Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pure cardio over the long term is a waste of energy and time.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I only lift heacy with a bit of walking for medical reasons. Am I wasting my time because I'm not doing plyo or p90x?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I only lift heacy with a bit of walking for medical reasons. Am I wasting my time because I'm not doing plyo or p90x?

Your doctor should be able to tell you if more cardio would be beneficial. There's no need to be tied to one particular brand of cardio workout.

• Suspended_User
    Suspended_User Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2016
    Here's a one better for you. Any workout routine that doesn't have a goal(s) and isn't tailored to that goal(s) is a waste of time.

If you were entering a competition that magically measured pure cardio fitness, then pure cardio would be the way to go. For a competitive marathon runner, some strength and flexibility training to reduce the chance of injury might be good, but agility training might be a waste of valuable training time. A professional body builder on the other hand, probably won't benefit (competition wise) from hours on end of cardio that burns away the mass they are trying to add.

There is a range of sports/fitness activities out there. One's best bet is to tailor their fitness program toward what they are trying to accomplish.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »

Your doctor should be able to tell you if more cardio would be beneficial. There's no need to be tied to one particular brand of cardio workout.
    Unless one likes to be tied for a particular brand of cardio.

(sorry couldn't help it)
  • lithezebra

(sorry couldn't help it)

There's good exercise, and improved flexibility, to be had!

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

(sorry couldn't help it)

Flexibility and endurance are important! Get your cardio!
  • lithezebra

(sorry couldn't help it)

I can do that with my hands tied!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member

I'm doing all 10 P90(X)s in a row. But no, you're doing what makes you happy, just like I'm doing what is honestly a challenge!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Right. Because endurance and heart health have no place in my life.

Cardio isn't just the elliptical or treadmill or running. It can be many different kinds of sports or activities. The key is to find something you like.

Signed,
    A dedicated weight lifter :tongue:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    OMG, OP, yes I will stop all my walking right now! How have I been so blind lo these last 4 years, believing walking was good exercise?! Let me go get my credit card and spend $150 - $407 on P90X3! That is infinitely better than saving that money for better-fitting clothes or even my rent! HOW HAVE I LOST 175# WITHOUT BEACHBODY?!?!!!

4y1ibnkbyng3.gif

*praise godga*
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    It works for you. Congratulations. Most of the exercising we do these days is an effort to expend all the labor that was saved by all the inventions of the ages of iron and industry. Each of us already have learned that doing nothing with our bodies both expands our bodies and our body's ability to do nothing.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    JJordon wrote: »

I'm doing all 10 P90(X)s in a row. But no, you're doing what makes you happy, just like I'm doing what is honestly a challenge!

I was joking BTW. I have no urge to do p90x or plyo :p
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member

(sorry couldn't help it)

I can do that with my hands tied!

But if that raises your heart rate is it lack of cardio causing that?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I think doing a variety of activities is great. I also think doing one thing you enjoy is great vs. sitting still.
    My goal isn't to be athletic though so I don't need to buy into a program.