Peanut butter powder

When I measure 1 tbs of Jif peanut butter powder and weigh it, it's says 14gm. Well the serving size for this is 3 tbs at 15 gm. Confused. Someone please help?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Always use the actual weight -- not tablespoons -- to determine your serving size. This is why teaspoons/tablespoons/cups can be so unhelpful for calorie counting -- what you measure can be much different than the serving by weight.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    i've heard great things about pb2 but i've only seen jif in the super market, is it good?
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    The product has probably settled (a LOT). I would count the actual gram weight and not the volume measure.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Always use the actual weight -- not tablespoons -- to determine your serving size. This is why teaspoons/tablespoons/cups can be so unhelpful for calorie counting -- what you measure can be much different than the serving by weight.

Yes, I weighed it by why would a tablespoon be off by that much? It's a good tablespoon too. I don't get how the serving size says 3 tbs and 15 gm and I'm using 1 tbs getting 14gm!

• Losewtforlife4him
    i've heard great things about pb2 but i've only seen jif in the super market, is it good?

Yes! Very good! I use it only in Greek yogurt with sea salt and pyure sweetner. Very yummy! Just upset with serving measurement not accurate upon weighing it!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yes, I weighed it by why would a tablespoon be off by that much? It's a good tablespoon too. I don't get how the serving size says 3 tbs and 15 gm and I'm using 1 tbs getting 14gm!

Good and bad tablespoons have the same flaw -- foods can be packed into them unevenly. It's not that your spoon is "bad," it's that a spoon is just a terrible way to measure powders (or any solid food, really). This is why scales are recommended for calorie counters.
  • Losewtforlife4him

Good and bad tablespoons have the same flaw -- foods can be packed into them unevenly. It's not that your spoon is "bad," it's that a spoon is just a terrible way to measure powders (or any solid food, really). This is why scales are recommended for calorie counters.

I see why now. Thanks!!

• jessiferrrb

Yes! Very good! I use it only in Greek yogurt with sea salt and pyure sweetner. Very yummy! Just upset with serving measurement not accurate upon weighing it!

thanks! i'll definitely pick it up next time i'm at the market!
  • OyGeeBiv

I use PB2, mostly in my morning oatmeal. I also use it to make peanut sauces for stir-fries. I've never tried Jif peanut powder. I buy PB2 on Amazon.com
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 431 Member

It's great. I eat it all the time, bread, muffins, crackers, smoothies. I don't like the Jif version.
  • jessiferrrb
    Ws2016 wrote: »

It's great. I eat it all the time, bread, muffins, crackers, smoothies. I don't like the Jif version.

noted. i put some pb2 in my amazon cart. along with hershey's special dark cocoa powder. next level protein shakes in my near future.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member

i hate it. i hate all powdered peanut butter. I am pretty turned off by replacements though.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    I usually opt to measure stuff in grams

I like PB2 myself.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I use a food scale but when I started I was using measuring cups and spoons it isn't near as accurate as the scale.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member

It's not the measuring device, it's the product. This is why people say to weigh food, it's more accurate because the weight never changes even as the product settles a bit. More air between bits makes it take up more space, less air equals less space (meaning your 14g now takes up way less space than it did at packaging time when they measured/weighed it). Weigh the food and match to the serving size on the label, and ignore the cups/tablespoons.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    I've never understood the instructions on PB2. Isn't 1 Tablespoon supposed to = 15g?
    Really it should say 3 teaspoons to make sense.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Did you smooth off the top of the tablespoon, or did you leave it heaped?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    64crayons wrote: »
    The product has probably settled (a LOT). I would count the actual gram weight and not the volume measure.

omg, I am surprised how OFF the measurements are weighing vs measuring.
  • OyGeeBiv
    I've never understood the instructions on PB2. Isn't 1 Tablespoon supposed to = 15g?
    Really it should say 3 teaspoons to make sense.

It all depends on how dense the object is. A tablespoon of lead weighs a lot more than a tablespoon of feathers.