Did you swim today?

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    I swam Monday, Wednesday and today. Warm up, drills (6 kick and catch up), some sprints, breaststroke and backstroke. I was trying to work on where my elbows are and where my hand enters the water in freestyle, my kick in breaststroke and trying to stay smooth AND IN A STRAIGHT LINE :smile: in backstroke. I would say I had the most success with my elbows.

I do use a kick board for kicking drills and I suppose if I did enough yardage it would strain my shoulders but I don't really like doing kick sets without it. It's a crutch I guess. I have been doing IM kick sets and I find that those make me keep my head in line better.

Good luck in London, aliciamariaq!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I'm not doing a lot of recording here. But I'm swimming. Hoo boy am I swimming. I have a 4-mile open water swim in the middle of June and I am starting to stress.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Triathlon Swim Club tonight. 1600m of drills.
    Picture 1 double lane and 6 Swimmers all going in the same direction - same drill - same speed to get that Shoulder to Shoulder crowded feeling.
    200m of warm-up, Front Crawl and 6 Kick Switch.
    800m of front crawl paced drills - lots of minor technique corrections from the coach's.
    100m of simulated Big Wave/Swimmer Induced Turbulence - trying to maintain breathing, site line to target and pace. Amazing how big the Hole in the water is when you rotate your Body/Head for a breath, important to only breath from the " Top Side of the Mouth "
    400m of pack swim around the perimeter of the pool - rotating from back of pack to the front, simulating fighting through the crowds at the start of a swim.
    100m of cool down swimmers choice.

A good group as some of them are from the lessons I took earlier this year, Biking Club or the Running Club ( Beer Club ) so we pretty much all know each other.

Having done ocean swims I wish that I had this kind of training. Love hearing about how to handle crowd swimming!
  • Montepulciano
    Did 3000 yards again today...arms felt like stumps the last 1000. Hour and 20 as a result, but I fought off the temptation to just quit...so that was a win.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Good swims, everyone. The triathlon training sounds very interesting, @juliet3455, if not a little scary.
    Excellent job on the 3K, @montepulciano.

I had 12 days out of the pool and finally got in last night. 2550 in 60 minutes -- have to build pace back up but since I'm biking most every weekday, I will probably slack off in the pool a bit.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    @aliciamariaq look forward to hearing about it and your events and times :smiley:

Might try a swim today. Still quite sore but two physio sessions has helped a bit.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Okay, my crawl stroke fell apart today. I think the kickboard broke it. I swallowed water a couple times, and three times I had to roll to backstroke while coughing. At one point, I was coughing and coughing and backstroking and coughing, and the lifeguard yelled, "Just keep coughing!" with a grin and a thumbs up. HAHAHA
    Anyway, at least my whip kick is showing progress.
  • emmab0902
    2300m

The swimming was ok but the flip turns were very painful!

300 warmup
    3x 200 free negative split on 3.20
    4x 50 fly kick
    4x 100 free on 1.35 holding 1.25 pace
    4x 75 breaststroke on 1.40
    300 back
    200 warmdown
  • NoelFigart1
    @mightylolo The lifeguard was probably relieved that someone could relax and cough after inhaling water. Unless you're a reasonably experienced swimmer, chances are good that kind of thing panics you, and then the lifeguard has to do his thing.

I agree that it's a real pain when your stroke goes all to hell and you start doing stuff like that.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2016
    Did 1825-yard open-water swim in the Adirondacks this afternoon. I was amazed at how warm the water was in May. It's nice to be able to track the mileage on my new watch too. Garmin Forerunner 735XT, in case you're wondering.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    4 miles yesterday and today.
    Yesterday I had the lane to myocardial the whole time.
    Today i shared the lane with a rare crawler.
    I have seen him before. His form is planer. String kick. But his upper body technique is why I am faster. Feet good to be faster than someone half my age and in better shape.
  • fishgutzy
    Robertus wrote: »
    Did 1825-yard open-water swim in the Adirondacks this afternoon. I was amazed at how warm the water was in May. It's nice to be able to track the mileage on my new watch too. Garmin Forerunner 735XT, in case you're wondering.

Outdoor with GPS tracking is the most actuate with those. Once you go indoors then you end up doing a lot of data correction.
    But definitely nice for open water swimming where you don't have a known distance to regeneration reference.
    I tried a different forerunner model but it really was just for land based activity. Returned it.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Robertus wrote: »

Outdoor with GPS tracking is the most actuate with those. Once you go indoors then you end up doing a lot of data correction.
    But definitely nice for open water swimming where you don't have a known distance to regeneration reference.
    I tried a different forerunner model but it really was just for land based activity. Returned it.
    Indoor distance tracking isn't based on GPS, but on the length of the pool and the accelerometer being able to detect your change of direction. Some of the early swim and multisport watches, eg, the TomTom multisport, were notoriously bad, which is why I ended up waiting on Garmin to come up with their version of a multisport/tri wrist-based HRM watch. So far, my 735XT has been spot on with indoor lap counting/distance tracking. No need for data correction whatsoever.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    All work and no swim this weekend...but my end-of-month client is easily half my income some months, so oh well.
  • Montepulciano
    3000 yards in an hour and 10. Felt better, and really focusing on technique has been helpful.
  • fishgutzy
    Last night was packing and cleaning. No swim.
    In Shanghai today. No pool until I get home.
    Airport tomorrow morning at 9:00.
    Next swim will be Thursday morning.
  • emmab0902
    @aliciamariaq you are awesome and you did outstanding!!!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    @aliciamariaq - Wow!! How exciting! Not just your times but the whole experience. Thanks so much for sharing it!
  • NoelFigart1
    @aliciamariaq That's wonderful. Thanks for telling us about it. I'm so glad you had such a good time, too.