Is there a healthy substitute for crackers?

2»

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Mmm, besides some dehydrated veggies (cauliflower, kale, or zuccini), try baby food! Ferber graduate puffs are 1/2 cup (about 60 pieces) for 25 calories!
  • babyxfangs
    babyxfangs Posts: 14 Member
    I would suggest a butter popcorn or cheddar rice cake? Somewhat less calories, but still salty and crunchy. It could at least help you wean yourself off the Ritz.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    There's nothing wrong with not bringing home a food if you don't feel in control around it.
    We used to plow through sugary breakfast cereal like mad- no bowl was too big for cereal!
    Stopped buying it, stopped eating it. Been years and I don't miss it at all.
    So maybe you take a break from crackers and realize they aren't really that wonderful. Or you realize you can't live without them. Won't know unless you try.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    i dont know which country you are in but here in australia we have lower fat versions like salada or breton otherwise you could try rice crackers
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I like the 34 Degree crackers. 9 crackers for 50 calories and 11 carbs.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    If the issue is that specifically rich, buttery crackers are so tempting for you to binge on, then switch to less attractive crackers, so that it's easy to stop yourself after just a few since they're not as delicious. Saltines, or rice crackers (found usually in the gluten free section), both lack that richness, and should be easier to limit yourself with.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    I would just stop eating them completely - maybe it's because I don't get the appeal of crackers but I'm sure you will get used to it in a couple of months or weeks. These things are just habits really and once you don't do them for a while your brain forgets all about them.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    A serving of Ritz crackers (5) is only 80 calories. Can you not find a way to work that into your day? Using MFP is not about depriving yourself, it's about exercising moderation and balancing the foods you eat each day such that you are both meeting your nutritional goals as well as learning to eat in a way that you can sustain for the rest of your life. If you love Ritz crackers that much, don't eliminate them from your diet. Reduce/monitor your portions and find a way to fit them into your day.

I'm used to eating 1/2 a rack to a rack at a time (I know, bad). That's why I'm trying to limit how much I eat and I'm afraid, at least at this beginning stage, that if I allow myself 5 crackers I'll end up going back for more.

It's like these people have never had Ritz before. Lol
    I've had to cut them out completely because like you I'd eat a whole sleeve with a whole lot of peanut butter.
    I've liked eating Pirates Booty, or Air popped popcorn. Gives a nice salty savory crunch but low calorie for the volume in a serving
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    You clearly have Ritzy taste. I'm more of a Wheat Thins man myself, they're sturdier and wheatier. Little lower in calories I think, and they fill me up more than Ritz.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Flackers. Crackers that you make out of flax seeds. Lots of recipes out there.