Limp asparagus

skinnyforhi
skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
Help! I oversteamed a whole bunch of asparagus. Is there anything that can be done at this point?

For the future, any fast, low-fat or fat-free way of cooking asparagus? I'm not worried about oil in general, it's just that I plan to chop this up as a salad base and then add dressing.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I like to fry mine in half a teaspoon of oil. It cooks, but stays firm. If it's too mushy to appeal in a salad, try throwing it in an quiche/omelette thing.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Asparagus soup, maybe?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Asparagus soup for the mushy stuff, or a fancy sauce for something like chicken, or make a dip with beans.

I steam asparagus - just cut the time a little. It's nice grilled too. I don't add any fat or even spray it, just put it straight on the grill as it is.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    if you are planning on chopping the asparagus for salads, i recommend chopping or halving them before cooking them. Boil the water in a pan and then add the asparagus for just two minutes if you want them al dente, and then drain and rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Put them in a baking pan, spray with your favorite oil, dash a little balsamic or lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and bake them at 350 for 12-18 minutes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    if you are planning on chopping the asparagus for salads, i recommend chopping or halving them before cooking them. Boil the water in a pan and then add the asparagus for just two minutes if you want them al dente, and then drain and rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process.

^This. They need a fairly short cooking time if you want them to be somewhat crisp in a salad. Stopping the cooking process will help with that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    pro-tip: when making salads, everything must be as dry as possible, so that the dressing sticks to the salad.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    These are great tips- I think I'll chop and boil and shock in cold water. But tonight I guess it's...asparagus hummus???