Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

When is the best time of day to weight yourself?

2»

Replies

• StuartMSimmons
    StuartMSimmons Posts: 3 Member
    First thing Sunday morning. I do not track my weight weekly, I track today's weight compared to what I weighed 1/1/16. That evens out the normal fluctuations.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    I don't think weighing after a shower (unless you have lots of hair)..makes much difference. I have weighed myself at night..and then the next morning after a shower..and I am always lighter the next morning. sometimes as much as 3# lighter. On Mondays..I do my morning workout..have a few cups of coffee..use the "Jim..aka Gym..aka John..take a shower..and I am pretty good at toweling off..and step on the scale..same way every week. As long as you do the same thing..same way..weekly..you can track your weight fairly well.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    If you're using a fat measuring scale, you're supposed to weigh at around 6 PM after a full day, so you are fully hydrated. In the morning your weight will be lower, but your fat% will be sky high.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    If you're using a fat measuring scale, you're supposed to weigh at around 6 PM after a full day, so you are fully hydrated. In the morning your weight will be lower, but your fat% will be sky high.

hah that's odd. My supplement store has one of those machines, and they said if I want to use it, it should be in the morning before I've eaten or drunk anything.
    I wanted to use when I went in there around 3pm, and she wouldn't do it for me, as "it would be inaccurate".
  • merlosc33
    merlosc33 Posts: 38 Member
    Always in the morning
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Anytime, just try to do the same time every time.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    1) Americans know what the loo is.
    2) Why is this in the debate forum and not in general weight loss?
  • Christine_72
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

1) :kissing_closed_eyes:

2) This is the burning question I've been waiting for someone to ask...
  • jodiann_xo
    jodiann_xo Posts: 11 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

1) :kissing_closed_eyes:

2) This is the burning question I've been waiting for someone to ask...

I'm not sure, I'm new to posting.. This is my first post. Sorry about that
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    In the morning before eating and after your first 'weight release.' :D
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Yup, in the morning at about the same time every day. Before eating/drinking anything, after going to the bathroom, and naked.
    Like AnnPT77 said- it's more to give a better comparison than anything. The times and amounts I eat throughout the day are variable, so I wouldn't trust weights I take at night since that could very easily be altered if I had just eaten dinner.
    We tell patients with heart failure to weigh themselves in this exact way to monitor for fluid retention.
  • KatyAverill
    KatyAverill Posts: 166 Member
    I weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom and breastfeeding but before I eat/drink anything or put anything other than my pjs on. If I weigh myself before nursing, I end up weighing a couple of pounds more.
  • hannydeee
    hannydeee Posts: 155 Member
    Every morning, after toiletting and before eating/drinking anything. I track it on the iOS app 'Happy Scale'.
  • therealfitt
    therealfitt Posts: 8 Member
    That's gotta hurt I dont advise anytime of day
  • Christine_72
    That's gotta hurt I dont advise anytime of day

What??
  • hardyd85
    hardyd85 Posts: 21 Member
    Using the scale is ok but using the mirror and a tape measure will give you a better indicator. Your weight can fluctuate about 5 lbs or so pretty easily. It can also be muscle gain. Writing down your measurements will help you stay motivated. I would weigh yourself once or twice a week. I usually do in the morning.
This discussion has been closed.