Weighing chicken?

Are you supposed to weigh chicken before or after it's cooked for proper calorie count?

My raw 3.2 oz breast became 2.3 oz of cooked meat.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    The information on your nutrition label is for the raw weight (unless the label specifies otherwise). If you need/want to weigh it after cooking, that's fine. Just be sure you're choosing an accurate and appropriate entry from the database that specifies it's for the cooked weight (ie you wouldn't use a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc)
  • MissNicolioli
    MissNicolioli Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2016
    Wow, the database is all over the map. I looked up "chicken breast cooked" and put in 3.2 oz for 5 or 6 of the choices. I got numbers from 190 to 130.

Meat is hard.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    The information on your nutrition label is for the raw weight (unless the label specifies otherwise). If you need/want to weigh it after cooking, that's fine. Just be sure you're choosing an accurate and appropriate entry from the database that specifies it's for the cooked weight (ie you wouldn't use a grilled entry if you boiled it, etc)

This. If you can find a USDA entry (use USDA when you search) that will help you out a bunch.