Do you have any tips for someone that is about the start the couch to 5K

Do you have any tips for someone that is about the start the couch to 5K.

I have never been much of a runner but i would like to stick at it and manage to run 5k without stopping :)

Replies

• HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Go at your own pace. In fact probably go a bit slower! I remember trying to run really fast when I started C25K which did not go well! It's better to run at a comfortable pace that you can sustain and finish each day.

Good luck! I'm sure you will love it!
  • mclelis
    mclelis Posts: 26 Member
    Do you have any tips for someone that is about the start the couch to 5K.

I have never been much of a runner but i would like to stick at it and manage to run 5k without stopping :)

There is a Group right here on My Fitness Pal, very helpful! good luck you can do it!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Go a little slower than you think and don't be ashamed or afraid to repeat a week. Week 5 looks aweful down the road but you'll be ready when you get there. Good luck
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    I'll echo the "go slow and repeat" sentiment. The real goal is to be out there every single week, not to burn out, get injured and discouraged. Even if you're walking, you're going faster than everyone who is on the couch. If your run intervals are super slow jogs, you're still faster than a ton of people.

Congratulations on getting started!
  • LyndsayAnne316
    LyndsayAnne316 Posts: 15 Member
    I have just signed up to my first 10k (probably not the smartest idea I have had, but there we go) and I haven't ran in 15 years since I was in school. Three mantras are constantly going through my head that was given to me by a regular runner friend of mine;

1. It is YOUR race. Go at your own pace, don't focus on how fast anyone else is running, it's all about you.
    2. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you go, just get across the finishing line.
    3. You can do it!

Maybe these three wee mantras can be of assistance to you in your progress of your C25K. :smiley:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    go slow. go slower than you think is slow. then go slower. Seriously, the way to build stamina is to go slow and do the 'run' portions, even if you could pretty much walk them at the same speed. Speed comes later.

Keep your steps small, keep them beneath your body which will keep you stable. It might not feel slow that way. Aim to be able to have a conversation whilst running.

yes, you can repeat a week or a workout, but do that too many times and you may feel like never getting past week 5. If that happens, then go slower. That truly is the best way to break through it.

By the end of the programme you probably won't actually be running the distance of 5k, but that doesn't matter, you can build on it.

Good luck. I finished c25k not so long back after a number of wobbles and half hearted attempts, now I'm regularly running 30/35 minutes 3 times a week working my way up to a 10k (I have a 7.5k trail run booked for July)

most of all, enjoy it!!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    what waffle said.
    go slow
    take rest days
    don't look ahead
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    go slow. go slower than you think is slow. then go slower.

most of all, enjoy it!!

This. Only....go even slower!

• kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    If you've never run before, and especially if you're at all overweight, the C25K goes a pace that is too fast, imo. The advice of going slow is good advice if you're using the app. Take the app and make your own schedule.