Lunch Ideas (trying to stay away from sandwich meat)

frankfighter
frankfighter Posts: 25 Member
I am looking to get something that is easy to make at night that has at least 30-40 grams of protein in it and tastes good to warm up at work. I am allowing myself 500-600 calories for lunch and I want the sodium intake to be low. Any ideas would be very much appreciated. I'm sure there are a million posts like this, but I wanted to make a post :)

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I eat tuna, in a lavash wrap every day. Quick and easy.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited June 2016
    I love to grill a big batch of chicken tenderlions at the beginning of the week. I'll heat up about three and put them on top of a salad or eat with some steamed veggies and some hot sauce. I usually find packs of them marked down and will throw them in the freezer and pull out as I need it. I can get around 3 lbs chicken tenderlions (around 8.00) for about the same price of pound or so of deli meat. I can also control the seasonings and the amount of sodium which is a plus.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    I make a lot of soups and stews, it's great because I can make a pot on the weekend and freeze it in portions to throw in the microwave.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    kendahlj wrote: »
    Slow cook a roast beef (with an onion and mushrooms). I've been eating slices of roast beef for lunch with a vegetable - cole slaw or salad but it works well with peas and lots of others. I melt a slice of cheese on it. Satisfies me for hours and is less than 400 calories.

This!

I love roast beef but I am turned off by the amount of sodium that comes in deli style cuts. I will be turning on my slow cooker and making it happen this weekend. Thanks for the tip! :smile:
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Not fish. Microwaving fish in the office break room is grounds for termination of employment and possibly your life.

AMEN >:)
  • Bghere1
    All really good ideas though
  • Bghere1
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    I love to grill a big batch of chicken tenderlions at the beginning of the week. I'll heat up about three and put them on top of a salad or eat with some steamed veggies and some hot sauce. I usually find packs of them marked down and will throw them in the freezer and pull out as I need it. I can get around 3 lbs chicken tenderlions (around 8.00) for about the same price of pound or so of deli meat. I can also control the seasonings and the amount of sodium which is a plus.

Been there and done it... MAMA got it right
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    My standard lunch is

3.5 ounce chocolate bar
    4 banana 4cup spinach smoothie
    Whatever we had for dinner the night before
  • Namdier
    Namdier Posts: 19 Member
    Chicken breast, broccoli or asparagus, brown rice and quinoa... all of that heats up nice in the microwave. I typically use a ziploc bag to heat veggies in the microwave as it steam cooks them. Throw on some lemon juice and seasoning and voila!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Just throwing this out if you ever do want lunch meat - Butterball has a lower sodium turkey deli slices available. It's 210mg per serving last I saw which is less than half and sometimes only 1/3 sodium of other brands. It's in the already packaged area. Not sure if deli counter also has it. Read packages because some is still higher sodium.

I don't eat much sandwich meat just because there is so much salt in most brands, so so much, that all of it tastes like ham. Salty ham. Very disappointing flavor. There is almost no flavor difference between turkey, chicken and roast beast with all that salt.

I cook my own meat and either slice or shred it (easier for chicken breast) to use on sandwiches.