Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Enamel erosion?

Options
fumfp7
fumfp7 Posts: 37 Member
I don't know if this question fits into this category, or even MFP at all. But I'd like answers before I consult a dentist.
I suffer from a form of GERD so acid is against my teeth a lot. I always wash my mouth with fluoride mouthwash and brush my teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Does my enamel look bad? I'm so worried about my teeth chipping. No comments about my yellow teeth please not all of us can afford to have our mouths bleached :)kj7vmbrincw5.jpeg

Replies

• NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a dental hygienist. GERD definitely does causes enamel erosion. Usually the erosion is seen more behind the teeth where the acid hits. Certain foods also contribute to erosion on the fronts of the teeth. i.e... Drinking lemon water, and other acidic foods. It's good that you use a fluoride tooth paste and rinse. Also drink or swoosh with water to neutralize the acid. You shouldn't brush right after the acid hits your teeth as it can cause more erosion. Better to swish with water. Unfortunately emamel doesn't grow back. I also recommend sensodyne Proenamel tooth paste. It's really hard to tell from the pictures if its actually erosion. Your dentist or hygienist will be able to tell better than I can from the picture.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also the chipping can be due to grinding and clenching your teeth.