Weight training/toning while losing weight?

Options
So I've heard different opinions about this and I just wanted to get some details out. I'm currently 5'3" female age 20 at 230 pounds after almost 9 months of eating healthy and exercising (used to be 263 pounds). I know diet is the most important thing, but I was just wondering if it would help me at all if I included weight training/strength training with my cardio workouts to lose weight and be healthy. I still have a lot of weight to lose of course, so I don't know if the fact that I'm obese makes a difference on whether or not I should weight train. Also, if I lifted weights, would I gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    First question is easy, yes start lifting now! It'll help you retain muscle and make you look more "toned" as you lose weight.

You might gain a little muscle if you're new to lifting but it won't be that much. Also it shouldn't be enough to completely offset weight loss (except maybe a bit of extra weight in the begining due to water retention)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure on the specifics, but I have diet+cardio+weight trained before and as long as I was still losing weight, I was getting more toned and still losing inches :)
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is good for your health and for your physique! It is great for bone density, retaining lean muscle mass while losing, and building a better body shape.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes, do some weight training. It will make you feel better and stronger.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. It is so good for you, builds strong bones, and most importantly, feels good, makes you stronger, and will make you so good about yourself. Do it :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The sooner you start strength training, the better you'll look when you reach goal weight.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    It will be a huge difference adding weight training. Wish I did it sooner! I also add some cardio too.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    A millions times yes. Weight training helps to increase your metabolism.
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Start now ;) maybe check out some YouTube clips or buy a couple intro to strength/weight training videos to make sure you have the right form. Go for it and you're going to love the results!