Strength training no burning calories

Hey!
Why the hell doesn't my strength training show Calories I am burning !!

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Because it can't calculate how many calories you actually burned. There are too many variables to consider in order to do that, how much weight your lifting, the intensity of the lift for you, your own body weight, your strength level to begin with. I wouldn't worry about it though, you aren't burning that many calories strength training to begin with. The caloric burn from that is generated by the repair process and recovery. It just increases your resting energy burn. I never calculate lifting calories and just use it as insurance in case my food weights and calories are off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Look it up under cardio
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Strength training doesn't burn a lot of calories. I don't log in strength training.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Cardio section is where you log stuff for calorie burn; Strength training section is just a way to log workouts.

That said, "strength training" means different things to different people. There is traditional heavy weightlifting; high-rep, minimal-rest circuit training; bodyweight training, etc. All have radically different calorie burns.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    chiptease wrote: »
    Strength training doesn't burn a lot of calories. I don't log in strength training.

This.
  • SamanthaIrving1990
    SamanthaIrving1990 Posts: 24 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Cardio section is where you log stuff for calorie burn; Strength training section is just a way to log workouts.

That said, "strength training" means different things to different people. There is traditional heavy weightlifting; high-rep, minimal-rest circuit training; bodyweight training, etc. All have radically different calorie burns.

Would think it would still burn or log - but I'll start putting it into cardio.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    It is a shame but it is hard to calculate it will vary greatly based on the type of strength you are doing. I just track cardio calories. i track weight, reps and sets so I can see progress but overall I just take that as extra burn. And it helps sometimes when I flub up my food. ;)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    chiptease wrote: »

This X2.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    hill8570 wrote: »

I second this. I have had some lifting workouts that had me breathing as hard as cardio. I moderately factor them into my budget and and it works just fine.
  • brenda_men
    brenda_men Posts: 13 Member
    I'm using a polar chest strap heart rate monitor and I burn 200 calories per hour for lifting during the work out. Im pretty sure I burn more 24 hrs. After that.