Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why so many food myths?

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    The government starts more myths than mere mortals do.
    'Green' create more myths to try and get us to do what they want us to do. Kill off cattle and dairy cows except those needed to produce organic fertilizer.
    Vegan fanatics (not all vegans are 'religious' fanatics) spread other myths like that humans are not meant to eat meat.
  • therealfitt
    therealfitt Posts: 8 Member
    Why so many *kitten* questions
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    The problem is that everyone's body responds differently to different stimulus. I work with a guy who is 6'00" and 180lbs, in great shape, but he can eat anything he wants and doesn't gain weight (now granted, he does put the work into the gym). I also work with a guy who puts work into the gym, but has to run a strict low-carb diet to stay leanish. You essentially have to find out how your body responds to different foods.

Or maybe that guy runs a strict low carb diet to stay very lean because carbs do tend to make you retain a tad bit more water. On someone very lean, those few lb of water do make a difference in appearance.

I also just think that people truly look for a shortcut. A way to justify their lack of weight loss. It's not that many of these people are unintelligent. My step mom, for example, is an MD. Granted, not in nutrition. But she's an extremely intelligent human being. However, we recently got into a debate about the Atkins diet. She strongly believes that the only reason people gain weight is because they eat too many carbs. No matter how I tried to explain that it's about calories, she wouldn't have it. I also told her that low carb diets work for many (healthy people) because fats and proteins tend to help people be satiated more quickly on less foods. Which is great! But all she would quote is the Atkins book. She couldn't even think of any studies.

It is true there are a few studies that say short term low carb leads to quicker weight loss. The more longitudinal studies show no difference. Often the low carb studies that do show significant weight loss ARE funded by low carb foundations, such as the Atkins foundation that Dr. Atkins actually founded himself.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Why so many *kitten* questions

Give me your best one.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited May 2016
    Everyone wishes for a magic formula, or to eat as much as they want of at least something. Some of us learn the hard way, I know I did fad diets for many years back in the day. No one wants to have to look at the elephant in the room - caloires. They all want to mask the truth - food energy. I don't care if it's called points, portions, carbons, meal plans, or caloires... Eventually when we face the truth it is all about food energy and we need all the things in food variety with no depriving. Nope, not very exciting. But it's truth and we know it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Because they want to believe there is a "magic" way to lose weight. If that's eating 30 bananas a day or cutting out carbs or vilifying sugar, they want to believe that if they make that one change life will be unicorns and rainbows.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    I understand this has probably been discussed before but I'm finding it a little disconcerting. Every time I log on to the forum I see at least one person regurgitating something I've previously come across from a YouTube "star" or "Expert". Why can't people evaluate sources? So much bad information no wonder people don't know how to lose weight :/

People don't wan to accept the fact that it is solely up to them, personal accountability. It is far easier to believe there is some "secret" or some list of foods, or food combination that will finally be the magic bullet to fat loss.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    PS I went to the links and ...don't, especially the Wordpress one. *shudder*

Of course I had to look. She has a headline: "Vegetables: Friend or Foe?" hahahhahahahahahahhaa...

Scary.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Diet industry is multi-billion dollars.......and people are gullible.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Because they want to believe there is a "magic" way to lose weight. If that's eating 30 bananas a day or cutting out carbs or vilifying sugar, they want to believe that if they make that one change life will be unicorns and rainbows.
    That all honestly sounds worse than just eating less and moving more.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

I know. I was actually thinking of responding to the quote above yours that to me, the path to rainbows and unicorns started the day that I realized that weight loss didn't have to be painful and difficult. That I could lose weight and not have to give anything up, that I could improve my health and my fitness and still eat ice cream and drink wine.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    This seems as a fitting follow up for my post. Woo, including food woo is pretty attractive to some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    This is how I view the food myths...

“I suppose it’s hard for a fanatic to admit a mistake. Isn’t that the point of being a fanatic? You’re always right. Everything is the Lords will…”
    –Varys, Game of Thrones
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Strauss and GoT. This thread just got interesting.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Dietary habits are a religious subject, and have traditionally been prescribed in accordance with the spiritual views of a culture. If you read the old structuralist anthropologists like Claude Lévi-Strauss, you will see immediately what I mean. You might find record of a culture in which every animal they eat is killed ritualistically, as in Kosher-Halal, or is thanked and asked for forgiveness upon the conclusion of a hunt, as in many Native American cultures. You might find rules for preventing cross-contamination between cookware, such as, again, in Kosher. You might find certain foods whose consumption is firmly restricted to ceremonial occasions, as meat was in many kingdoms of bronze age Greece. And then of course we see some foods which are so rarefied and venerated that they can properly be called "sacred foods," such as fermented cod liver oil (according to the WAPF) or clarified butter (ghee) in Vedic India.

Anywhere you care to look you will find elaborate rituals and moral codes governing the preparation and consumption of food. The sharing of dietary habits is one of the chief mechanisms that human beings have evolved to promote group cohesion, and also safety -- when a culture is living in the presence of potential food matter that's actually dangerous, these codes can mean the difference between life and death.

And it's very effective. Life isn't possible without the sustenance and renewal afforded by food, so identifying food with the culture amounts to an identification of life itself with the culture.

There are plenty of theories about why this might be the case, but it's not really worth talking about them in this thread. The only thing that matters is knowing that this is the case. That's why tech-libertarian-brogrammers skew paleo, why hippies skew vegan, why people without any particular subculture eat whatever's cheapest at the grocery store, and why the mainstream culture is convulsed by a sweeping fad every few years. All these groups have their own ideology, and eating in accordance with their chosen diets is a signal to others in the group that one has subscribed to that ideology.

Your question about why there are so many dietary "myths" contains its own answer. This way of thinking about food, having originated hundreds of thousands of years before even the rudiments of scientific method, is mythical in the historical sense of the word, and represents an innate human tendency that appears consistently across massive spans of time and distance, among various peoples who are outwardly very different from each other.

The reason why people are pushing their dietary myths is that they are trying to recruit new members for their tribe. Why do people get so passionate about this? Because in their minds, however obscurely, converting outsiders to their culture is still connected with their own ability to survive. Every convert is a person who can be controlled with law and custom and judicial force, rather than with military force; who won't compete with the tribe for resources; etc., etc.

That was a great read. You've encapsulated several ideas that have been floating around, just out of grasp.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

the path to rainbows and unicorns started the day that I realized that weight loss didn't have to be painful and difficult. That I could lose weight and not have to give anything up, that I could improve my health and my fitness and still eat ice cream and drink wine.

That was exactly my experience. It was a "eureka" moment for me.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited May 2016
    So many myths? Because there are Billions of dollars to be made on this issue. Can't sell books based on plain facts(that anyone would read) so the myths must exist.

They must exist to balance the universe too, as I wouldn't type this if the myth didn't exist.