term duration of the show because the purpose is to lose massive weights quickly. It's a perfectly good strategy that anyone can implement. Just because you can't do it forever doesn't mean you shouldn't do it all for a short time. It's like saying you shouldn't cut calories to 1200 for x months because it's unsustainable for the long term. Of course you can, you'll lose weight faster and then when you increase the calories, you'll either lose slower or maintain.
    Having done this for over 30 years and having it as a profession, I'm sure I have a much better handle on how weight loss should be done. Many times logic sounds right. Implementation with results usually don't show the same.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just because your numbers say that it doesnt work for a lot or most people doesnt mean that you shouldnt try to do it. Lots of people try many things that are good and fail....what matters is that you get up again,dust yourself off and do it again.
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just because your numbers say that it doesnt work for a lot or most people doesnt mean that you shouldnt try to do it. Lots of people try many things that are good and fail....what matters is that you get up again,dust yourself off and do it again.

That's not how science works. If something has been proven to be harmful to most people then it does, in fact, mean that you shouldn't try to do it.

This isn't the same as "most people will regain lost weight so you shouldn't try." This is "three + hours daily cardio plus a vlcd will permanently damage most people's bodies, and advocating it as a weight loss method is harmful."
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I think the show promotes unrealistic and dangerous weight loss. I think the contestants damage themselves and are not healthy role models.
  • therealfitt
    therealfitt Posts: 8 Member
    You with your indivasion calories burnt..... Maybe thats an indication to your question hahahah
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    now there is an article out stating that they were told to take a popular ADD/ADHD med and yellowjackets(a fat burner with ephedrine in it) to lose weight quicker. one person said they were told to say they ate 1500 calories but only ate 800 and a lot of contestants would puke often.
  • tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    I kinda feel the same was about this as I feel about super models and pageant contestants... when you fit into the mold its ok...but the minute you do you cry foul....
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Its reality tv people LOL
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    What do people think about what they do on the biggest loser?

it is an entertaining show, something for me to watch when I eat lunch, dinner or when on the exercise bike etc

damn sight better than say East Enders, Coronation Street for example

would I personally do what they do? hell no

were they fat to start with? or did they sign up, put on weight to be on the show?

regardless, I would not personally go on a tv show to lose weight