30 Day Sugar Free Diet

Hi there,

I'm new to this site and hoping that it truly helps me with my weight loss journey. As of tomorrow June 2nd, 2016, I plan on starting a 30 day sugar free diet, and I'm wondering if other people we're willing to join me! :smile: I have a spouse who says that he'll join me in making changes but he never sticks to it making it difficult for me to keep at it. This time there's no turning back for myself. I'm going to do this with or without his help. Hoping to hear from some of you soon! :smile:

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    What goals are you hoping to accomplish by eliminating sugar? Do you have a plan for after the 30 days?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2016
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    What goals are you hoping to accomplish by eliminating sugar? Do you have a plan for after the 30 days?

^^This. Also, how will this help your weight loss? How much are you looking to lose, and what's the plan for keeping the weight off?

ETA: The reason for these questions isn't to attack or make you feel bad, it's to make sure you have a long term sustainable plan that works for both you and your husband in place so the weight doesn't come back. You definitely don't want to go through all of the trouble just to fall back to old habits and have to do it all over again! Also, welcome to MFP! Please ask questions as we're always happy to help!
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited June 2016
    Sugar is the only thing keeping me going right now with a preschooler and a 3 month old who nurses like a friggin savage! However, I'm still losing weight :wink:
    If you want to eliminate added sugar (I assume that's what you mean?) then by all means but it's really not going to do much if you're only doing it for 30 days. Weight loss and health changed have to be doable for life in order to last for life.
  • ravengal180
    ravengal180 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2016
    Hello!

It's very doable - not challenging unless you make it so. I generally keep my daily added sugars very low, as the latest guidelines recommend no more than 10% of daily calories from added sugar.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    It is impossible to totally eliminate sugar, nor should you, your body needs it.

Your body needs glucose not sugar. They are different things.

I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative here. Sugar is something most people eat far too much of. If someone wants to do a detox for 30days why not? We do not NEED sugar, it's a substance that has no nutritional benefit to us.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It is impossible to totally eliminate sugar, nor should you, your body needs it.

I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative here. Sugar is something most people eat far too much of. If someone wants to do a detox for 30days why not? We do not NEED sugar, it's a substance that has no nutritional benefit to us.

Because no one should be on an all meat diet...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016

Glucose is sugar.

Full Definition of glucose (Merriam Webster)

1: a crystalline sugar C6H12O6; specifically : the sweet colorless soluble dextrorotatory form that occurs widely in nature and is the usual form in which carbohydrate is assimilated by animals

2 : a light-colored syrup made from cornstarch

Eliminating foods with added sugars is great. When you say you are going sugar free for 30 days, or however long, say you are eliminating candy, pop, cookies, cakes, pies, alcohol, processed foods, etc, not that you are going sugar free, it is impossible. Very misleading to say you are going sugar free.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

One word: Pleasure.

Some people can succeed long term with elimination diets but the vast majority cannot.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »

One word: Pleasure.

Some people can succeed long term with elimination diets but the vast majority cannot.

I think the word is carbohydrates. Pleasure isn't a nutrient.

(assuming you were responding to the nutrition benefit remark since 30 days is hardly 'long term')