Calories input by users and scanning bar code are different than label info

venus974
venus974 Posts: 5 Member
I searched no name salmon 5 oz on mfp and no calorie count matches the lable on the box, it's 340 each, bar code scan says 270, mfp says 270 and every site I Googled said 270. Anyone know why?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Name specifically what you have. Name the no name store. Give details of product.
    People will help you further.
    Most servings of salmon are only 3.5 or 4 oz. Could that be it?
    Also, aren't 4 oz of salmon only about 100 calories?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I agree with checking the serving size of the entries versus what you have. It's possible your 5oz salmon is approximately 1.25 servings and 1 serving is 270.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Name specifically what you have. Name the no name store. Give details of product.
    People will help you further.
    Most servings of salmon are only 3.5 or 4 oz. Could that be it?
    Also, aren't 4 oz of salmon only about 100 calories?

"No Name" is a brand name.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    venus974 wrote: »
    I searched no name salmon 5 oz on mfp and no calorie count matches the lable on the box, it's 340 each, bar code scan says 270, mfp says 270 and every site I Googled said 270. Anyone know why?

Someone inputted it wrong. After you scan it, scroll down to the bottom and click the box that says "Not correct? Find better Match." There will usually be a list of other items that match the barcode. I once scanned a Mellow Yellow and it came up as organic pomegranate juice. It gets a little frustrating at times but I like to click on the nutritional info when I'm on my desktop to see if other users have confirmed that the info is correct.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    xxmlj82t7ghp.jpg
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    xxmlj82t7ghp.jpg

The background of the picture says something about a marinade. If the product you've got has a marinade or anything other than JUST salmon, that's why the calories are higher.