Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do people think of this?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    i always find it illuminating to see who is funding research, especially when it goes against scientific consensus. I notice several supplement companies, a couple of pharmaceutical firms, food companies, and the "British meat nutrition education series", whatever the heck that is.

http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk/index.php/about-the-nof/our-partners.html

Also, Public Health England calls it "irresponsible" and "a threat to the nation's health"

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36345768
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Oh yes, this was recently posted by one of the anti-sugar zealots who then claimed to be an investigative reporter (not the OP, of course). Nonsense.

I don't think it is "nonsense". It seems like a fair bit of common sense and modern science. Here's the gist of it all:

1. Eating Fat Does Not Make You Fat
    2. Saturated Fat Does Not Cause Heart Disease. Full fat dairy is likely protective.
    3. Processed foods labelled ‘low fat’, ‘lite’, ‘low cholesterol’ or “proven to lower cholesterol” should be avoided.
    4. Limit starchy and refined carbohydrates to prevent and reverse Type 2 diabetes.
    5. Optimum Sugar Consumption For Health is ZERO. (I assume this means added sugars and not fruits)
    6. Industrial Vegetable Oils Should Be Avoided
    7. Stop Counting Calories (Calorie focused thinking has damaged public health.)
    8. You cannot outrun a bad diet.
    9. Snacking will make you fat (Grandma was right!)
    10. Evidence Based Nutrition Should Be Incorporated In to Education Curricula For All Healthcare Professionals.

I think of it is overly simplistic but overall it makes a bunch of sense.

At the very least, I can't see anything wrong with it - I can't see anything here that could hurt someone's health. The advice is sound if not simplistic. At worst, it is neutral advice for healthy people with good genetics, and helpful advice for those with some health issues.

JMO

• paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    I can't be bothered reading the whole thing but looked at the sugar part. Why zero? So what if it has no nutritional value? It provides energy. What is the evidence that sugar alone causes diabetes?
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2016
    If anyone thinks there's good or neutral advice read the BBC link for a start.
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    The only sugars I believe we should eat are natural sugars from fruits and veggies. Science is proving (not willing to say has proved) that sugar feeds cancer. So I can see where zero processed sugar is a good thing. Also the no counting calories... the only thing I keep a watch on is my carbs as I am a type 2 diabetic. While I am not a huge fan of the Ketogenic diet, I have seen amazing results before and after pictures of those who are. The only negative I see with Keto, is if a person decides to no longer follow the ketogenic diet, the likelihood of regaining all weight lost is extremely high. That is why I have chosen to follow the Gabriel Method. And because of the Gabriel Method, I am now a gym junkie. lol...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    trish55011 wrote: »
    The only sugars I believe we should eat are natural sugars from fruits and veggies. Science is proving (not willing to say has proved) that sugar feeds cancer. So I can see where zero processed sugar is a good thing. Also the no counting calories... the only thing I keep a watch on is my carbs as I am a type 2 diabetic. While I am not a huge fan of the Ketogenic diet, I have seen amazing results before and after pictures of those who are. The only negative I see with Keto, is if a person decides to no longer follow the ketogenic diet, the likelihood of regaining all weight lost is extremely high. That is why I have chosen to follow the Gabriel Method. And because of the Gabriel Method, I am now a gym junkie. lol...

Source, please?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

It's okay if I eat sugar from sugar cane and sugar beet, but not from cooked sugar cane and sugar beet. What?
    cd2j51dicpau.gif
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Well jaimieoliver just helped introduce a tax on sugary drinks to hopefully help obesity in the uk
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Oh yes, this was recently posted by one of the anti-sugar zealots who then claimed to be an investigative reporter (not the OP, of course). Nonsense.

I don't think it is "nonsense". It seems like a fair bit of common sense and modern science. Here's the gist of it all:

1. Eating Fat Does Not Make You Fat
    2. Saturated Fat Does Not Cause Heart Disease. Full fat dairy is likely protective.
    3. Processed foods labelled ‘low fat’, ‘lite’, ‘low cholesterol’ or “proven to lower cholesterol” should be avoided.
    4. Limit starchy and refined carbohydrates to prevent and reverse Type 2 diabetes.
    5. Optimum Sugar Consumption For Health is ZERO. (I assume this means added sugars and not fruits)
    6. Industrial Vegetable Oils Should Be Avoided
    7. Stop Counting Calories (Calorie focused thinking has damaged public health.)
    8. You cannot outrun a bad diet.
    9. Snacking will make you fat (Grandma was right!)
    10. Evidence Based Nutrition Should Be Incorporated In to Education Curricula For All Healthcare Professionals.

I think of it is overly simplistic but overall it makes a bunch of sense.

At the very least, I can't see anything wrong with it - I can't see anything here that could hurt someone's health. The advice is sound if not simplistic. At worst, it is neutral advice for healthy people with good genetics, and helpful advice for those with some health issues.

JMO

1. Agree.. i think we all agree on this one.
    2. Not enough available information to justify the responses. Of all the studies posted in this thread sat fat seemed to be 15% of less of total calories. But it potentially would suggest that sat fat from whole sources would have less of an impact. But a blanket statement that SFA isn't a concern would be wrong.
    3. I would call most of it creative marketing. Oatmeal is labeled cholesterol lowering and that has been supported by some studies because it acts as a binding agent.
    4. I don't see how limiting potatoes would prevent diabetes
    5. I agree that limiting added sugar can be beneficial in favor of whole foods while trying to lose weight, but it doesn't make it optimal. Optimal is subjective based on a lot of factors.
    6. Don't really disagree.
    7. Calorie counting is a tool... no different than counting carbs, points or using fancy containers. What matters is finding a solution for you.
    8. You can, but its very hard (i.e. - olympic/pro athletes have to eat "bad" to maintain weight)
    9. ehh..
    10. I would agree.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

i see sugar fear mongering is still in vogue...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It's your standard cherry picked article...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I've lost about 85 pounds and have eaten plenty of carbs along the way. But I kept up a calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016

Source, please?

Its a myth. Its amazing how facts get altered based on dietary preference. Blood glucose feeds growth of cancer but it isnt speed up by eating sugar.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer-causes/art-20044714?pg=2