30 Day Sugar Free Diet

124»

Replies

• tripple7
    tripple7 Posts: 22 Member
    Every food on earth needs to be eaten in moderation as "too much of anything is not good for you". It's called a "balanced diet" for a reason, therefore, no need to completely cut out sugar.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I'm working on cutting down on added sugar, as long as I'm under the recommended amount of 20g a day for added sugar only, I'm happy with that. I find I don't crave sweet foods as much as I used to and hoping to see some good results on my next blood test.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    Nope. I'll pass.

Since I have no medical reason to avoid sugar, there's no reason for me to do something which, for me, is not sustainable long term.

I think maybe a lot of people decide to reduce sugar or whatever their poison happens to be now to prevent any future health problems, rather than wait for any issues to show up. Prevention is better than cure type of thing.

I dunno, just my theory.

None of us come out of this alive.

Amen.
  • LegionOfMonsters
    LegionOfMonsters Posts: 5 Member
    No added sugar :smile:
  • LegionOfMonsters
    Zella_11 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm new to this site and hoping that it truly helps me with my weight loss journey. As of tomorrow June 2nd, 2016, I plan on starting a 30 day sugar free diet, and I'm wondering if other people we're willing to join me! :smile: I have a spouse who says that he'll join me in making changes but he never sticks to it making it difficult for me to keep at it. This time there's no turning back for myself. I'm going to do this with or without his help. Hoping to hear from some of you soon! :smile:

Hey OP! Do you plan to still eat fruit? Are you talking about added sugar or sugar in general? Regardless of your sugar choices, be sure you are eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight :) Best wishes!

Still eating fruits :smile: avoiding added sugars.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Zella_11 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm new to this site and hoping that it truly helps me with my weight loss journey. As of tomorrow June 2nd, 2016, I plan on starting a 30 day sugar free diet, and I'm wondering if other people we're willing to join me! :smile: I have a spouse who says that he'll join me in making changes but he never sticks to it making it difficult for me to keep at it. This time there's no turning back for myself. I'm going to do this with or without his help. Hoping to hear from some of you soon! :smile:

Hey OP! Do you plan to still eat fruit? Are you talking about added sugar or sugar in general? Regardless of your sugar choices, be sure you are eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight :) Best wishes!

Still eating fruits :smile: avoiding added sugars.

Glad you clarified OP, cuz your title topic says 30 Day Sugar Free, not 30 Day Avoiding Added Sugars, kind of a difference there, and pretty close to impossible to do.
  • LegionOfMonsters
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    What goals are you hoping to accomplish by eliminating sugar? Do you have a plan for after the 30 days?

^^This. Also, how will this help your weight loss? How much are you looking to lose, and what's the plan for keeping the weight off?

ETA: The reason for these questions isn't to attack or make you feel bad, it's to make sure you have a long term sustainable plan that works for both you and your husband in place so the weight doesn't come back. You definitely don't want to go through all of the trouble just to fall back to old habits and have to do it all over again! Also, welcome to MFP! Please ask questions as we're always happy to help!

I don't feel attacked at all :smile: it's a very good question for sure, and any tips or advice I can I truly appreciate. Once I've done the 30 days I'm hoping I can stay away from refined sugars and stick to only what's natural. Of course the natural sugars in fruit as well as maple syrup, agave syrup, molasses, honey, stevia, date sugar etc.

I'm hoping that doing this not only helps me lose weight and get rid of the addiction but I'm hoping it gives me more energy. I have two wonderful children (5 and 3months) as well as two step children (4 and 5) and I'd like to keep up with them much better.
  • LegionOfMonsters
    Serah87 wrote: »
    ameliadlt wrote: »
    I'm working on getting as close to whole and plant based as possible, following the 5 ingredients of less rule on any processed foods as well as no added sugar. I think its a good idea for everyone to rid things from their diet if only to feel how much these things affect you.

Keep it up!

I eat everything in moderation making sure I hit my macros and micros!! I have more energy and sleep better. Have excellent blood work and my doctor says I'm in the best health ever!! Lost 121 pounds and now been maintaining for all most 2 years.

Congratulations on your success. :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    What goals are you hoping to accomplish by eliminating sugar? Do you have a plan for after the 30 days?

^^This. Also, how will this help your weight loss? How much are you looking to lose, and what's the plan for keeping the weight off?

ETA: The reason for these questions isn't to attack or make you feel bad, it's to make sure you have a long term sustainable plan that works for both you and your husband in place so the weight doesn't come back. You definitely don't want to go through all of the trouble just to fall back to old habits and have to do it all over again! Also, welcome to MFP! Please ask questions as we're always happy to help!

I don't feel attacked at all :smile: it's a very good question for sure, and any tips or advice I can I truly appreciate. Once I've done the 30 days I'm hoping I can stay away from refined sugars and stick to only what's natural. Of course the natural sugars in fruit as well as maple syrup, agave syrup, molasses, honey, stevia, date sugar etc.

I'm hoping that doing this not only helps me lose weight and get rid of the addiction but I'm hoping it gives me more energy. I have two wonderful children (5 and 3months) as well as two step children (4 and 5) and I'd like to keep up with them much better.

Honey and all those things you listed are still sugars.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Maple syrup, agave, and molasses are all produced through refining other foods (not sure about date sugar, but it may be too). I'm not saying this so you will avoid them (I eat all three of them), but I don't understand why one would avoid one refined sweetener and include others (unless it is just a matter of preferring a certain taste).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

I have all those sweeteners except for date sugar, which I have used in the past. I've also used brown rice syrup. What I stock now I do so for taste, though. (I have stevia but don't use it b/c I don't care for its taste when I add it myself. I like it when brands like Celestial Seasonings has added it to tea.)

For baking I use less refined/unbleached cane sugar from brands like Florida Crystals. This is more as a political statement than because I think it is better for me.

After a few years of experimenting with non-cane sweeteners I realized I didn't see a benefit other than different tastes for different recipes. Molasses is key to gingerbread, for example.

What did benefit me was simply reducing the amount of baked goods.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

Good for you for making the first steps! :smile: I just wanted to make sure to explain my approach because sometimes it's easy to forget that we were all new once, and it's a learning process, for sure!
    My absolute first bit of advice would be if you don't already have one, pick up a food scale. This can be a great tool because you can use it to weigh your servings out according to what's on the nutrition labels. This was REALLY eye opening for me when I first started because I learned really quickly how small a serving actually is for things like pasta, versus how much I thought it was!
    Also, I've found it helps me to plan meals in advance. If I already know ahead of time each day what I'm having, it helps to keep me on track so I'm not saying things like "oh, I'll stop and grab a pizza on the way home" every night.
    Whatever eating approach you decide to take, make sure it's something you could potentially see yourself doing for life. Going back to "normal", aka your old habits, is what causes the weight to come back. It takes a little playing around, but you'll find what works best for you.
    Above all, be patient and learn to forgive yourself. It's a learning process!
    Good luck, OP! I'm rootin' for ya! :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Nope. I'll pass.

Since I have no medical reason to avoid sugar, there's no reason for me to do something which, for me, is not sustainable long term.

I think maybe a lot of people decide to reduce sugar or whatever their poison happens to be now to prevent any future health problems, rather than wait for any issues to show up. Prevention is better than cure type of thing.

I dunno, just my theory.

Indeed. That's why I'll continue to eat all sugars. I've lost over 80lbs this way and have perfect blood panels, too. It's sustainable long-term for me.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Nope. I'll pass.

I dunno, just my theory.

Indeed. That's why I'll continue to eat all sugars. I've lost over 80lbs this way and have perfect blood panels, too. It's sustainable long-term for me.

^Awesome! Sustainability is what will serve us best in the long term! Losing is only part of the battle. We need to think ahead to what will work for us in the long term.

I have been on MFP for over 4 years now. Lost over 1/2 of my current body weight, and have been @ maintenance for over 2-1/2 years. The firs two months on MFP, as a newbie, I did not eat any sweets at all. Almost exactly 4 years ago, there was a post on here about eating what you really like, only in moderation. Ever since then, that is exactly what I have been doing. Works very well for me, and I don't feel deprived of anything.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Nope. I'll pass.

I dunno, just my theory.

^Awesome! Sustainability is what will serve us best in the long term! Losing is only part of the battle. We need to think ahead to what will work for us in the long term.

I have been on MFP for over 4 years now. Lost over 1/2 of my current body weight, and have been @ maintenance for over 2-1/2 years. The firs two months on MFP, as a newbie, I did not eat any sweets at all. Almost exactly 4 years ago, there was a post on here about eating what you really like, only in moderation. Ever since then, that is exactly what I have been doing. Works very well for me, and I don't feel deprived of anything.

Fantastic! Congratulations on your weight loss and bro-fist for the maintenance. This is truly awe-inspiring.

Deprivation has always been my downfall, not 'bad foods'. Deprivation always lead to binges. Not worth it.
  • cherie303
    cherie303 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been trying to do no sugar ( or less than 50 grams carbs) for a while. I'm in!
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    I've been doing no added sugar for the past 15 days but still eat lots of fruit! On an autoimmune paleo diet to help heal my eczema and alopecia, feel free to add me if you'd like! :]
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @louisepaul16 re finding restaurant nutritional info. You don't happen to live in Australia? I'd have better luck digging up a 100kg gold nugget from my back yard than i would finding the calorie/macro information from most of our restaurants :angry:
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    @louisepaul16 re finding restaurant nutritional info. You don't happen to live in Australia? I'd have better luck digging up a 100kg gold nugget from my back yard than i would finding the calorie/macro information from most of our restaurants :angry:

No. Haha. I live in Switzerland actually. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

No. Haha. I live in Switzerland actually. ;)

Well it seems our countries have the same aversions to posting calorie counts.