Eggs

So I have friend who said I shouldn't be eating eggs because of the yolk. I eat about two to three hard boiled eggs through out the day and he always says that I shouldn't be eating such a high cholesterol food and find something else because they are better foods instead. Will it be better to find something else or just take out the yolk? What is your take on it?

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited May 2016
    Between my wife and I we eat 30 (whole) eggs a week and we both have very healthy cholesterol levels.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Outdated info - eggs are actually one of the best foods in the world.
    Variety will keep you healthy.
    How about grilling chicken? Avocados? Snacking on almonds? Greek yogurt? A mozza cheese stick? Tuna fish can on wheat crackers?
    I carry a protein bar with me in case I get a craving (an idea).
  • x311sublimex
    x311sublimex Posts: 40 Member
    How about grilling chicken? Avocados? Snacking on almonds? Greek yogurt? A mozza cheese stick? Tuna fish can on wheat crackers?

I actually eat a can of tuna and hand full of almond almost everyday as well. Just wondering because the info I've been seeing is that eggs are really good and most of the time the yolk should not be removed unless you do have a cholesterol problem(which I don't).
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Your friend is going off of outdated info. We now know that dietary cholesterol doesn't carry any bearing with blood cholesterol levels and is actually necessary/beneficial for proper hormone production (especially testosterone).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Even the US government has noted that they cannot find any links between dietary cholesterol and cholesterol in food. Eggs are very nutritious and delicious. So enjoy.
  • engagingbliss
    engagingbliss Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2016
    An egg is a complete protein while the yolk contains all the good stuff. Eat the eggs! Your friend is clueless.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Eat the yolk. Your friend is wrong.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member

I actually eat a can of tuna and hand full of almond almost everyday as well. Just wondering because the info I've been seeing is that eggs are really good and most of the time the yolk should not be removed unless you do have a cholesterol problem(which I don't).

Only concern I'd have about eating the yolk is related to fat intake, not cholesterol. Eating the yolk is completely fine. However, eating a can of tuna a day may have some harmful affects from mercury content. It all depends on the type of tuna you're eating and your body's ability to filter it out. You might want to diversify your protein sources.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    I only limit egg yolks when I don't have room for the calories in my day, or if I'm not in the mood for them.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    The best part of the egg, is the yoke..I eat two hard boiled eggs every day for breakfast..I have no cholesterol problems. I also eat tuna fish daily..The solid white albacore..tuna..
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    edited May 2016
    So I have friend who said I shouldn't be eating eggs because of the yolk. I eat about two to three hard boiled eggs through out the day and he always says that I shouldn't be eating such a high cholesterol food and find something else because they are better foods instead. Will it be better to find something else or just take out the yolk? What is your take on it?

They are fine
    The only reason I will skip the yoke and do egg whites is do to calories or my overall fat for the day.

Usually by end of day, I do 1.5 cup of egg white + 2 whole eggs for an omelet...

But again it is only due to my overall fat during the day is the reason I do it.....
    Same as skim milk, I go with that vs. whole milk
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    I eat two eggs a day
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited May 2016
    Friends can say stupid things. Egg yolks are good for you.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited May 2016

Your girlfriend is what they call a fad dieter. She takes the basic of sayings and states them as fact, without being educated on the matter (this is a non-scientific observation, so it could be a completely wrong conclusion). If you do not have a cholesterol problem, then you have no problem with cholesterol. Cholesterol is only bad for obese people that do not use what they give their body by exercising, barring any metabolic diseases. The faster the blood moves, the better it uses nutrients. Period.

I eat 4-6 eggs per meal, sometimes twice a day, and my cholesterol panel is better than most.

Any of these questions could be answered by getting a lipid panel every few months. The numbers never lie.

edited for clarity and grammar.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

I eat 4 hard boiled eggs every day for breakfast. You are fine...
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    You do not have to be obese to have a cholesterol issue..just to correct that statement above that "Cholesterol is only bad for obese people...etc etc" Too many "skinny" people don't think they have a cholesterol problem, and they may.