Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Will You Let it Eat You Alive?

13»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited June 2016
    ^YES!!! Some may not deliberately lie, but some may not even know what constitutes organic farming anyway. I would rather buy direct from a local farmer when I can regardless, but to assume it's organic is foolish.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Think of all the juicer machines gathering dust...

I *almost* drank the Koolaid after watching "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" a couple years ago, but thankfully I did not buy a $400 juicer.

Great post, OP.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    ^YES!!! Some may not deliberately lie, but some may not even know what constitutes organic farming anyway. I would rather buy direct from a local farmer when I can regardless, but to assume it's organic is foolish.

Yeah, me too. I grow most of our vegetables but I still visit the Farmer's Market to see what they have. Local and fresh tastes better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I also choose the farmers market (and a CSA) because of the local aspect and that I like to support small farmers (my grandparents were, so this is largely sentimental).
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Someone has to be concerned about the future of Our Planet Earth for our children's children. There is no Planet B. One person can do their part in their own way, and if we all try we can leave a better planet to the future generations. Educate yourself, buying Organic is not just about avoiding Cancer.

My biggest concern over buying organic is the lack of follow up from the government to assure me that when I am paying $X amount of dollars for something that SAYS it is organic, I can know that it is 100% organic. I used to pay more for Horizon milk, because it was supposedly 100% organic. Then Dean's Foods took over and surprise...it may not actually truly really be organic. And I cannot buy at a farmer's market all the time and even that I don't know if they're REALLY organic or not. Come on...people have lied to make a profit for years.

I'm not against buying organic when I can, and when I can afford it, but I am against being duped into buying psuedo-organic food.

Right now the only "organic" labeled food I buy on purpose is Stonyfield Farms Organic Yogurt, not because I care that it's organic, but it's the ONLY yogurt I actually LIKE that does not have artificial sweeteners in it.

I've seen a lot of posts on MFP from people that seem to think that all produce at a Farmer's Market is grown organically. In my experience most of it is not. I even had one experience with a farmer at the market who said her produce was grown organically then later in the conversation said she used Sevin. Honestly IDK if Sevin is approved as organic by the FDA but she said she thought the definition of organic was "home grown".
    Agreed. I happen to be at one of my local farmer's markets every week for other reasons, and one day I went around to the various farms that sell produce and inquired about whether they were organic or not. Out of 4 farms I asked, it was split 50-50 between the farms that were organic and the ones that weren't.

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    ....aaand it's derailed.