Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is a calorie a calorie?

Replies

• hardyd85
    hardyd85 Posts: 21 Member
    Point was you will be able to more food if it is non junk food. More food per calorie vs junk. Depends if we're talking regular orders or double stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    hardyd85 wrote: »
    Point was you will be able to more food if it is non junk food. More food per calorie vs junk. Depends if we're talking regular orders or double stuff.

Depends on the specific foods, and it depends on whether you are someone who finds volume filling.

I am, so I like to eat meals that are reasonably large (more from vegetables than rice and chicken, however). I also find that it's not hard to add in some more caloric foods simply because I like them, as part of the mix. Lately I've been eating some cheese after dinner, but if I wanted to have ice cream instead it would fit. I am not going to be hungry just because I eat a little something that has more calories and fewer nutrients (like the cheese). It's about overall diet.
  • hardyd85

Some non-"junk" is lower in calorie density than "junk" food, but not all of it. Did you read the examples I gave? Olive oil, vegetable juice, oranges, and pasta aren't "junk," but giving up a small volume of them will make room for an Oreo in your day. 50 calories of rice and chicken isn't exactly a huge portion that will fill you up for hours.

It's not hard to fit an Oreo into the day.

Right because people will only eat 1 oreo. If they did they wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight.
  • hardyd85

Some non-"junk" is lower in calorie density than "junk" food, but not all of it. Did you read the examples I gave? Olive oil, vegetable juice, oranges, and pasta aren't "junk," but giving up a small volume of them will make room for an Oreo in your day. 50 calories of rice and chicken isn't exactly a huge portion that will fill you up for hours.

Right because people will only eat 1 oreo. If they did they wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight.

My knee-jerk reaction was to be like "I'll eat only one Oreo!" Then I thought about that, and no I won't lol. But I will stop at 3, which is 160 calories and very easy to work into my 1400 calorie cut without sacrificing nutrition.

Some glad I'm a male and can eat 2500 calories and lose weight. 1400 calories is pretty close to my breakfest during my bulk. Lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I very regularly have one oreo with a glass of wine after dinner.
  • hardyd85

Portion control is always going to be a factor in weight loss. But I've had one Oreo before. I've had 1/2 cup of ice cream, 1 ounce of tortilla chips, 5 ounces of wine, even one Tater Tot. Would I have liked more? Sure. But I also have the ability to plan a portion size and stick to it.

Saying people should avoid a food because it's easy to over-eat is silly. People over-eat all sorts of things -- including chicken and rice. If someone knows they can't just eat one, they should plan accordingly. But portion control is something we all have to master at some point (if we want to be successful).

It seems like you're moving the goalposts. Your initial argument was that an Oreo couldn't fit in the day because it had too many calories (you guessed it was about 200). When the actual calorie count -- pretty reasonable for a cookie -- was revealed, now the argument is that people shouldn't eat Oreos because they can't eat just one? Okay, does that mean people should never have pizza (eating 1-2 slices can be hard) or salad dressing (I use two tablespoons, but it would be easy to use much more) or put sugar in their coffee (1 teaspoons is 15 calories, but lots of people use much more)?

Not once did I say it could not be fitted into your diet. The above post was asking if a calorie is a calorie. I agreed it is. However you will usually be able to have MORE FILLING food eating non junk food. Go back and read, not once did I say she couldn't have one. Obviously I didn't spell it out and draw it up in crayon for some to grasp it. My bad.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited May 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What wine pairs well with an Oreo? Regular, double stuffed, peanut butter, s'mores? Do you dip it in the wine? These are the important questions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Portion control is always going to be a factor in weight loss. But I've had one Oreo before. I've had 1/2 cup of ice cream, 1 ounce of tortilla chips, 5 ounces of wine, even one Tater Tot. Would I have liked more? Sure. But I also have the ability to plan a portion size and stick to it.

Saying people should avoid a food because it's easy to over-eat is silly. People over-eat all sorts of things -- including chicken and rice. If someone knows they can't just eat one, they should plan accordingly. But portion control is something we all have to master at some point (if we want to be successful).

It seems like you're moving the goalposts. Your initial argument was that an Oreo couldn't fit in the day because it had too many calories (you guessed it was about 200). When the actual calorie count -- pretty reasonable for a cookie -- was revealed, now the argument is that people shouldn't eat Oreos because they can't eat just one? Okay, does that mean people should never have pizza (eating 1-2 slices can be hard) or salad dressing (I use two tablespoons, but it would be easy to use much more) or put sugar in their coffee (1 teaspoons is 15 calories, but lots of people use much more)?

Not once did I say it could not be fitted into your diet. The above post was asking if a calorie is a calorie. I agreed it is. However you will usually be able to have MORE FILLING food eating non junk food. Go back and read, not once did I say she couldn't have one. Obviously I didn't spell it out and draw it up in crayon for some to grasp it. My bad.

I responded to this: "Just look at an oreo for example. Those things are likely 200 calories for 1 cookie. If your only eating 1200 calories a day your going to be starving."

My point is that you *won't* necessarily be starving if you eat one Oreo. Some people might not want to limit themselves to one, but that would be the case for almost any food. And for the purposes of the OP's question, those 53 calories of Oreo aren't different than 53 calories of orange or olive oil or vegetable juice or pasta.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    What wine pairs well with an Oreo? Regular, double stuffed, peanut butter, s'mores? Do you dip it in the wine? These are the important questions.

I'm obviously not the expert here, but I imagine these pairings would work well. Please feel free to correct me if this has not been your experience.

Regular - Grenache or GSM
    Double Stuf - Pinot Noir, so as not to overpower the extra filling
    Peanut Butter - Port
    S'Mores - high-altitude Cabernet

I'd use caution with dipping, as the cream could negatively impact the flavor of your wine. If you eat your Oreos by twisting them apart and eating the filling, dipping the cookie part into the wine is a possibility.

No. Oreos should be paired with a shot of a nice bourbon, over ice. Absolutely not wine.
    I like the ones with chocolate on the in, and chocolate on the out.

And yeah, I eat only a couple of cookies when I do, and also can have a spoonful of a good ice cream and enjoy it. My kids used to make fun of me because I'd buy a twix and eat one, then put the other in the desk drawer and eat it a week later. The only things I need QUANTITY to enjoy are watermelon and popcorn. Very rich things, I like very small servings.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

I don't dip the oreos in the wine, I'm not a savage... ;)

I did find this:
    http://www.popsugar.com/food/Wine-Cookie-Pairings-38049355

I usually drink Pinot Noir or Malbec and have not found that either of those is a poor pairing for any Oreo flavor, other than the Red Velvet Oreos - but I didn't care for those in the first place.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    hdatres wrote: »
    I don't know if you have to burn calories Harder between eating a candy bar or carrot sticks that have the same amount calories.

If you decide you need 1400 calories / day to lose weight, then you just need to stick to that. But, the composition of the calories will determine how satisfied and full you are. A standard snickers bar has 215 calories, so you could eat 6.5 bars in a day to hit 1400 calories. The bars are 1.5 oz so you'd be eating 10 oz of food. Carrots are 186 calories PER POUND, so you could eat 7.5 pounds of carrots to also equal 1400 calories. You'd be eating carrots all day long and still probably not hit 1400 calories.

You need to eat a mix of food, but what mix you eat is determine by what satisfies you and keeps you full. Experiment with different things. If you find you're hungry an hour after lunch, mix things up. Maybe try throwing in a few carrots as a snack to add bulk without all the calories. Or, if you have a craving for chocolate, have the snickers, just make sure it fits within your calorie goal. But at the end of the day, weight loss is about how much you eat, not what you eat.
  • Ngegee
    Ngegee Posts: 35 Member
    I'm no expert but this is a good read , http://goo.gl/5RUdfb - food calories are really only a guide , actually energy consumed will vary with personal metabolism