Gluten intolerant?

13»

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited May 2016
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Martha6010 wrote: »
    I know I'm gluten intolorant. I stopped eating dairy and still broke out in hives then stopped eating gluten wheat barley and havent broke out in hives since. Self treated no more gluten for me. No more hives or tummyaches. Hives were so bad I couldnt shave my legs and I'd scratch so much that I'd bleed. I think I inherited it from my sister she was diagnosed by doctor.

You can't inherit anything from your sister

It is hereditary and will have been passed through the gene pool to both her and her sister. I hope she actually means, that she was made aware of it through her sisters diagnosis and not directly inherited it from her.

ps. how nice of you to just jump on the thread to point out her mistake rather than contribute to the discussion.
  • prettyash777
    prettyash777 Posts: 4 Member
    I just discovered im gluten intolerant. Im just glad there are more gluten free options available now. Also, most foods that are gluten free has it marked.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    I gave up gluten due to migraines. The migraines went away and I've also discovered that if I eat gluten now, I have a stomach ache and generally feel very tired. I also have hypothyroidism which I understand somehow goes hand in hand with gluten intolerance issues.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited July 2018
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    true Celiac disease is best diagnosed by a biopsy of the small bowel. The blood work will can tell if you have some of the markers or an elevated titer. Depending on how high those levels are then the doc will decide if you need the biopsy. A co-worked had some elevated levels but not high enough for Celiac but high enough for the doc to recommend a gluten free diet.

Yes agreed. My mother in law was diagnosed around age 50 and first tested negative for the genetic marker. Upon endoscopy, the damage was undeniably celiac, irreversible damage after losing about 60lbs quickly. It was a hard diagnosis to swallow. She suffered so much intestinal surface area and bone density.
    My husband got tested last week, should be getting the results tomorrow, and get retested every 5ish years. Our insurance covers if there is a first degree relative with celiac.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I have IBS, which makes me intolerant to the starches of gluten-containing cereals (wheat, barley and rye). My previous workplace healthcare had done incomplete notes on whether they actually took the celiac disease blood test or not, so my current healthcare wanted to do the test again. The blood test tests for antibodies, so I had to eat those gluten-containing cereals for an entire summer after successfully eliminating them from my diet because I knew they were unsuitable anyway. That was not a fun summer, but at least I know for sure there’s no celiac disease, and that my symptoms are caused by those cereals. (Yes, I’m aware that the endoscopy is a better option, but healthcare pros wanted to do the blood test first as that could give a resounding ”no” with a far less invasive procedure, which is exactly what the blood test did.)

There’s somehow a big range of different ways gluten and cereals affect people. In my friend group there is a celiac, a gluten intolerant, a person who’s literally allergic to wheat proteins, and my starch intolerance.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    true Celiac disease is best diagnosed by a biopsy of the small bowel. The blood work will can tell if you have some of the markers or an elevated titer. Depending on how high those levels are then the doc will decide if you need the biopsy. A co-worked had some elevated levels but not high enough for Celiac but high enough for the doc to recommend a gluten free diet.

I disagree with this. I know it's an old zombie thread but it isn't quite right, IMO.

Celiac blood tests only test for celiac disease. If it is positive, then you have celiac disease even if a biopsy misses the damage.

It's like a pregnancy test, there is no false positive,

If a celiac test is almost positive, and you have symptoms, I would assume celiac too. The tests are for the autoantibodies, and if they are elevated then gluten is causing it.

There is one old test, the antigliadin antibodies, which was not very sensitive (many false negatives) but it was thought to possibly show non celiac gluten intolerance as well as celiac disease.

TBH, I suspect NCGI could be a firm of celiac that is not as extreme or just expressed in other ways.just my opinion though.