Popcorn Recipes/Toppings

Penthesilea514
Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
Hi! I love popcorn but would love to learn some healthy, alternative topping suggestions- or really, any yummy ones would do :) I usually just use some EVOO and salt/pepper but I am looking to change it up. Thanks!

Replies

• shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Spray the popcorn with some olive oil spray, and sprinkle on some Parmesan and Italian seasoning- so good!
    I also like to use cinnamon and Splenda.
  • Penthesilea514
    Yum- thanks, @shaybee377!
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    I really like nutritional yeast. Makes it taste slightly cheesy.
  • JUknowPK
    JUknowPK Posts: 482 Member
    I melt a spoon of Nutella and then drizzle it on the popcorn, add a few calories but it tastes so yummy
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    I like these.....

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Except the Kettle Corn one which was tasteless until I added cinnamon.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Spicy seasoning salt, like Tony's creole seasoning is great. I also love cinnamon & sugar (or whatever sweetener you prefer). Ranch dressing mix powder is one of my kids' favorites. (Add bacon bits if you really want to go crazy!)

Sometimes I'll add popcorn to a high-calorie treat to give it some more volume, like trail mix or nuts.
  • Penthesilea514
    JUknowPK wrote: »
    I melt a spoon of Nutella and then drizzle it on the popcorn, add a few calories but it tastes so yummy

Nutella, yummmmm.
    treegirl97 wrote: »
    I really like nutritional yeast. Makes it taste slightly cheesy.

I have never tried nutritional yeast, but I like cheese so sounds good to me!
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I like these.....

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Except the Kettle Corn one which was tasteless until I added cinnamon.

I thought about buying those shaker but wondered how good they were- glad to know about the kettle corn one, because I really like kettle corn and would have likely bought that one.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I am addicted to Skinny Pop's Naturally Sweet Popcorn.. I literally eat this every single day. They have other flavors chocolate, jalapeno, cheddar and salt and pepper, but these are meh compared to the sweet one!

I have to make room in my calories for this stuff. I should by stock in this company.

As far as making my own as someone else said, spary with oil spray and I will throw truvia over it. Trying to make my own alternative to the Skinny Pop, my version is just meh compared to theirs.

Now when I am really wanting to be naughty with the popcorn (I have a kettle popcorn maker) I will pop a batch, and melt white chocolate and drizzle it over it or regular chocolate. White to me is the best. And to make it a bit more naughty, on the white chocolate throw some toasted coconut when you drizzle the chocolate.

This is not healthy..

So my drabby plain popcorn will be kettle cooked with min oil and nothing on it but a splash of popcorn salt or tony's bold seasoning. I have a recipe for maple bacon I am wanting to try out.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I like a drizzle or spray of olive oil and then one of these:

BBQ Rub
    Parmesan
    Greek Seasoning
    Salt and sugar
    Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper

I also have made a few of these I found in top ten of popcorn in Better Homes and Garden.

Popcorn, turkey pepperoni and pizza seasoning.
    Popcorn, Wasabi Peas, Seasoned Rice Crackers and a drizzle of low sodium teriakyi sauce.
    Popcorn, corn chips, chipotle chili powder and a squeeze of lime.
    Popcorn, yogurt covered raisins, dried fruit and curry powder.
    Popcorn, graham cereal, mini marshmallows, and cocoa.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Nutritional yeast!
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    I like to put some Franks Red Hot on my popcorn! Spicy!!
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Old Bay Seasoning on popcorn is delicious if you like spicy!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    My hubs and I love using our popcorn maker for naked popcorn without oil. http://www.ltdcommodities.com/Housewares---Dining/Tools---Gadgets/Microwave-Popcorn-Maker//prod1221038.jmp

Then we use parkay butter spray and add cheese topping or I like to use bread dipping seasoning.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    My hubs and I love using our popcorn maker for naked popcorn without oil. http://www.ltdcommodities.com/Housewares---Dining/Tools---Gadgets/Microwave-Popcorn-Maker//prod1221038.jmp

Then we use parkay butter spray and add cheese topping or I like to use bread dipping seasoning.

These are great too.....sold at Wal-Mart, etc

k2-_b6ea6971-11e0-4750-954d-80604fadc21c.v1.jpg-5ac8f2e6488760be4597016ab99a3896050e9ec1-optim-450x450.jpg

They have a "power cup"....concentrates heat. Use the cup over & over again. I like popping with 1 teaspoon of oil, so the salt sticks better.

Avoid aerosol butter sprays, the propellants have a weird taste (IMO). I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray (not aerosol) is sold in the refrigerated section and tastes really good.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I 2nd the toppings @teabea suggested...but you do need to like misto the popcorn first or they don't stick. Nutritional yeast is also crazy good on popcorn.

If you weren't looking for super healthy I'd show you this. http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a46072/birthday-cake-popcorn/

I found it in a search yesterday on pinterest for things to do with cake mixes...I've decided there isn't enough cake mix in my life.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Salt and lime with hot sauce all over!! :yum:
  • susanpagegetsfit
    susanpagegetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    salt, lime and hot sauce....sounds mmmmmm!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    JUknowPK wrote: »

Pb2 chocolate or regular works pretty good as well, then just sprinkle a little salt on and boom....salty peanut buttery popcorn
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Sprinkle some amino acids on...delicious!