Healthy Cold Lunch Options

Options
claireswin4
claireswin4 Posts: 18 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Do you have any suggestions for a healthy cold lunch?

I'm getting sick of my boring salad, and would appreciate if you could share your favorite lunches (preferably ones that don't need a microwave).

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I slow cook chicken thighs once a week and shred them to have for lunches (and snacks lol). So I typically make a shredded chicken wrap for lunch using about 60-80g. Very filling, quick and helps me get my protein goal in most days.
  • anneschultz789
    anneschultz789 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Following as I'm always looking for new lunch ideas as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese + ___________.

A relish tray can serve as a snacky type lunch (just make sure protein is in there). Hummus is great for dipping veggies & crackers.

I bring a lot of sandwiches.....pita pockets & wraps are a great way to change things up. Plus you can stuff lots of veggies in there. Tuna salad with chopped green apple and red peppers.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I make wraps with Flatout flatbread (usually kind find them in the deli and they are super yum!). I put all kinds of things in them - lately I've been making them with fresh mozzarella and spinach and then dipping them in marinara sauce. So good!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want salad, but have you considered tabouleh, quinoa salad, lentil salads, chicken or tuna salad, bulgar salad, rice salad, etc?

Whole Grain Salad
  • claireswin4
    claireswin4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas! I'm typically wary of wraps/sandwiches since bread can pack a high-calorie punch if I'm not careful, but if I can find it in whole grain, I'm definitely interested!

@Queenmunchy, I haven't tried those, but I will look into them!

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the ideas! I'm typically wary of wraps/sandwiches since bread can pack a high-calorie punch if I'm not careful, but if I can find it in whole grain, I'm definitely interested!
    You can also use lettuce as a wrap. I like Boston/Bibb variety. You can fill with diced avocado, hard boiled egg and cherry tomatoes. Very yummy. Just about anything you would put in a flour wrap can be put in a lettuce wrap.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @claireswin4 - take a look at the link. There are 39 awesome recipes right there. :)

Quick Healthy Whole Grain Salads
  • slynn92185
    slynn92185 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My new thing is avocado. I either make chicken salad with it (in place of mayo) and then eat it on an english muffin or with pretzels, or I use chicken breast and cut up avocado slices and tomato slices. I just had it for lunch, it was amazinnnng! :)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I eat a lot of wraps, you can make them with low fat wrappers. My typical turkey, cheese, lettuce and tomato wrap is 261 Calories.
  • dwntwn5
    dwntwn5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some weeks I slow cook a boneless turkey breast on Sunday. Then cut it up for the week. It's delicious! I actually have one cooking today b/c it wasn't thawed yesterday! I don't microwave it at work. It's great cold.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I pack bentos for calorie and portion control, mine today was cherry tomatoes and carrots with dressing, orange segment, blueberries, half a one bar, pickles, and some little smokies. I tend to eat in a snacky way. I often have pinwheel sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, onigiri, cheese cubes, just whatever I feel like