What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    @kittehkitteh88

I've saved your recipe to my computer and to my phone. :)
  • Arwen1218
    Arwen1218 Posts: 118 Member
    Archercc wrote: »
    I'm only on day 6 so far, but this thread has been one heck of an inspiration to me. My biggest fear is loose skin, I am 6'4" and (roughly) 340 pounds so I have a metric snot ton to drop and I am terrified that I am going to look like a sharpei but that fear is not going to hold me back, thank you all for the inspiration.

Feel free to add me.

I completely understand what you mean about the loose skin. After 3 kids and gaining a total of 70 lbs over the years I am finally on the losing side. The trouble is that I have already started to see the flabby skin problem especially with me stomach. There are some outfits and dresses I have that I have to wear a girdle with not bc of fat but bc of loose skin hanging or sagging or jiggling. Anyone have any tips to help combat this problem?
  • Arwen1218
    Arwen1218 Posts: 118 Member
    @FitToLead I definitely understand what you are saying. I have lots of surgical scars and stretch marks from my babies and I wear them like a badge of honor bc they remind me of my life's journey. Surgery to remove the extra skin or gettin a tummy tuck is the last resort if I can't get my skin back to a place I am comfortable with. I know it's not gonna be perfect but as long as I feel good and confident about myself in the end that's all that matters to me in regards to this issue. I did read that wearing girdles while losing weight and working out can help keep the skin in place while it shrinks back down...also moisturizing every day with a good firming cream can help as well...or so I'm told.

I'm 5 ft 7 as well however your goal is much more ambitious than mine and I applaud you for it. My long term goal is 40 lbs but my short term goal is 15. Please feel free to add me so we can support each other on our journeys
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 105 Member
    Archercc wrote: »
    Feel free to add me.
    Keep up the good work and don't worry too much about the excess skin.
    My average weight most of my life was in the 265-275 range at 5' 10".
    On at least 4 occasions I lost down to about 180 and never had any problems with excess skin.
    I think the last time I did that I was in my late 40s. Now at 64 I am at it again, hopefully for the last time, and I am definitely going to have excess skin when I am done.
    So age and how long I have been too heavy have definitely played a part for me.
    I think you are young enough that you will be ok but of course that is only an opinion.
  • c123c
    c123c Posts: 81 Member
    Sorry in advance for the wall of text! Love this thread I've read all of it over a week.

I started at 285 and am currently at 227 (goal 150). So far the things I didn't expect/no-one told me:

- I

- It will take quite a lot of weight to drop a dress size (I know this changes with the paper towel effect but currently even large amounts of weight loss aren't noticeable).

- I would become more assertive looking out for my own interests, but also less self involved. Previously I would never cancel on a friend, allow myself to be treated like a doormat, and even not sit on public transport because I felt everyone else was more worthy. Now I have the confidence to say no to things I don't want to do (and weirdly my friendships seem better I'm not sure if I was needy before, but my friendships seem to be much more chilled), and I'm quite happy to exist and take up space un-apologetically. In terms of being less self involved, I no longer assume everyone I meet is thinking horrible thoughts about me, or constantly worrying about how the world reacted to me. Now I'm not sure if I don't care, or because I feel less conspicuous I've stopped thinking about myself but focusing on the event or whats going on (it's so nice not worrying/thinking about myself so much)

- My overall mental health would improve, I'm happier, I haven't had a panic attack in almost a year (I used to have them daily), I don't feel worthless anymore and even though I'm not at goal I love myself as I am but continue to want to improve. I feel much less shame on a day to day basis. I had the confidence to start yoga classes, and even though I'm always the worst in the class, I'm not overcome by embarrassment and self hate.

- I would be happy going out without make up. Previously I would never be seen out without full hair and make up, because I felt I had to make twice as much effort to look half as good as everyone else. I thought if I looked even slightly unkempt I would be ridiculed. Now I'm fine popping to the shop without make up and hair scraped back.

Looking forward to the next phase of loss, not seeing any loose skin yet but am likely to have some!

What's the paper towel effect?
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    What's the paper towel effect?

I've stolen the text from http://vitals.lifehacker.com/the-paper-towel-analogy-explains-why-weight-loss-is-a-1733478690 since it explains it better than I could:

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you’ll never see the inside, if you aren’t patient while the outside is coming off!

Wow-great analogy! Thank you for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!