Red Wine

ekim2016
ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
Ok, I quit all alcohol March 1st. I thought weight would melt away but did not. So I joined MFP 17 days ago and lost 6 pounds so far. I've debating starting to drink a glass of red wine per day. Your thoughts??

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Doesn't matter if it fits in your calorie goals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Quitting alcohol will only make the weight melt away if it creates a deficit.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    1. If you are an older woman the British medical advice (I think) is that one small (125ml) glass of red wine a day is good for your heart.
    2. You also need to know that teetotallers don't live as long as those who drink alcohol in moderation.
    3. Alcohol has very little nutritional value and is stuffed with calories and it's sugars are very quickly metabolised by your body.
    4. Wine stimulates appetite for food and for more alcohol.
    You have to decide what food you need to keep in your diet and what foods you want to give up (permenantly or temporarily).
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    If it fits your calorie goal it is fine. The only reason I don't drink as much as I did before is if I replace 300 calories of food with 300 calories of alcohol (or any drink) then I am likely to be hungry later and out of calories. I try not to drink a lot of calories in general so now I usually just stick to one drink. Sometimes I will have a drink when I haven't hit my goal yet and I'm not really hungry for food but I need more calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It seems odd to ask others whether you should drink wine or not, but I'd say if you don't have any history of alcoholism, you can drink it and still meet your personal goals and you enjoy it yes, drink it. Why not?
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Make room for it in your calorie allotment. One glass a day has also been proven to have health benefits. Enjoy!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Well, you went 3 months with alcohol so clearly you can stop at 1 (which means no issue with fitting it in your calorie goals). Cheers!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Yes to wine, beer, vodka, bourbon.... :) As long as you maintain your planned deficit and consume in moderation.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    If you don't have room for it try running! Running makes room for my scotch, wine and beer.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Have you tried Casillera Diablo carmenere? It's totally worth the calories every once in a while!
  • ekim2016
    Thanks for all the input. I know it seems odd to ask others if I should drink, but I was baffled that stopping did not melt the pounds away. I figured the extra calories from drinking was keeping me fat... so now I know if I chose to have a glass of merlot on occasion just factor in my calories.... cut out my apple a day or whatever.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Red red wine, goes to my head. Makes me forget I still need to count calories.
  • ekim2016
    still not a drop of alcohol since March 1 and the weight HAS melted off!!! thanks to that and CICO and mfp woo hoo...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Maybe there's an option between all and none, like once in a while. What has worked for me is drinking on occasion -- like with a nice dinner or a night out with friends. On other days, i prefer my apple.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    I factor in a glass of red wine almost every day. It's an excellent motivator at the gym :) I can do without cookies but wine, fuggeddaboutit.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    At one point I was drinking one glass per night, and it didn't affect my weight loss at all. I only quit because I decided I would rather eat the calories instead.
  • ekim2016
    edited December 2016
    I decided to hold out for one full year and see where I am next March 1. I still have a wine cellar and liquor cabinet full !!! Ageing respectfully...So I will never say never to drinking again, but for now I am on a mission to get back to 185 where I was in college days. (when I started drinking)
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    Ok, I quit all alcohol March 1st. I thought weight would melt away but did not. So I joined MFP 17 days ago and lost 6 pounds so far. I've debating starting to drink a glass of red wine per day. Your thoughts??

I drink 2 glasses about every other night. I make sure it fits in my diary. I love red wine. It helps me calm down after a long day.