Eating on the go

How do you busy lot do it ? Traveling, going between meetings , getting your kids ... If you are out all day what do you bring ? I tend not to do working lunches etc because I have to check the place is cealic friendly which is a pain.
Normally I will meal prep but if going too and from with meeting and gyms etc you can't really keep salmon and broccoli in your bag.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi:
    I meal prop on sunday afternoon. Plan my weekly menu on friday afternoon and buy needed ingredients, as per recipe on saturday.
    I prepare 2 -3 different meals, each with 6-8 portions each. let it cool down and pack it at Glass sealed containers ( like Snapware).
    My office has a fridge and a microwave. I pack my lunch before I leave the house in a lunch container with CryoFreeze Ice pack. I leave my lunch container at the office fridge until the appropriate eating time ( morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack). I use the microwave for warming up. I take my own disposible plate and utensils to the office for lunch.
    I hope it helps
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Try making a big batch of Southwestern Black Bean & Rice salad at the start of the week. Portion it into go-containers. You just need an ice pack in the bottom of an insulated bag if you have no access to a fridge. I made this exact dish for a group dinner and the gf folks said it was delicious & extremely filling. Calorie counts aren't bad either.

That's just one idea.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    When you say traveling all day, do you mean you drive between work sites/meetings (so no access to a kitchen/microwave/refrigerator?) I once read a magazine article for people who spend a lot of time in the car that suggested packing a cooler with things like turkey on whole grain bread, yogurt, string cheese, apples, salad with the dressing separate, hard-boiled eggs, etc. If I do batch cooking for times when I wont have access to a kitchen during the day, I make vegan things like quinoa/chickpea dishes. I feel like some of those vegan items hold up better if you don't have access to refrigeration- and I don't mind eating them room temperature. I just make sure to eat them by lunch so they are only out of the refrigerator for 5 or 6 hours before consumption- and again, I wouldn't do this with meals that call for fish or eggs or the like. I also have found disposable cutlery to be a life-saver (though not very green). Good luck!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    I keep a cooler in my car trunk, and I keep knives, forks, spoons and napkins in it. When I know I'm going to need it, I put a large ice pack in there. I've been known to have a "sudden picnic" and it's nice to be prepared!

If I need a quick and low-calorie meal or snack and haven't brought something from home, I can always find yogurt at convenience stores, large pharmacies (Walgreens, CVS), and supermarkets. Most convenience stores will have some whole fruits, fruit salads, or meal salads. I find the meal salads to be expensive and high calorie.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    I'm not even driving working two nanny jobs at two different parts of city one I can cook at but also at meeting in different schools so have to carry everything in my bag
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    How do you busy lot do it ? Traveling, going between meetings , getting your kids ... If you are out all day what do you bring ? I tend not to do working lunches etc because I have to check the place is cealic friendly which is a pain.
    Normally I will meal prep but if going too and from with meeting and gyms etc you can't really keep salmon and broccoli in your bag.

NutritionIX.com
    Pretty neat site and has the info for a lot of food chains, so you can build your meal before you go in
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    meal prep for life. Get a bigger bag and make it work.

I work 5 jobs essentially- if I can't meal prep- I have to go buy food which cost me money and odds are they are going to put me over my calorie goal.

Take an hr or hr and a half and prep on Sunday or Saturday- or whenever you have a minute.