Body Pump results?

Has anyone had good results from going to Body Pump classes? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth a $49/month gym membership vs. my current $15 membership.

I had been doing stronglifts 5x5. My problem is that when I'm working out alone I lose interest & motivation quickly. I prefer group classes. So I'm wondering if going to Body Pump might be a good option at least for a while until I'm more comfy going over to the free weight section of the gym by myself.

Thoughts?

Replies

• caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    I love, love, love my body pump classes at the Y. I don't do well on my own, so the class setting is perfect for me. Within 4 classes, I was already seeing a difference.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    body pump classes are more of a general fitness class, even though they have a bar with weights and do some of the lifts. They are fast paced, low weight , high rep ( i mean super high rep) programs. But they are fun, they'll get your heart pumping with music and stuff. I train for strength, and sometimes i do body pumps when i need a mobility type workout just to get my blood flowing, but i get no strength training benefit from them, not with those reps and weights. Give a class a try and see if you like it.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    body pump classes are more of a general fitness class, even though they have a bar with weights and do some of the lifts. They are fast paced, low weight , high rep ( i mean super high rep) programs. But they are fun, they'll get your heart pumping with music and stuff. I train for strength, and sometimes i do body pumps when i need a mobility type workout just to get my blood flowing, but i get no strength training benefit from them, not with those reps and weights. Give a class a try and see if you like it.

That's such a bummer. I wonder if I could modify with more weight and less reps. I wish there was a weight lifting for women class.
  • SonyaCele

That's such a bummer. I wonder if I could modify with more weight and less reps. I wish there was a weight lifting for women class.

well i tried one time to make a workout out of it, and loaded up the bar , but i felt weird doing 5 slow reps when the rest of the class was bouncing around like bunny rabbits. You could give it a try, but like for squats there is no way to get it heavy enough to get on your shoulders, without a rack. And for strength i like my rest times and there is no resting with a room full of bunnies. But... it is a good class for what it is and what you can make of it, it all depends on what you want. For endurance its awesome. Those ladies can bench press 500 reps, jump up and squat 500 times and ask whats next.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    I tried to do bodypump over the winter as my cardio (I'd been running SL for about a year at that point). Twice strained muscles trying to keep form and keep up with the very rapid reps. Not for me.

If you throw out everything you know about weightlifting and treat it as a cardio class with weights, you might like it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

I tried this- It was super awkward to have a class of 50 people all squatting a million times while you're going slower and heavier. That's what actually pushed me out into the weight room!

I haven't done SL but it's so highly touted by people on the forums that I would stick with that!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    At my gym we have mossa not les mills. There is a similar class called group power. I tried it a few times but didn't really like it (I'm a heavy lifter type). The one thing that annoyed me is the back track. It was mostly romanian dead lifts and rows but they threw in just for fun clean and presses. I can high rep row/dead lift way more weight than high rep clean and press so you are stuck rowing and dead lifting a ridiculously low weight. I just don't get it.
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Body pump is why i started weight training. Its fun but as already raised, low weight high rep. My struggle with it is that to keep time with the music, i sometimes had to compromise on form. I found my squats were half ar$sed to get them done within the beats of the music which made my knees hurt.
    You should get results if you are challenging yourself. Some of the ladies in my classes were in great shape.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    I started out with Body Pump and got into great shape. I went 2 times a week and just walked or did spin 3 other days. It is fun to work out with a group. They were limited in to how heavy you could lift in there of course, but my legs had never looked better than when I did that class. So if it's something you'll do and stick to, I say go for it.
  • kmaf2016
    kmaf2016 Posts: 51 Member
    I too love bodypump which I do on a Friday but as previously mentioned because of the high reps etc I don't always feel like I can challenge myself enough and because of the high reps I sometimes can start to lose form which is probably why I never go higher than what I currently do but like you I too got bored of doing weights by myself, I much prefer a class
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Thanks for the replies! It's too bad it has to be low weight/high rep. You'd think they'd have a women's heavy lifting class. I wish...
  • SonyaCele
    Thanks for the replies! It's too bad it has to be low weight/high rep. You'd think they'd have a women's heavy lifting class. I wish...

find a powerlifting gym in your area. if you wanna lift heavy, you might really love powerlifting, all we do is lift heavy.
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    I love body pump! They have so many great variations especially with timing and how long you do each exercise. The music is always bumping and watching everyone around me working hard is super motivating. Unfortunately my membership at brick bodies is getting too much for my budget so I'm planning to cancel but I'll be able to use all the routines ice learned these past months to workout alone. I would recommend it!