Working out and water retention

Hi, does anyone know if this ever subsides or will there always be water retention from working out? I'm not an expert by any means but some have said your body retains to repair the muscles? I'm mainly doing strength exercises (body weight stuff, I don't like lifting) with some hiit cardio.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Looking at your food diary, you consume quite a bit of sodium. Maybe the water retention is related to that and not working out.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    Looking at your food diary, you consume quite a bit of sodium. Maybe the water retention is related to that and not working out.

+1 If it's a consistent problem it's most likely consistent high intake of sodium. To flush it out of your system you can drink a lot of water or watch your sodium for a few days and your body should let go of the water weight.

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member

Yes I'm aware of that. Raw veggies also make me bloat, as does getting a period or hormonal changes. I was asking about working out and water retention because I've read about it from other posters on other sites.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    For me....every time switch up my lifting I start retaining water. It lasts a few days and then it's gone...untilthe next time I switch things up. It ebbs and flows like everything else so I just ignore it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Just about every time you work out, you'll retain some water. It's typically "worst" when you begin or change a routine, but it'll pretty much always happen. As long as you know what it is and why it is - which you seem to - just acknowledge it and carry on.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Just about every time you work out, you'll retain some water. It's typically "worst" when you begin or change a routine, but it'll pretty much always happen. As long as you know what it is and why it is - which you seem to - just acknowledge it and carry on.

Awesome possum, thanks
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    For me....every time switch up my lifting I start retaining water. It lasts a few days and then it's gone...untilthe next time I switch things up. It ebbs and flows like everything else so I just ignore it.

Me too. I seem to retain at least 2lb of water, sometimes 5, when I change my routine or add weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    If you've started a new workout regime then water weight happens but it disappears usually within a few weeks as your body gets accustomed to the exercise and the muscles don't need to hold on to so much water for repair.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member

Yes I'm aware of that. Raw veggies also make me bloat, as does getting a period or hormonal changes. I was asking about working out and water retention because I've read about it from other posters on other sites.

Just a suggestion in case you weren't aware ;). Anyways re: water retention for working out I'll echo what runrutheerun wrote.