Your jobs !

What are your occupations? Is it a sedentary or an active job? And how do you manage to be active at your job / after you are done working ?
Just curious :)

Replies

• modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    I'm at a desk all day so I'm completely sedentary. I like to do yoga in my office at lunch (which is quite fun with my glass door lol) and occasionally I'll go for a walk. But the second I'm home I hit my home gym. My family knows its always part of my routine. It feels wonderful after a day of sitting
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I'm a dental hygienist, which is pretty sedentary because I sit while treating people all day. Nothing I can do to change that.... Im set to "lightly active" though because I strength train in the morning before work, and walk with my dog in the evenings. Sometimes I walk on my lunch hour too.
  • daniii756
    daniii756 Posts: 51 Member
    I am a hairstylist so my job is active by standing and using my arms all day and either on my days off or if i finish work early i hit the gym 4-5 days a week my mom helps me out with the baby as much as she can....and if i can only do 4 one week ill add in taking the baby out for a walk or use the stairs in my apartment building as cardio
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I also have a desk job. Today I walked to Starbucks with some coworkers for some fresh air. That happens maybe twice a year. Lol. I tend to just bring my lunch. All my workouts occur before or after work.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Desk job. I drive straight to the gym after work. Hike on weekends. Try to walk places if I can.
  • cafisher0404
    cafisher0404 Posts: 77 Member
    Desk job as well. I do the gym after work, usually every other day. I also walk on my lunch breaks. I set MFP to sedentary.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I drive a mouse. I do my sleeping late and exercising in the morning. Company doesn't mind if I drag in around noon. I'm set to sedentary. I could, if I chose, walk up and down the stairs, but I haven't chosen to do that twice.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »

Adorable brood you've got there *♡*

Haha they're cute but mental patients and exercise terrorists the lot of them!

• sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    I climb poles, crawl around in attics and pull cable 10-14 hours a day. Fortunately I gave a 4 on 3 off schedule so I can get plenty of gym time on the weekends.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Desk job here too. Most of my adult life I was on my feet and on the go. Have to make myself workout as soon as I get home or I won't do it. I also work 4 tens so I try to hit it real hard on Saturdays and Mondays.also travel alot, like right now, so I always hit the tm at the very least.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2016
    Comercial carpenter and bust *kitten* all day.

I workout directly before work usually 4am , four times a week for two hour sessions.

I have to eat at least 4000 calories daily to maintain and even more once baseball season starts. So lots of ice cream and pasteries.
  • ValkyrieLula
    ValkyrieLula Posts: 28 Member
    Another desk minion. I work as an application developer. But I get up every 45-60 minutes and take a couple of laps around the floor to stretch my legs and take the stairs up from lunch (4 flights). After work, I'm working through Insanity 4 days a week, play in the company volleyball league once a week, and run once a week.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Mouse pushing empty nester who stress-busts with after-work workouts. Gotta go do one now!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I'm a veterinary technician so I'm on my feet pretty much all day unless I'm doing follow up phone calls so I'm sitting down talking on the phone to clients. I'd say 85-90% of my day is spent on my feet. I generally average 8-10k steps by just being at work.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited June 2016
    I clean houses, and most days I clean 3 of them (2 1/2 hrs each), some days only 1 (5 hours), and other days 2 (3 hours each), most times there is a short drive in between (10 minutes tops), other times a good 20 to 40 minutes. After work most days I do nothing, but sometimes my husband and I will go for a walk or a bike ride. I get on my treadclimber 3 days a week for 30 minutes before work, or I go walk in the cemetery (set on a hill), we also go trail riding on some weekends. My calories are set at 1000, my activity is set to sedentary and I eat back most of my exercise calories.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    In what seems like another life I was a corporate tax paralegal which was basically as sedentary as possible and I walked at lunch. Now I like to think of myself as a grossly underqualified zoo-keeper or asylum head, there is a slightly greater level of activity required for this position . I manage to stay active by staying up until 11-12PM to workout after all three have gone down for the night. Occasionally they do strength training "with" me...doom always ensues. Hide your wife, hide your free weights ;)!

qq54eb4hbdfo.jpg

Ha! I'm with you. My 2 year old likes to "help." I was doing glute bridges this morning and he thought it was hilarious to sit on my stomach. Sometimes he commands me to do burpees.

Fortunately he likes the gym daycare and loves to go for stroller runs, so I have no trouble getting in workouts. I'm a nurse too (on my feet all day, lifting heavy patients, etc), but I only work 2-3 shifts a month right now. Zero exercise on work days that isn't work related.
  • nurseytess
    nurseytess Posts: 9 Member
    Visiting hospice nurse, so decent amount of on my feet time and lifting patients, but lots of sedentary driving time too. I used to get way more activity when I was a floor nurse! Didn't sorry for 12+ hours straight
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    I work as a librarian. I sit a lot of the time, but need to get up to help find things, and fix computers, etc around the library. I work 22 hours a week, so I drive 20 miles to the gym every other day to work out, then go to work. Since the weather has been decent, I've been walking outside in the evenings more also.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I am a desk jockey as well but I work for an awesome company that has a gym and a locker room/shower onsite. Plus I have a great trail to run on at lunch time and recently I got a standing desk. Then to top it off I work at home at least once a week so I can work out here.

Because of this we have very low turnover. I've been here 20 years and I'm not even close to the senior person in my department (I'm in I.T.).