Plant based diet want more of the same friends

Replies

• sehenson00
    sehenson00 Posts: 7 Member
    Vegetarian transitioning to vegan. Please add me! I have yet to figure out how to send a friend request on here.
  • Bunnyswife
    Bunnyswife Posts: 5 Member
    I just started a plant-based detox program this week. Four days in, I think this is something I could continue to do beyond the month. I just need to find the right recipes that are going to be delicious and satisfying. Some of the recipes in the detox are tasty, others not so much. As experienced vegetarians and vegans, can you provide any advice to the newbie? Many thanks!!
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    I just started a semi-plant diet but I try to keep the hamburger down to a minimum. I try to eat a lot of fish and salmon. I also, recently found that I LOVE roasted eggplant with olive oil, salt, and pepper. It is delicious! And hardly no or no calories.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Hey there, I'm a herbivore. Please feel free to add B)
    I also have an open diary.

That goes out to everyone, I love having a snoop at everyone's diaries :D
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Vegan 23 from newyork feel free to add me
  • jaynemclabo
    jaynemclabo Posts: 13 Member
    Hey everyone! I've just recently switched to the vegan lifestyle. Please feel free to add me!
  • alexandannikasmomma
    alexandannikasmomma Posts: 14 Member
    I need friends too! I recently decided to stick to my beliefs about being vegetarian ( almost vegan BC I'm intolerant to dairy, not lactose) and considering I live in one of the strongest hunting populations around, I really need support!
  • ChristinaShepp155
    ChristinaShepp155 Posts: 191 Member
    I'm been vegetarian since 11/2015. Just started went pescatarian route back in February. Not a huge fish persn but i dip and dap sometimes. Best decision I ever made with going vegetarian. I'm actually doing a vegan challenge Monday to see how the vegan life is and help make better food choices as a vegetarian. I need more friends that understand all that!
  • boudiepitbull
    boudiepitbull Posts: 128 Member
    Vegetarian here as well. After many years I just reintroduced the occasional egg to my diet. That may or may not be a permanent change once I get back to an ideal weight. I used to describe myself as "trending vegan" because I continued to eat yogurt and some soft and hard cheeses and the idea of giving up small amounts of milk or half and half in my coffee was not even negotiable. My motivation was moral more than it was dietary, so my basic guideline was that if a creature had to give up the ghost in order for me to eat it I wasn't going to go there. That eliminates seafood, poultry, and meat. If you can convince me that plants have a consciousness, then I'm in deep trouble... ;o)
  • annaaj2016
    annaaj2016 Posts: 11 Member
    I have been thinking of becoming vegan for a while now
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Hi. Anyone can add me. I'm a vegetarian transitioning to vegan
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Check out the wonderful website "Forks Over Knives" for some great information, inspiration, and recipes.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2016
    What exactly is plant based, like what are the requirements... Like there are vegetarians who still eat processed foods. Can you tell me more about your restrictions on this diet?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Plant based diet has nothing to do with processed foods... it simply means that you consume no animal products.

I've been vegan for over a decade, Hang around MFP pretty much all the time.
  • ssheflin
    ssheflin Posts: 56 Member
    I have started my transition to vegan. No dairy for 2 months now and slowly cutting out meats. I'm still learning and would love friends for support.
  • kkcruickshank
    kkcruickshank Posts: 59 Member
    Hi! I'm nearly a vegetarian (ocassionally eat fish) and have been eating a primarily plant based diet for about five years now. Add me, let's support each other!
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    smit7633 wrote: »
    What exactly is plant based, like what are the requirements... Like there are vegetarians who still eat processed foods. Can you tell me more about your restrictions on this diet?

my restrictions for "me" are no dairy products, eating plant based meaning fresh fruits and veggies, beans, nuts, seeds. Trying to stay away from most processed foods. Of course I do eat some bread on occasion. Trying to limit my animal products to only 3 times a week.
  • goingtobefit2015
    Plant based diet has nothing to do with processed foods... it simply means that you consume no animal products.

Yes, if you're not careful you can still eat unhealthy and choose foods that are not the best just because they are vegan or plant based. Such as Oreo cookies and junk. That's why I try to eliminate most processed foods best I can. And limit my animal products to 3x a week minimum.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

Yes, if you're not careful you can still eat unhealthy and choose foods that are not the best just because they are vegan or plant based. Such as Oreo cookies and junk. That's why I try to eliminate most processed foods best I can. And limit my animal products to 3x a week minimum.

So we who eat Oreo cookies are considered unhealthy??

My doctor says otherwise, I am in perfect health and eat these "junk" food. ;)
  • goingtobefit2015
    Serah87 wrote: »

So we who eat Oreo cookies are considered unhealthy??

My doctor says otherwise, I am in perfect health and eat these "junk" food. ;)

If you eat them occasionally and don't have a problem, some people can't control portion and end up eating too much of "junk food" that's why people get into the shape they are in, at least for my past. If you can eat them and be in perfect health you are probably one of very few people, congrats!