Huge calves

Hello,
So I have big calves that I hate. They are too big for my body. Question is this: which exercise(s) make them bigger? I want to make sure I'm avoiding those! Does a stairmaster make them bigger?

I'm guessing there's no exercise to make them smaller, so I just want to be sure I'm not making them larger. Thanks

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I have large strong muscular calves, since I started running they have gotten leaner, but still very strong!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Contrary to popular belief, calves are more genetic then muscularly built. If you have big calves, then just WALKING will keep them activated.
    If you don't want them "worked" as much, then don't wear heels, or do any exercises that gets you up on your toes. Unfortunately that will be tough because in some way or another, we still push off our toes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    In a deficit they're not going to get bigger. As you lose fat they might get smaller, but for some of us with genetically large calves or calves that are large from carrying around our overweight bodies for years--they might not get that much smaller. That said, when I am in maintenance I choose not to do any direct calf work.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Some are born with calves, some are born with bulls. Embrace them.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Some are born with calves, some are born with bulls. Embrace them.

Ha! I like that saying.

Apart from ski boot rentals, which typically end up with me wearing comically oversized boots just to get them to close around my calves, I don't really mind mine. Maybe this year I'll buy my own pair of skis and boots.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i have big calves, nothing i do makes them bigger or smaller. i'm screwed when it comes to wearing all the cute boots.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Talk to bodybuilders and you'll find that pretty much no exercise makes your calves bigger to any appreciable extent. You have big calves because you've got the genes for them. I have calves that are thin from the side but wide from the front and I hate mine too. Eventually you just have to resign yourself to pretending your calves don't exist.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Ok so if I use a stair master or something like that, my calves with not get bigger, correct?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited May 2016
    Ok so if I use a stair master or something like that, my calves with not get bigger, correct?

Correct. As long as you aren't gaining fat, you aren't going to gain a bunch of muscle mass either. I'm in the big calf club too. You would not believe how many people with skinny calves envy those of us who don't have to work to build them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    In for pics of big calves.
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    I'll take some from you! I have the opposite problem :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    When I started here at 163 lbs, 5'4", my calves were 16.5 inches :o
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    In for pics of big calves.

This.
  • dmmfox
    dmmfox Posts: 45 Member
    Embrace your muscular calves! Flex them if people stare! For boots, if you look for wide sizes the calf part of the boot is usually also wider.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Like mentioned ed a few times it more about genetics. Surprisingly my calves have been groped at the gym a few times.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited May 2016
    arditarose wrote: »
    When I started here at 163 lbs, 5'4", my calves were 16.5 inches :o

I'm 5' 2" 130lbs and my calves are 16". I've been 30lbs higher and 10lbs lower and my calves haven't changed one bit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    edited May 2016
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Like mentioned ed a few times it more about genetics. Surprisingly my calves have been groped at the gym a few times.

Calf envy is a real thing. My husband has big and great calves and does nothing for them. Meanwhile...

kg6m70h22la6.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I mean... If we're posting calf shots...

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Walking has slimmed down by calves, they are solid muscle, but not muscular if that makes sense?
    However, i will never have slim streamlined legs, it's just not in my DNA :(
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    pilates and yoga and ballet make them feel longer and slenderer than genes made them, helping me be more accepting of whatever shape they are because Hey they can do a lot of stuff. Just the same I won't wear a skirt unless they are covered. Dang.