Running

I joined a beginners running group club last week.
They started off doing 1minute run,1 minute walk, but I missed it & joined a week later. The week I joined we did 3 mins 4x, I couldn't do...but I'm pleased to say, I've been practising my breathing & did 5x3 last night.
I know it's nothing to you people who have been doing it for years, but to me, it is. I have had 2 hip replacements done, last one was last August & running was the furthest thing from my mind. But I'm really enjoying it.
Thanks for the post it was an interesting read

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Good job!
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Nice job.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Have fun!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    The hardest step is the first one. Good job taking it. Start with what you can do and slowly increase what you can do. You will see improvement which becomes its own reward. Keep it up, you'll like the results
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Know how you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time!

Keep up the good work and stay motivated.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Hooray!!
  • paymentm
    paymentm Posts: 105 Member
    Great job! I'm also new to running as of this month. I've reached run 4 mins, walk 2 mins for 7 reps. If you want a friend for motivation feel free to add :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Keep it up and definitely enjoy it. Each time you put those shoes on and go outside to run, you get better and better and better!

This time next year you may be enlightening us with news of your first race!
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Congratulations on finding running and thank you for giving me hope for the future!

I broke my left hip just over a year ago and had it pinned. Was given the all clear to start running last October with the warning that if the pin fails I will need a hip replacement and won't be able to run - looks like I might be able to thanks to your post.

Take it slow and easy and have fun!
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    I was 40 when I had to have my 1st hip replacement & was told due to my age it will be the type that will give me flexibility (if that's the right word for it) ten years on I have had to have it done again due to a manufacturer fault.
    Yes I'm 50 yrs old now, never though about running before but the club I joined (all beginners in my group) are fab, really supportive, so much so we all put our names down for a 5k run in August ,yesterday. I've only been at the club a week I must be mad. Haha.
    So for those that are thinking about doing it, get out & try, look for a local club, ask your friends (that's how I found out about mine) or do the coach to 5k app.
    For those out there, well done, hope you enjoy it, I do x
  • lisawilkes20
    paymentm wrote: »
    Great job! I'm also new to running as of this month. I've reached run 4 mins, walk 2 mins for 7 reps. If you want a friend for motivation feel free to add :)

Well done keep up the good work, feels good being healthier doesn't it
  • lisawilkes20
    jusbowers wrote: »
    Congratulations on finding running and thank you for giving me hope for the future!

I broke my left hip just over a year ago and had it pinned. Was given the all clear to start running last October with the warning that if the pin fails I will need a hip replacement and won't be able to run - looks like I might be able to thanks to your post.

Take it slow and easy and have fun!

How silly to tell you that you can't run, did they tell you they get you out of bed the very next day & have you walking up & down stairs as soon as they can. It's supposed to make your hip stronger not weaker.
    I'm not going to lie, my 2nd op has'nt been that easy. But my first was fantastic (I couldn't believe it when they said it was faulty) you know your own body when you have something like that done, it's not all plain sailing but it's achievements. Good luck x
  • lisawilkes20
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Keep it up and definitely enjoy it. Each time you put those shoes on and go outside to run, you get better and better and better!

Registerd yesterday for a 6k run! Eeekk!
  • lisawilkes20
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Registerd yesterday for a 6k run! Eeekk!

5k!
  • lisawilkes20
    pondee629 wrote: »
    The hardest step is the first one. Good job taking it. Start with what you can do and slowly increase what you can do. You will see improvement which becomes its own reward. Keep it up, you'll like the results

I'm already liking the feeling of feeling abit fitter. Good job I'm doing calorie counting at the same time though as I'm eating a lot more than usual & of good stuff (mainly)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »

I'm already liking the feeling of feeling abit fitter. Good job I'm doing calorie counting at the same time though as I'm eating a lot more than usual & of good stuff (mainly)

Congrats on starting to run and signing up for a race. Sounds like you are already feeling some of the benefits. You will LOVE the feeling of accomplishment when you complete your first race. Fair warning: Running can be addictive!
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Cograts!!! I start my Couch25k next Wednesday
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I joined a beginners running group club last week.
    They started off doing 1minute run,1 minute walk, but I missed it & joined a week later. The week I joined we did 3 mins 4x, I couldn't do...but I'm pleased to say, I've been practising my breathing & did 5x3 last night.
    I know it's nothing to you people who have been doing it for years, but to me, it is. I have had 2 hip replacements done, last one was last August & running was the furthest thing from my mind. But I'm really enjoying it.
    Thanks for the post it was an interesting read

Wow, that's brilliant! Yay you!

I started running in September and completed C25K on December 5.

I did 5 km yesterday in 27:21, and 15 km today in 1:33:23. I'm planning on doing a half marathon soon.

All those small efforts really add up to big things!

Congrats on your great recovery, and happy running!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Lisa, many of us haven't been running for years or ever. I can only speak for me but you are doing magnificently. I started 5 months ago walking on a treadmill and added speed and inclines and quite inadvertently got myself in condition to run a whole mile.