Hello Fresh/Blue Apron

Has anyone tried or are currently getting deliveries from one of these companies? I've researched them and found many people like Hello Fresh better. Was just wondering if it's worth it before I decided I'd want to try it or not.

Replies

• Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    We e been using Hello Fresh for a while. Love it. Meals are really good, easy to prepare and their service is amazing.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Looks great but Hello Fresh only do boxes for couples or families of 4. What about the single people?
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    We get hello fresh and are never disappointed
  • ValkyrieLula
    ValkyrieLula Posts: 28 Member
    I just started (my first box arrives in a week). I'm excited since I enjoy cooking, but finding recipes and planning meals, along with grocery shopping is a hassle overall. So getting everything to the house is amazing.

For single people, Hello Fresh says to order the smaller box and have multiple meals. I usually cook for multiple meals, so it's perfect for my former lifestyle. I now cook for two, but even the smaller box works for how we handle meals.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    I prefer to find recipes that I know I will enjoy, and getting the products much cheaper at a grocer or local farmers market. Lol, I'm not rich, and when I researched those things, they're expensive!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited May 2016
    I prefer to find recipes that I know I will enjoy, and getting the products much cheaper at a grocer or local farmers market. Lol, I'm not rich, and when I researched those things, they're expensive!

Not really when you consider convenience and food waste.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    randomtai wrote: »

I'm not a food waster, though. Price per meal was outrageous. But that was for me ;) I extreme coupon and grow vegetables, so EVERYTHING is expensive in my eyes, lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

I'm not a food waster, though. Price per meal was outrageous. But that was for me ;) I extreme coupon and grow vegetables, so EVERYTHING is expensive in my eyes, lol

Lolz.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member

Yeh if I got the veggie box for 2 people it works out at £6 a meal (£36 for 3 meals for 2 people) just for 1 week and I'm guessing this only does for dinners or lunches so you still have to buy food for other meals and snacks. Way too expensive for me.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    We did a few day trial of Hello Fresh. The food was OK, I suppose, but it's nothing we couldn't have made at home. (Mrs Jruzer is an excellent cook.) The prices were outrageous and I couldn't get over how much waste there was: tiny jars with mustard and ketchup, bags with three leaves of lettuce, etc. I couldn't see doing it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I know a few people who use Hello Fresh and one that used Blue Apron for a while. They all rave about it. I think they are great if you have the extra money to spend and aren't good at or don't enjoy prepping your own meals.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    They're too expensive for me. It seems like it would be a nice gift for someone though. Like, someone recovering from surgery and they can't drive yet, or for new parents. Of course, that's only if they have time and like to actually cook.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I've tried them all and HomeChef was my favorite because it had the most weekly options. Blue Apron is the most complicated prep of the three -- you'll use every pot, pan and utensil you own for each meal. I stopped because I prefer to grill outside and eat fresh veggies from the farmers market while they are in season. But a good way to try things you don't normally eat. FYI -- for those looking for new ideas..... the shopping lists and recipies are online for free. They also have nutritional counts for each meal on each of their websites.
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    I do homechef and love it.. I like the choices and the option to skip weeks if I dont like the options for that week.
  • battyfitch
    battyfitch Posts: 117 Member
    I've used Hello Fresh and Gousto before, but only because there was a good deal on them - like more than half price. Otherwise, no, £4-6 per portion is way too much for a basic weekday meal. They seem to mainly cater to people who can't actually cook, or people who don't have much imagination. You're better off spending the money on a few different store cupboard basics and some spices and seasonings.
  • blkdawn
    blkdawn Posts: 3 Member
    I've used both services and as a single woman, I found it very convenient. Saved me from grocery shopping for much, which I loathe. That being said, after a while the recipes from Blue Apron seemed to be recycling ingredients and I got tired of eating the same things that they tried to disguise as something new.

Run, run, run from Hello Fresh. Although the food was okay, I found that it had too much packaging (bothering the green in me) and I cancelled my subscription. But after that, I got email after email after email after email after email for MONTHS asking me to come back. No matter how much I tweeted, emailed, or Facebooked them, still those emails show up in my inbox. Finally I just started marking them as spam and reporting them to Google.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Meh they look expensive
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    It's expensive, but if you're using them to learn to cook, it'll be worth it in the long run. I know how to cook so I don't need this.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    I look up recipes to learn to cook
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    I agree, but I know someone who was intimidated by choosing and following most recipes, and by shopping for the right amount of each ingredient. She's learning to cook pretty well using one of these, and then I assume she'll move on. Because it is pretty expensive, and you can't get local stuff and I like to shop local.