Worried - how much less will I be able to eat, when I'm forty pounds lighter?

So, I weigh 215 pounds, down from 270. My doctor's body composition analyzer measured my body fat at 47%, and basal metabolism at 1500 calories. I hope to lose another 65 pounds and -- I know I'm worrying about something that hasn't happened yet -- I can't understand how few calories I will have to eat, when I weigh 150 pounds. How do people manage it?!?!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I believe I've dropped 400-500 calories losing 175#. TBH, it's not as much as you think, but I am very active.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    edited June 2016
    First, your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs just to be alive. Your TDEE is the amount you use throughout the day (BMR plus activity), so don't base your calories off of BMR. If you want to calculate your calories at your goal weight, go to iifym.com or scooby.com and plug your goal weight into the calculators at maintenance. It should give you a good idea of how much you'll be able to eat once you hit your goal. Just for your own information, I'd go ahead and play with the numbers a bit too, as 1500 seems a bit low for your current weight. I'm losing at just over 1500, and I'm about 178 lbs now.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited June 2016
    plug it into a calorie calculator and it will give you a general idea. Might not be exact, but it should be pretty close.

I use this http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html? I don't no how accurate it is but I can't imagine it's too far off.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    basal is what you would burn in a coma, so don't worry too much about that.

Lifting weight will help shift your body fat percentage, though I would do it in conjunction with cardio. Once you get to you goal weight, you should then "reverse diet". Which means you aren't going to immediately jump up to maintenance calories. You will slowly add calories back in over a period of weeks or months even. It is completely normal to gain back a few pound (read: ~ 5) in water weight during this refeed time as well. That should drop back off after your body settles. Some people lose an extra few pounds just for this reason.

Its always good to be looking ahead. You've got this!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    If your using MFP; it will tell you your calories as you drop. Since (hopefully) it will gradual, it will be a series of small changes. You'll be fine.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    If your using MFP; it will tell you your calories as you drop. Since (hopefully) it will gradual, it will be a series of small changes. You'll be fine.

This
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    "basal is what you would burn in a coma, so don't worry too much about that."

Cool, I didn't know that! So in other words, ANY activity I perform during the day will add to that number? Just sitting at a desk typing at a computer or walking to the car? And then so when I work out, say the half-hour on the treadmill is over that?

I really appreciate all this information, thanks so much!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    "basal is what you would burn in a coma, so don't worry too much about that."

Cool, I didn't know that! So in other words, ANY activity I perform during the day will add to that number? Just sitting at a desk typing at a computer or walking to the car? And then so when I work out, say the half-hour on the treadmill is over that?

I really appreciate all this information, thanks so much!

Yes. For instance, I have a BMR of 1850, I maintain my weight on 4K cals. I am very active, obviously.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    And remember, your body will be smaller, and not require as much energy to function, so you won't require as many calories, and (hopefully) won't be as hungry).
  • jeanstudies
    ASKyle wrote: »
    And remember, your body will be smaller, and not require as much energy to function, so you won't require as many calories, and (hopefully) won't be as hungry).

Ah, the hunger thing, now THAT is an issue for me and always has been! I don't know if I am hungry, or bored, or thirsty, and learning how to discern that is a challenge for me. Right now the only way I am beating that is to find foots that are lower-calorie or more satisfying to eat, and learning to allot some calories for later in the evening when I know the "hunger bear" will strike....
  • exact0ninja
    exact0ninja Posts: 33 Member
    There is a minimum we need to consume, which is 1200, to function properly. Your current calc seems rather drastic for your current weight as well. The good news is, when you get closer to 1200 (which honestly, most people have higher metabolisms and their bodies are different at their peak so they can eat more than that and still lose), your hunger pangs will be different and you should be eating differently, so 1200 calories won't seem so bad. Honestly, most people will eat 1300+ from what I've seen. By then, if you're working out, you will have more muscle growth which will require more energy due to burning more energy (metabolism).
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    i lost alot of weight years ago and when i was at goal weight, my hunger level was VERY low. i never had an issue with being hungry or starving like i thought i would.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    I think some people are being a bit optimistic here. Even now your body needs less calories to function than it did when you carried round more weight. Find a calorie page which gives you different recommendations for your height and level of activity.
    However be very cautious once you reach target weight. You can't just go plunging into your same ol' lifestyle.
    Most people start a diet when they are overweight AND gaining. If you go back to that you will be eating for your old self and not your new self. You'll put on the pounds and you might just sail right past the place you started out.
    While you are on a diet - and it sounds as if you are doing really well - is the time to reasses what your 'for the rest of my life' regime is going to be like.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Optimistic about what?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I started at 212 and now I'm 125 so yes my calories dropped along the way. But it was a slow drop so I got used to it gradually. Also I started at 212 as a sedentary person and now I'm very active and fit so that helps my calorie intake go up. I am maintaining my weight at about 2000 calories which is not bad for my size!!
  • Colt1835
    ASKyle wrote: »

Ah, the hunger thing, now THAT is an issue for me and always has been! I don't know if I am hungry, or bored, or thirsty, and learning how to discern that is a challenge for me. Right now the only way I am beating that is to find foots that are lower-calorie or more satisfying to eat, and learning to allot some calories for later in the evening when I know the "hunger bear" will strike....
    You're probably bored. Have a glass of water when you think you might be hungry. If you think what you feel when you skip a meal is hungry, you really don't know what hungry feels like. I think our minds like to tell us we are hungry even when we're not as a survival response, but since we don't have to hunt for our food anymore it just makes us fat instead of helping.

I also leave some calories for later in the evening. I know I like a snack right before bed so I always leave room for one. This is not hungry either, it's just a habit.
  • jeanstudies
    OODone wrote: »
    You're probably bored. Have a glass of water when you think you might be hungry. If you think what you feel when you skip a meal is hungry, you really don't know what hungry feels like. I think our minds like to tell us we are hungry even when we're not as a survival response, but since we don't have to hunt for our food anymore it just makes us fat instead of helping.

I also leave some calories for later in the evening. I know I like a snack right before bed so I always leave room for one. This is not hungry either, it's just a habit.

This, thanks. I have learned enough to lose 50+ pounds so far, but you're right that I don't really know what hunger feels like. So I have more to learn. Ah well, better late than never!
  • jeanstudies
    I started at 212 and now I'm 125 so yes my calories dropped along the way. But it was a slow drop so I got used to it gradually. Also I started at 212 as a sedentary person and now I'm very active and fit so that helps my calorie intake go up. I am maintaining my weight at about 2000 calories which is not bad for my size!!

Oooh, that sounds encouraging Victoria_1024! I didn't mention in my original post is that I do work out pretty hard now, 3-5 days/week (still figuring out what will work for me there), which I never did before. So hopefully that will give me a similar, if less intense (since I am older) result as you are getting.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016

This, thanks. I have learned enough to lose 50+ pounds so far, but you're right that I don't really know what hunger feels like. So I have more to learn. Ah well, better late than never!

You are fearing about how little you can eat when you are smaller, which you are supposed to eat less, you will have a smaller body to maintain. You should be excited about not needing to eat like you do now to maintain a larger body..

I may have missed something, here but learning new habits like not overeating, eating when bored, eating when not hungry, and emotional eating are what got us here. We don't want to keep doing that do we?

I never want to go back to eating WHAT I was eating before and HOW i was eating before.

The journey is never over unless you go back to where you were. We all here will complete a weight goal, then maintain that weight goal... and maybe even create fitness goals.. and change up those goals often.. but the journey is never over. It will be a new beginning and new set of goals...
  • Colt1835
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

You are fearing about how little you can eat when you are smaller, which you are supposed to eat less, you will have a smaller body to maintain. You should be excited about not needing to eat like you do now to maintain a larger body..

I may have missed something, here but learning new habits like not overeating, eating when bored, eating when not hungry, and emotional eating are what got us here. We don't want to keep doing that do we?

I never want to go back to eating WHAT I was eating before and HOW i was eating before.

The journey is never over unless you go back to where you were. We all here will complete a weight goal, then maintain that weight goal... and maybe even create fitness goals.. and change up those goals often.. but the journey is never over. It will be a new beginning and new set of goals...

I think you did miss something. It seems like you are implying that see supports having bad eating habits. I could be reading more into what you said. Forgive me if that's the case.

She's just worried that she will feel hungry all the time because she has to eat less to maintain her weight when she hits her goal.