Economical Chia Seeds?

OyGeeBiv
OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
I keep reading about chia seeds, and thought I'd give them a try. UNTIL I saw the prices! Yowza. Also, so many varieties. The store where I found them charges $18-40 for a smallish pouch of seeds.

What kind do you buy, and what do yours cost? Where do you buy your chia seeds?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Oatmeal. All the soluble fiber for a fraction of the price.

Or measure out your chia with your tablespoon. The seeds swell to many times their size.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    64crayons wrote: »
    I keep reading about chia seeds, and thought I'd give them a try. UNTIL I saw the prices! Yowza. Also, so many varieties. The store where I found them charges $18-40 for a smallish pouch of seeds.

What kind do you buy, and what do yours cost? Where do you buy your chia seeds?

I don't know where you live but when I was in the U.S. Wal-Mart has them pretty cheap in the baking section of the grocery department.

They also have them in the vitamin supplements aisle but they were more expensive there. Shop around and use a calculator if you need to compare price per ounce to find the best value.

ETA: Oh, and to make them last be sure to measure them out by the gram. I like to put 15 grams in my breakfast smoothie. You don't need a lot!
  • yoursingingrealtor
    yoursingingrealtor Posts: 80 Member
    I buy a large pack at Costco
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Amazon had some for pretty cheap.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I get 2 lbs organic for $10 at Sam's club
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited May 2016
    I but them from the bulk section at work. $6/lb, and I get my 25% off employee discount on top of that. Otherwise, Walmart and Aldi both have them for super cheap. Buy them from the baking section instead of the vitamin aisle -- you'll save a ton of money.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm in Australia and the usual price is around $10 for 250g. Where I live anyways. I usually don't have more than 15g a day, so they last a decent amount of time.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I just bought some from Holland & Barrett £4.99 for 250g or £2.99 for 100g.
    I add them to my porridge, smoothies, leave them overnight soaked in water for a chia pudding with fruit nuts added. You can add them to any baking you do.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I see Better Body brand at Winco for around $10 for a 3-lb tub. I get them even cheaper in their bulk foods section.
  • RR0817
    RR0817 Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2016
    I found them here in the U.S. at Kroger for $9.99 for a 12 oz bag of chia seeds. Which to me is a lot because just a small amount of them go a long way. I found them in the organic foods aisle and it's the simple truth brand.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Shop around. As everyone says, with chia seeds, a little goes a long way. I find them to be like tapioca. They absorb alot of liquids and are sort of crunchy which I like.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Its crazy expensive in the supermarkets here in the UK. I buy a big bag off Amazon instead. It comes out to roughly half what I'd pay at the supermarket.

This is the one I usually buy https://www.amazon.co.uk/RealFoodSource-Whole-Natural-Seeds-Recipe/dp/B00EQCWORA/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1464345785&sr=8-4&keywords=chia+seeds

As others have said, measure/weigh it out. I only use about 10 grams at a time.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Aldi - super cheap.
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Wal-Mart; as much as I despise the store it has large containers of chia seeds for around $8. They are in the baking aisle.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I see big bags at my local grocer for only $10, if they're not affordable for you there's no reason you have to eat them. There are no "super foods"
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I was surprised to see them at Walmart. They had 2 different sizes plus small sample packets.

Chia seeds are actually one of the cheapest foods I buy. A jug (I don't know if it's 1 or 2 lb) lasts quite awhile at 1 tbsp a day. I eat them for their omega-3 content. One of the few plant foods that contains more omega-3 than omega-6.

• OyGeeBiv
    Thank you, everyone! I'll check Walmart and Amazon. Thanks also for the tip to look for them in the baking aisle.
  • coconutmango16
    coconutmango16 Posts: 544 Member
    @64crayons I'm not sure where you live, but I'm able to find them at Market Basket (my local grocery store) for a tiny fraction of the cost my local Co-Op sells them for. I found them by accident there :smile: . They're definitely not a necessity, but a nice treat, especially in the summer when I prefer cold foods. They're great in a chia seed pudding and the texture reminds me of tiny boba you'd find in bubble tea.
  • OyGeeBiv
    I'm on the east coast US. I should have said that in my OP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I get mine on amazon. I buy whatever is the better deal at the moment.