Peanut Butter & Jelly

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I'm just here to vote for Jif creamy crunchy peanut butter and nix the jelly.

FIFY. :D

This plus add honey...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I'm just here to vote for Jif creamy crunchy peanut butter and nix the jelly.

FIFY. :D

This plus add honey...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Quest makes a PB&J protein bar that's delicious!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    If you add a shake of salt to your PB2, you'll notice a difference in taste. I've gotten away from sandwiches entirely since it's the bread that has all the calories.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Trader joes creamy pb with salt. Peanuts and salt are the only ingredients. My fav! I grew up with Peter Pan brand and now I prefer Trader Joes.

I also love pb&j sandwiches.. usually now just a half sandwich using 1 T pb.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Easy to make it yourself and you can control what goes into it to make it less calorie dense.
    However, peanuts are high calorie without anything added so be careful. All nut butters are easy to make.
    I use sugar free jam/jelly. My favorite is Smuckers Blackberry.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    If you add a shake of salt to your PB2, you'll notice a difference in taste. I've gotten away from sandwiches entirely since it's the bread that has all the calories.

Aunt Millie's light breads have only 35 calories per slice. A ham sandwich with mustard can be a very low calorie option.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016

Aunt Millie's light breads have only 35 calories per slice. A ham sandwich with mustard can be a very low calorie option.

True, but ham & mustard =/= peanut butter & jelly. :)
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I make a half PB&J sandwich out of:
    * 1 slice Trader Joe's sourdough- 120 cals
    * 1 tbsp Trader Joe's unsalted organic peanut butter- 100 cals
    * 1 tbsp Trader Joe's strawberry preserves- 50 cals
    * Total: 270 cals. Add some fruit on the side and you're still under 400 cals. In my opinion, this is reasonably healthy and filling.

Laura Scudders also makes an all-natural peanut butter. Or I buy unsalted peanuts and throw them in my Vitamix. For jelly, I try to buy jam or preserves that are just fruit and sugar- Stonewell Creek makes some very interesting flavors (though it's more expensive than other brands).

Again, this is just my personal preference and it's been working for me. Not saying this is the only way a person should eat a PB&J, lol!
  • Carlos_421

Not even close.

But 2 tablespoons of Jif on Aunt Millies for 260 calories = a win.
  • AnvilHead

Not even close.

IN!!!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    I use CB's Nuts peanut butter.. its organic and the only ingredient is peanuts. Still high in cals as all peanut butter will be (besides the powder which i hate) if you like pb&j then make it fit. I currently am eating a fluffernutter as we speak.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    fishshark wrote: »
    I use CB's Nuts peanut butter.. its organic and the only ingredient is peanuts. Still high in cals as all peanut butter will be (besides the powder which i hate) if you like pb&j then make it fit. I currently am eating a fluffernutter as we speak.

Fluffernutter..... Yum. I may have to have one too...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2016
    webbz92 wrote: »
    I've always been fond of Pb & jelly sandwiches. However, since I've been making an effort to eat healthy and eat clean, I'm having a hard time finding healthy options. Ive started making half sandwiches instead of using two slices of bread. I've changed to Daves Killer whole wheat bread. I've tried Pb2, not very fond of the taste, though. So far I haven't found a reasonably healthy peanut butter or jelly. What brands do y'all use? The fewer ingredients the better and preferably no artificial or man made ingredients/ chemicals.

I just use Jif peanut butter and weigh it so I use the right amount.
    I skip the jelly or jam most of the time and just have a peanut butter sandwich.

You can make your own nut butters. There are recipes online. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-peanut-butter-recipe.html Looks super easy.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    @Carlos421 which one has 30? I saw an 80 calorie bread on their website but not one with just 30. Still, 80 is low, so I'll look around for it.

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    I like peanut butter on carrots. I never thought to shred the carrots and add them to PB sandwiches, but I may have to try that. I love crunchy food!
  • Carlos_421
    @Carlos421 which one has 30? I saw an 80 calorie bread on their website but not one with just 30. Still, 80 is low, so I'll look around for it.

Hey have a line of "light" breads in wheat, white, potato...35 a slice or 70 for two.

http://www.auntmillies.com/products/breads/1357
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I eat peanut butter sandwiches most every day and in perfect health. ;)
  • AnvilHead

Not even close.

@Carlos_421 (and anybody else) - when you have the calories to spare, try peanut butter on a hamburger (I'm not kidding). You'll never want another one without it!
  • Carlos_421

Not even close.

@Carlos_421 (and anybody else) - when you have the calories to spare, try peanut butter on a hamburger (I'm not kidding). You'll never want another one without it!

Oo I've heard of that but never tried it!
    There's a burger place in Birmingham, AL that has a peanut butter burger.