help a girl scared of healthy food!

2»

Replies

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    luuby86 wrote: »
    I completely get this! As a youngster I hated practically all forms of fruit and veg. As a baby being weaned my mum used to mix mash potato and scrambled egg together and feed it to me. I used to be able to separate the egg and mash in my mouth and just swallow the mash and force the egg back out....

So you ate the veg and spat the rest out? Is that not opposite of the OP?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ^^

Yes ... I don't like mushrooms I've tried them many times in different ways and ... I don't like mushrooms. But I'm not afraid of them. They don't scare me. I just don't order dishes that contain mushrooms, or if I'm served a dish that has mushrooms, I pick most of them out.

My husband doesn't like peas. Never has, probably never will. He does the same thing I do with the mushrooms ... avoids them if possible or picks most of them out. But there's no fear of the peas.

Ha ha I do the same thing with pickles. I hate them. HATE. I always have. Although I will try them from time to time (cos sometimes my tastes have changed) but I still hate them and will pick out any bit or piece of pickle out of anything rather than eat it.

But scared? No. That's just silly.
  • luuby86
    luuby86 Posts: 10 Member
    amyr271 wrote: »
    I completely get this! As a youngster I hated practically all forms of fruit and veg. As a baby being weaned my mum used to mix mash potato and scrambled egg together and feed it to me. I used to be able to separate the egg and mash in my mouth and just swallow the mash and force the egg back out....

So you ate the veg and spat the rest out? Is that not opposite of the OP?

The point I'm making is that I'm now able to tolerate foods that I couldn't when I was younger. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough...
  • luuby86
    emdeesea wrote: »

I get this but she's claiming that she's "scared." How the heck can you possibly be "scared" of food? That makes no sense at all and sounds to me melodramatic.

The same way you can be scared of anything in life. People who are scared of clowns make no sense to me but it doesn't make their phobia any less valid.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    I've been unhappy with my body for a while, probably because I am a teenager! but other than my appearance I am generally really unfit and unhealthy. I really want to improve my diet but I don't know how... I have selective eating (basically means I've been diagnosed as a fussy eater) and I cannot eat fruit or veg! simply because I'm too scared :( this is a major set back for me trying to become healthier and I was wondering if anyone had any advice/alternatives xx thankyou xx

It's not a teenager thing, it has no age restriction feeling like that. Is selective eating actually some sort of medical condition? Sure I've heard it actually has a proper scientific sounding name. I can't really see how you can't eat fruit and veg, but maybe you could try one of those greens powders (I'd recommend The Protein Works version) and mix it into flavoured protein powder.
  • luuby86
    Machka9 wrote: »

Eggs are not fruit or veggies ... and yet mashed potatoes is a vegetable.

The point being made is that your tastes may change as you get older. Sorry if my example was a poor one......
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Talk to your parents about seeing a therapist if you've been diagnosed with this and it is a real issue for you. The only way to get over it is to get a handle on it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    The earlier you develop a healthy relationship with food the better.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    I'm in my thirties and don't eat raw fruit. The thought of the skin, crunchy textures, juice and random bits popping and bursting is just torture to me.

Cook or blend them and I'll have them all day.

It wasn't until I went to uni did I first eat a mushroom of pepper. Cooking is all about experimenting, for example, boil a parsnip and it tastes quite floral or soapy, roast them and they are sweet and yummy.
  • elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    I second the advice to find a good RD (registered dietician) to work with you. A relative of mine is an RD and for a while worked at a Wegman's (I think...or another chain) as an RD giving classes, esp. to teens and liked working with teens w/ eating disorders. Chat them up and if you find one you like (or call around to offices), try and set up appointments to work w/ them. Before you go, try and figure out what scares you about it. Texture? Taste? Food safety?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Are you eating for "health" or to lose weight? If the latter, just eat what you want but make sure your calories for the day are under your TDEE.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 431 Member
    Be incremental in your approach. Add some veggies to your smoothies. It will mask the taste and texture. Give yourself a pat on the back for eating veggies. Then find a recipe or two of veggies prepared in a way that you think you might like - e.g. cooked carrots with brown sugar, if you like sweet things. Explore the world of cooking in that way to add a little adventure to your veggie trek.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I get this but she's claiming that she's "scared." How the heck can you possibly be "scared" of food? That makes no sense at all and sounds to me melodramatic.

you've obviously never watched Steven Kings 'IT' then!!!
  • annierwfrost
    annierwfrost Posts: 3 Member
    cross2bear wrote: »
    What is it about fruit or veg that scares you? Neither of them will bite you back!!
    Texture. When I was tiny (about 3) I got chicken pox inside of my mouth which made eating disgusting, particularly the texture aspect. I refused to eat fruit and veg at that time and it stuck, and the easiest way for me to describe it now is like a phoebia. I've tried but it smoothies etc from the shop but I never pluck up the courage to actually try them. If I could just get over it and do it I would have a long time ago!

• annierwfrost
    annierwfrost Posts: 3 Member
    I really don't get this, afraid of a fruit or a vegetable. Either you need a psychiatrist or you're being disingenuous. What are you living off of now? Heck, even french fries are vegetables. All bread and meat maybe?

I'm sure you have phoebias aswell, mine is just slightly odd and I'm pretty embarrassed about it, but it's not like a have a choice. Try googling 'selective eating' and you'll understand that I'm not being melodramatic and that you age being rude. My diet currently consists of mostly white carb filled food like plain pasta, noodles, chips and a lot of meat and sweet stuff with a few exceptions like potatoes, tomato sauce only on pizza, spinach. Because of how bland my options are I find eating boring and I don't tend to look forward to it
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member

People have legitimate irrational fears and phobias. OP needs to see a therapist/doctor/dietitian to get real help.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    cross2bear wrote: »
    What is it about fruit or veg that scares you? Neither of them will bite you back!!
    Texture. When I was tiny (about 3) I got chicken pox inside of my mouth which made eating disgusting, particularly the texture aspect. I refused to eat fruit and veg at that time and it stuck, and the easiest way for me to describe it now is like a phoebia. I've tried but it smoothies etc from the shop but I never pluck up the courage to actually try them. If I could just get over it and do it I would have a long time ago!

Texture vary widely between varieties and cooking methods. A roasted sweet potato feels nothing like a raw apple or a grilled pepper! I second (or third, fourth, or fifth) the recommendation for professional help :smile:
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    I'm a recovered agoraphobic (suffered for 10 years). I get the whole fear/anxiety thing. But, you are empowering something else while not taking ownership and responsibility for what you can do for yourself. If you're still a minor, hop off social media and go talk to real people (parents/health practitioners). You may want to do that anyway, even if you are over the age of being a minor for your area.

The Internet has a tendency to screw with our perception of reality and interactions if we are trying to work through stuff like this. You say your phobia developed when you were three. Seeking professional help will guide you past being "stuck" at the three-year-old reaction.

They may suggest some hard tactics, such as supervised "flooding" (ex. for me, it was simply opening the door and walking outside, staying there for 5 minutes OML... :o ). It may be an incremental approach (smoothies, adding the fruits/veggies to other textures, introducing dried, etc). The tactics you agree upon will depend on your typical physical and mental reactions. This has to be your journey and your choice. You have to decide if the fear is larger than your will to live and be healthy. Stay strong, and much love to you <3
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Wow - how have you been doing in the last nine months?
  • Jessicanorthwood
    Jessicanorthwood Posts: 5 Member
    I think you're looking for the work Lachanaphobia! And I completely understand how you feel because even at age 21 I am completely the same, if a fruit or vegetable goes in my mouth I gag until I'm sick, I absolutely cannot help it. I've found chopping up vegetables extremely small and putting them in everything has helped me a lot, for example onion in brown pasta pomodoro. I've managed to lose 12lb so far just fine simply reducing my portions and swapping 'bad' food for 'better' food, for example swapping chips for a small jacket potato. Dietitian didn't help me much either, I think my issue runs too deep, but good luck to you! :)