It's a long boring drive

I have a long commute scheduled, twice a week for the summer and I think I'm in trouble guys. I'm driving from 3:30-6pm, then work like mad till 9:30, then head back home and hope to beat midnight. Obviously, I have to pack dinner and snacks for the drive because the first night I was so bored driving I pulled in McDonald's and ordered 4 cheeseburgers just to pass the time! (I've learned my lesson. Shame and tummy ache.) I've got to come up with some strategy to get me through this. Please help with suggestions for commuter food (easy to eat while driving), and things to keep my mind busy so I don't want to munch. I should mention I have no radio in my car, so music or audio books aren't an option to keep me entertained. Thanks for anything you can offer- Sophie

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    There are lots of threads about food for eating in the car. I'm going to address the other issue, which is no radio in your car. Do you have a smart phone or ipod? You can buy a very inexpensive speaker (or find one at a garage sale, freecycle or craigslist) and listen to music or audio books during your drive. I would go NUTS driving that long with nothing to listen to.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I keep a big "Car Cup" of sugar free gum in the car just for this reason. You can also try packing some low cal munchies like cucumbers, berries or grape tomatoes.

And if you have a smart phone, there is no need for a radio. Use earbuds (not too loud, so you don't block out traffic) and download some podcasts or music to listen too. You can use the time to learn Italian or listen to some classic books!
  • kittycatsinunderpants
    kittycatsinunderpants Posts: 43 Member
    I'm usually OK with a quiet ride, but I in combination with late night- killer.
    I'm a little concerned about running my phone battery low on a late night interstate ride. (The plugy-in places don't work either. probably should get my electric checked out, huh?) How much juice does an audio book suck?
  • kittycatsinunderpants
    Jen you are a genius. Or maybe I'm a dunce. GUM! That problem's solved. Thank you. Can I keep you? Lol.
    And I love the idea of using the time to learn something new. Then I can daydream about a trip to Spain too!
  • OyGeeBiv
    Audio books suck a lot of power. Check the fuses in your car! You can probably get your plugy-in places working for a dollar or two. It's a DIY thing.
  • chookywillow
    chookywillow Posts: 270 Member
    have a look on Amazon for mini speakers that have sd drive. I work nights and play one in the day while I sleep. can download what you want.
    food wise frozen grapes and berries are good to suck on. then chomp when defrosted!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 431 Member
    For food - wraps.
  • kittycatsinunderpants
    Hmm. I never thought I could fix it myself. That means I'm gonna have to hit YouTube, which is dangerous. Listen, if I'm not back in time to log dinner send help because I've fallen into a loop.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Hmm. I never thought I could fix it myself. That means I'm gonna have to hit YouTube, which is dangerous. Listen, if I'm not back in time to log dinner send help because I've fallen into a loop.

You can do it! If you have your car's manual, it'll show you where to find the fuses, and have a chart to show which is which. Just be sure the replacement is the same number (amps) as the one you're replacing.

Please come back and let me know it it worked!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I'm usually OK with a quiet ride, but I in combination with late night- killer.
    I'm a little concerned about running my phone battery low on a late night interstate ride. (The plugy-in places don't work either. probably should get my electric checked out, huh?) How much juice does an audio book suck?
    If DIY car repair doesn't work out, you can always purchase a battery pack for emergency phone charging.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Seriously buy a little cheap radio.
    Take a small cooler with you, with ice packs and pack it the night before;
    - Healthy sandwhiches or wraps
    - String cheese
    - Apple sliced
    - Berries
    - Boiled peeled eggs
    - Baby carrots
    - Cheese cubes
    - Pretzels/ crackers/ granola bars
    - And coffee/ tea or water
  • kittycatsinunderpants
    Tonight was MUCH better. I packed a ton more than I needed to (because I didn't want to succumb to the drive through again), munched the whole trip home, and stayed under my calorie goals. You can look at my open diary if you want to see what I ate.

And 64crayons, you were totally right! This whole time it was just a fuse. (I'll bet that's what's up with my cruise control too) So now I have a smart phone and can rock out. That's a life changer, really. Thank you tons.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Yay, I'm so glad to help, and glad it was an easy fix.
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Glad you got it fixed!

To anyone in the same situation, please check your states driving laws to see if you can wear earbuds while driving. It's illegal in my state, but not in all states. Double check, so much better than a ticket!
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Long commutes are typical in the greater DC metro area...mine is 1.5 hrs each way. Listening to audiobooks is good but I can only stand a chapter or two at a time before I zone out. For me, TED talks are much better.... Bite sized chunks of inspiration and intelligent perspectives. Worth a try to get you through. For snacks... Variety is key. Pbj is my go to... So portable. Yogurt based drinks like Kefir are tasty. Always carry water... Flavor enhancers help me on this because I cannot drink a lot of water without something tasty in it.. Menu stomach gets upset. MiO and Dansani have small squirt bottles that have a bit of b vitamin in them. Others have some minerals. I carry two or three varieties in my glove box so any bottles water can become a flavorful drought. Hope this helps.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    edited May 2016
    Deleted - missed the fact that you don't have a radio.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Our library has mp3 audiobooks that I can check out online for 3 weeks. I download them to my phone. I've been commuting since Dec 2007. My drive is much short now, but I still like listening to them.
  • szecsenyi
    szecsenyi Posts: 17 Member
    I listen podcast on long drives. I downloaded a podcast app to myphone, connected it to the car-audio. But you can also buy a cheap bluetooth speaker, which works with 12V (car electric).