Too tired fo excerise

I want to start excersing, but with my job as a CNA, I am incredibly tired when I get home, and I dont have energy for anything else! Have anyone else experienced this? And have some suggestions to help me with this?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    My days with workouts are usually 12-14 hour long days with at least a two hour commute. Am I tired? Yes. But it hurts more NOT to go to the gym. Start going, form a habit.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Go before work.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Get a fitbit and let it track your steps and update your exercise. Done!
  • Hyperbum
    Hyperbum Posts: 93 Member
    I'm a nurse working 12 hour shifts and have an 1+ hour commute each way. I have found that if I exercise after work I sleep better and have more energy for my next day. There are exceptions though. Yesterday after a slow 12 hour night I went to bed as soon as I got home as I was nodding off while at work. Tried my daily workout when I woke up and just had zero energy. I just couldn't do it before bed or after sleeping so I got about 15 minutes in and gave up. You just have to read your body signals. I feel worse tonight for attempting to workout when I obviously was so spent. I'll just get it in after work and keep on track. Can't let being tired become an excuse but you also can't let your body down if you definitely need a break.
  • zoemay101
    zoemay101 Posts: 24 Member
    Remember it doesn't need to be everyday. I'm enjoying barbell training and I find I can do it even with feeling tired and the rest days are important and yet I still feel the benefit. I also love Piyo. So now I have a schedule and I stick to it and I don't like missing. What do you enjoy doing?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Hyperbum wrote: »
    I'm a nurse working 12 hour shifts and have an 1+ hour commute each way. I have found that if I exercise after work I sleep better and have more energy for my next day. There are exceptions though. Yesterday after a slow 12 hour night I went to bed as soon as I got home as I was nodding off while at work. Tried my daily workout when I woke up and just had zero energy. I just couldn't do it before bed or after sleeping so I got about 15 minutes in and gave up. You just have to read your body signals. I feel worse tonight for attempting to workout when I obviously was so spent. I'll just get it in after work and keep on track. Can't let being tired become an excuse but you also can't let your body down if you definitely need a break.

^^^^ this. exercise will help you sleep better and have more energy, but getting enough sleep is also essential - you shouldn't skip sleep for a workout if that is what your body needs.

Personally I workout in the morning before work. It fits my schedule and routine, and motivation-wise I tend to find excuses after work (or go out and do other stuff). Morning exercise is my 'me-time'
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Go before work.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Hyperbum wrote: »

This but also there's days I've felt really tired but gone out for a run anyway and I've actually felt better/more energised afterwards.

• KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    It sounds counter-intuitive but exercising on a regular basis actually boosts your energy levels and clears your mind. The key is to not try to do too much at first as it does take time for your body (and mind) to adapt but to be consistent and develop the habit.

This. Start small & build up time/intensity. You will start to find that exercise makes you feel better/have more energy. But it does take a bit for your body to adjust. You kind of have to just grit your teeth & force through the first few workouts/weeks.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    It sounds counter-intuitive but exercising on a regular basis actually boosts your energy levels and clears your mind. The key is to not try to do too much at first as it does take time for your body (and mind) to adapt but to be consistent and develop the habit.

My crappiest days are the one when I sleep in and miss my workout in the morning, I actually feel more tired by the end of the work day.

I will seriously second this. I am newish to regular exercise but when I started getting out and doing it, after just a couple weeks I found that my energy levels are much higher than before.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Get to work 20 mins early. Park your car as far as you can. Walk the property of your job for 15mins, that should be a 1 mile walk. If you want to do a little more invest in some light handweights. Exercise does not have to be at the gym. It's whenever you can get it in!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    I have a weird work schedule that often gives me a lot of time to burn during the day before or after work. If I'm not getting enough exercise, all I want to do is lounge and take naps. When I get up off my butt and get moving, I feel great, power through my work hours, get stuff done at home, sleep well AND (usually) am less hungry. Finding things you enjoy will help, too. I love walking my dogs (and I know it's good for them), and we get rolling and I find it very relaxing and meditative. I also enjoy yoga and riding my bike and dancing. It's far easier to do any of that if I'm feeling sleepy than to drag myself to a sweaty gym.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Start with something simple to get you in the mindset. Like counter height push-ups.