For those on 1200 calories a day

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    I'm at 1200, and I start my day with a high fiber cereal. I try to eat vegetables with every meal and to meet my protein goals every day. I do the standard macros that MFP gave me.

If you're starving all the time, even with a balanced diet, you need to bump up your calories and lose slower. That's not a lifestyle that you will ever be able to maintain otherwise.
  • major_barb
    major_barb Posts: 4 Member
    I've only been at this for a month but I usually just make sure My meals are small enough as to where I'm always able to snack during the day. Also- on weekends I usually flub Friday or Saturday due to drinking, but I try to make my smartest eating choices those days and still log my drinks so that I have to face my poor decisions! :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    DamePiglet wrote: »
    i eat every two hours i usually eat between 1200-1400 but i burn about 800 to 1000 calories after my work outs a day so i can afford more protein calories

Wait... wat?
    Are you eating a TOTAL of 1200 - 1400 calories a day then burning off 800 to 1000 - so you're NETTING about 400 calories a day?

This...Inquiring minds want to know...because if you are, that's cray cray
  • yagirlmella
    yagirlmella Posts: 21 Member
    I find myself drinking carbonated 0 zero calorie drinks, so I can feel "fuller". I'm only on my second day and I feel hungry ☹️
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    I find myself drinking carbonated 0 zero calorie drinks, so I can feel "fuller". I'm only on my second day and I feel hungry ☹️

Noooooooooo!!!!! Please stop! Haha. So many studies have been done that show the people who drink diet or zero drinks end up eating more, and having more food cravings. The reason is because aspartame (don't get me started on THAT!) being an artificial sweetener makes your brain think there is a sugar hit coming so prepares the pancreas to release lots of insulin ready to break down all the sugar, then that sugar never comes so you remain in a constant state of wanting the extra sugar and calories.

If you CAN get off diet sodas please do. I was absolutely addicted to Coke Zero. I have finally gotten off of it, drink mostly only water, and if I want something fizzy I have sparkling water and add in a little fresh lemon. Tastes like more than water haha.
  • louisepaul16
    My calorie goals are set at 1470 per
    Day. Some days I get there, other days im at around 1000-1100. I eat a lot of fat (healthy fats from avocado, olive oil, fish and nuts) and I am rarely hungry. Some days I have to really think about eating more as I know I won't even make the thousand calorie level. I want to lose weight at a healthy rate and not do anything bad to my health in the process.... I have almost totally cut out sugar and after the first week of cravings, it made this whole weight loss plan so much easier!!!!!
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    I eat 100-1100 a day. Only been at it a week but I have to force myself to eat that much. Never thought my problem would not be not eating enough.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    emz_1993 wrote: »
    Are you starving throughout the day on that many cals? I want to lose up to 2 lbs a week but I don't think I can go that low without being absolutely miserable. I have been on that calorie restriction before and I was really hungry all the time. I'm set to about 1450 cals now but I regularly go over which explains why I haven't been losing that much weight lately. I want to lose 25 lbs more by new years. I'm already down 35 lbs.

With only 25lbs to lose I would cut that down to 1 pound per week...
  • louisepaul16
    megann120 wrote: »

Noooooooooo!!!!! Please stop! Haha. So many studies have been done that show the people who drink diet or zero drinks end up eating more, and having more food cravings. The reason is because aspartame (don't get me started on THAT!) being an artificial sweetener makes your brain think there is a sugar hit coming so prepares the pancreas to release lots of insulin ready to break down all the sugar, then that sugar never comes so you remain in a constant state of wanting the extra sugar and calories.

But if the sugar never comes the insulin is not released. Even if you still want more sweetness you can have another diet drink, it doesnt mean you will start eating cakes and sweets.
    There is a lot more to gaining weight by people drinking diet versions than just a sweet taste

But it does cause insulin to release. Not ALL sweetners do this but a lot do. Not necessarily that you will go and eat sweets and cakes but the next meal you eat, generally people who drink diet drinks will end up eating more than if you had had water or even the full sugar/fat version of the soda.

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar

Something to read about it.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    I eat 100-1100 a day. Only been at it a week but I have to force myself to eat that much. Never thought my problem would not be not eating enough.

1000-1100* if I only at 100 Id be dying lmao
  • yagirlmella
    yagirlmella Posts: 21 Member

If you CAN get off diet sodas please do. I was absolutely addicted to Coke Zero. I have finally gotten off of it, drink mostly only water, and if I want something fizzy I have sparkling water and add in a little fresh lemon. Tastes like more than

Does it matter that they are flavored sparkling water and not soda? Thanks for your input btw

• squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    31 weeks until new year. Cut to 1llb a week and you will still hit target.
  • cafisher0404
    cafisher0404 Posts: 77 Member
    I am set to 1200, but normally eat about 1300 with exercise calories (my diary is open). I don't feel like I'm starving. Also, I added in diet soda (I didn't drink it before trying to watch my calories, which I started about 2 months ago) because I like to drink stuff throughout the day and water alone bores me so then I want to snack. The diet soda (Diet Coke for me) fills me up and satisfies my sweet tooth craving, and has zero calories as compared to the regular soda and Starbucks drinks I was drinking before LOL. I have had no desire to then eat a bunch of sweets or something else because I'm drinking it- it actually has done the opposite. I've lost almost 20 pounds over the last 2 months, and I haven't had any side effects from drinking soda (not that this is the topic, but just throwing it out there). I tend to eat a medium size breakfast, small lunch, and normal dinner. I don't snack a lot, other than my diet soda :) I started at 184 and am at 164.6 this morning, at 5'2" and female.
  • louisepaul16

If you CAN get off diet sodas please do. I was absolutely addicted to Coke Zero. I have finally gotten off of it, drink mostly only water, and if I want something fizzy I have sparkling water and add in a little fresh lemon. Tastes like more than

Does it matter that they are flavored sparkling water and not soda? Thanks for your input btw

Flavoured waters can be ok, but check on the sugar content and what is added. Anything over 20g per 100g (or ml) of sugar is deemed as very high in sugar.

Make your own if you have time. I buy sparking water, then if I want flavour added I mash up raspberries, strain and add it to the water, or just add lemon. Yummy.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Aim for 1lb a week at most losing that much will be hard to maintain, tough on your body, and could result in lots of lose skin due to you losing faster than it can tighten up.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Most days I am 1200-1300 cal I am not hungy at all. I drink a lot of water, as usually for me the hunger feeling tends to be thirst I have found. Plus I eat a lot of low energy foods like salads and asolute minimal dressing. I eat a normal meal in the evening but again lots of vegetables. My snacks are two pieces of fruit a day.
    I only eat standard foodstuffs. I don't have protein shakes, nutritional bars etc etc.

As I am approaching my goal weight I notice that my weightloss is less than it used to be. And well so be it. I always wanted this to be a lifestyle change.