Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is "refeeding" necessary?

2»

Replies

• KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    foxygirl14 wrote: »
    Just read this article and would like your thoughts.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/refeed/

Bonus question: As a 5'2" female with ~18% bf and eating 1200 cal for the past 6 weeks, do you think I would benefit from a refeed or is that only for 'real athletes'?

Go back and reread your book with 18% bf (and a female ) you are a category 1 in his weight loss, so you should be feeding your muscles and eating more.
  • Chriswashere86
    Chriswashere86 Posts: 14 Member
    Referring/cheat meal. It works. If you think about it, your goal in losing weight is to shock your body, make it work harder, and burn more calories than you take in. If you become adapted to the calorie or macro-nutrient restriction (i.e.: low fat, low carb) diets, by switching it up every few weeks, you are doing just that. Switching it up and shocking the body. You will be in a state of fat burning so when you take in extra calories, the body will use them accordingly. Plus it works as a reinforcement for your good eating behavior :)
  • Chriswashere86
    Chriswashere86 Posts: 14 Member
    Refeeding * darn typos ;)
  • hardyd85
    hardyd85 Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2016
    Not sure what your carb intake is but you can try alternating your carbs. Something like 100grams Monday, 75 grams tuesday, 50 Wednesday, 25 Thursday. The last day bump the carbs up to 150 or so. There are a bunch of protocols for carb cycling that tends to do the trick if your stuck. If your also going on a low carb day your fats should be bumped up slighlty.
  • Ngegee
    Ngegee Posts: 35 Member
    Meh , I'm no nutritionists but sounds like a fad/gimmick. You may think you're a 20(?)something but your body is about 70,000 years old! Thousands of generations before you have evolved to cope with glut/famine, i don't think this will give you miraculous weight loss
  • zoe6724
    zoe6724 Posts: 30 Member
    You should look into reverse dieting so that one day you are able to eat more without gaining weight. The resistance training you are doing is the most important thing for having a healthy metabolism.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    First of all there's not some magical minimum number of calories to eat based on gender alone.

I think refeeds can be beneficial.
  • cowsreaper
    cowsreaper Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2016

Bonus question: As a 5'2" female with ~18% bf and eating 1200 cal for the past 6 weeks, do you think I would benefit from a refeed or is that only for 'real athletes'?

As an athlete I don't agree with this article in the way of just eating everything, but I do believe increasing your raw protein intake and calorie intake is important and can be achieved by refeeding but you have to think onece you start eating that many calories a day you're body will become used to that many so you'll feel the need to eat that many calories a day, meaning if you stop working out you will store it as fat, I reccomend protein powder if your trying to gain lean muscle this will increase your protein intake and not effect your diet as drastically as refeeding.

(PS if your trying to shred out make sure you don't take powders with creatine in them, and make sure you are only drinking water and eating clean, and kill the weight and the running)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    cowsreaper wrote: »

As an athlete I don't agree with this article in the way of just eating everything, but I do believe increasing your raw protein intake and calorie intake is important and can be achieved by refeeding but you have to think onece you start eating that many calories a day you're body will become used to that many so you'll feel the need to eat that many calories a day, meaning if you stop working out you will store it as fat, I reccomend protein powder if your trying to gain lean muscle this will increase your protein intake and not effect your diet as drastically as refeeding.

(PS if your trying to shred out make sure you don't take powders with creatine in them, and make sure you are only drinking water and eating clean, and kill the weight and the running)

Refeeding should generally be done with higher carbohydrate intake for glycogen and any potential leptin upregulation.

I'm curious why you'd recommend against creatine during a cut? It's useful regardless of state of energy balance.