I am loosing it today...

I have been more active and diligently logging my calories for almost a month now have so far lost just over half stone. I have been quite motivated and it has been really easy... so far.

My weight over the years has been variable but I am one of those people who have always been on the heavy side. It has been a life long combat and I never really won but three weeks ago I felt ready to try again - some of you may know that feeling - that determination to change for the better. I feel very differently today. I feel that the calorie restrictions that I have imposed myself are a burden. I was envious of a (slim) colleague of mine who could have a piece of cake at lunch without caring for her weight. And then there is me, having to count every calorie I eat, having to make the "good food" choices in hope that the stupid scale is going to be merciful in a couple of days time.

I knew I was going to have those days when I started but today I am really loosing it so if anyone had similar thoughts and managed to find motivation to continue, please do share how you managed to snap out of it. Thank you!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    How do you know the colleague isn't also counting calories and just happened to fit cake in her daily allotment? :huh:
  • hisham_ugm
    hisham_ugm Posts: 1 Member
    Hmm nice... Don't loose de curves
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Good progress so far and good for you for realizing you WILL have these kinds of days. It's normal. When that happens I just stop thinking about what I want and don't want or what I feel like doing and don't feel like doing. I just distract my mind with other things and continue with my plan for the day as far as diet and exercise. You'll always feel better afterwards.

As far as the slim co-worker eating cake? No one is immune to excess calories. So she ate cake at lunch, but I'd bet she compensated for those calories elsewhere in her day. Maybe she didn't eat breakfast. Maybe she'll have a smaller dinner. Really doesn't matter.

This is about YOU, YOUR body and YOUR life. Don't worry about others when you really don't know the whole situation. Comparison is the thief of joy.
  • helives1
    helives1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016
    Mind over matter. I have never been consistent. This is the first time I have been eating healthy and working out for 4 months straight. Yes once in a while I have a cheat snack or meal but I do not deprive myself. Yes at times I feel like giving up and throwing in the towel. But I have to keep pressing and pushing. I pray and let my self suffer but not giving in to giving up. Its going to hurt but in the end it will be well worth it. Keep pressing, keep fighting. Keep in mind that you are not alone.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Boy do I know the feeling. I was a skinny kid and when I hit puberty the genes from dad's side of the family kicked in and I've been fighting it ever since. I've started and stopped MFP a few times over the last few years. I'd get to the point where I felt I was denying myself what I wanted to eat, then some event (holiday, work trip, etc.) would come up that got me off track, then I'd just stay off track. This time around I'm paying attention to the advice that "you can eat anything you want, but fit it into your calories". Yesterday it had been about three weeks without pizza (in the past that would have been about 2.5 weeks too long), so for lunch I went to our local Italian place and hand one slice thin crust with Canadian bacon, a side salad, and unsweetened iced tea. Dinner was a little lighter than normal, but I enjoyed my pizza and it took away my craving it until the next time (and I kept within my calories for the day). I guess my point is, we don't have to feel deprived, but we have to learn that when we do enjoy our "bad" food, we have to do so in moderation. You're not alone.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    I know exactly how you feel about seeing skinny people eat. I do that often when I'm out with friends and family. In my head I'm thinking why can they eat all the chips and salsa or bread and I can't. But when I really think about it some of them work out regularly, they run or they watch what they eat other times but it doesn't always help to be rational. You just have to find what works for you. I try to find foods I think of as decadent but are low calorie that helps me feel like I'm indulging like everyone else. Sometimes it's creamy egg yolk or garlic hummus.
  • marty_smith
    marty_smith Posts: 102 Member
    edited June 2016
    Listen, this isn't going to change in 3 weeks or even 2-3 months. This is a lifestyle choice for at least 6-7-8 months. The longer you do it for the easier it gets, you get into a routine and it gets easier to say no, i promise you that. I have been going for 3 months now and i have lost 2.5 stone so i know what you're going through when you talk about the bad days and being envious of other people eating.

This wont last forever, once you reach your goal weight you have to switch back to your maintinence calorie amount which in turn will let you have the odd sponge cake at work one day, and you will have extra snacks through out the day to take your mind off it. I CANT WAIT for the day i can start having buiscits with my tea every morning at work, but right now i cant afford to have those 2-300 calories every day.

My last point is this. Because its such a long term "project" if you will, reducing your body fat and weight, you have to understand that its OKAY to have a piece of cake at work as a one off (once every couple of weeks). Yes you will feel abit rubbiah with yourself to do it but if it helps you to think "right ive had that now, lets move on" then do it. I have a dominoes pizza every fortnight at the weekend for example.

Also, wait til you step on the scales after what you thought was an okay week of dieting to find out you haven't lost any weight! That will test you! But its normal.. Have patience and be in it for the long game. Commit to it 5/6 days a week for minimum of 3/4?months and you will reach your goal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    How do you know the colleague isn't also counting calories and just happened to fit cake in her daily allotment? :huh:

^^ exactly

Don't be disheartened or look at others. Keep up the good work, you are already seeing results so stick with it. Just think in 3, 4, 5 months time how great you'll feel as you continue losing :smile: Rome wasn't built in a day.