Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Has Food Been Turned into an Addictive Drug?

2»

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    "They showed experiments with mice whereby they mixed fat and carbs for group and not the other. The group which are fat and carbs had tremendous weight gain while the other did not."

There was probably more to that experiment that was not mentioned. I think food can become like a drug without self control and without knowledge of the harm it can do, but just like other drugs you can be weened off. Before I came to the States I had no problem with weight. I was I think 4 years old at the time. After moving to the States my parents started going to the fast food places and I gained a lot of weight and so did the rest of my family. I ate what my parents gave me. I didn't know anything about nutrition nor did my parents. Fast food like in the States was not available in Bermuda at the time. My parents thought it was the coolest thing because we had never seen a drive thru before. Our eating habits changed not realizing what the difference was between fast food and real food. Throughout my schooling in the States I never once was taught healthy eating habits. I didn't really learn about healthy eating habits until I was 29 and that was on my own. No body ever told me this is how you should be eating. So what I'm saying is there's nothing to self control until you are aware of what it is you are controlling.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    RichardD83 wrote: »
    There are so many obese people now

Profit is more important than people

Sugar is added to everything

Millions of dollars is spent researching how to make food taste better

I watched a video where they did an experiment with two identical twins. One given a high fat diet the other given a high carb diet. In the end there was no difference between the two in weight gain.

They showed experiments with mice whereby they mixed fat and carbs for group and not the other. The group which are fat and carbs had tremendous weight gain while the other did not.

In nature fat and carbs are not found together.

They found the effect on the mice's brain worked the same as the dopamine receptors do during addiction

Is it possible food is like a Drug now?

Nuts and seeds.

Beat me to it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    well yea our food is poisoned and so is our water

not sure that it has to do with all the fat people tho

people are just dull , sad ,bored, unaware and stressed out for some the only bit of happiness people have is in food

and honestly i get it

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    RichardD83 wrote: »

Let's assume this is true, for a moment. We know it's not, but for the sake of discussion we'll pretend it is.

In nature, do animals (including people) ever eat more than just one thing?

How long did people live, on average, in nature? How long do people live now? I mean, smallpox was found in nature, and humans eradicated it through great effort and using science. I think the world is healthier and safer and better without smallpox in it, what do you think? Another example going in the other direction is any kind of medicine. What I'm getting at is that "in nature" isn't necessarily ideal. I mean would you rather live in a house or a cave?

What does "in nature" mean exactly? If a pond created by a beaver dam counts as nature, does McDonald's?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    We're all gonna die!

hopefully
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    We're all gonna die!

hopefully

B1pdu.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    well yea our food is poisoned and so is our water

not sure that it has to do with all the fat people tho

people are just dull , sad ,bored, unaware and stressed out for some the only bit of happiness people have is in food

and honestly i get it

Screen-Shot-2013-11-08-at-8.13.15-AM.png
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    ^^^^^ that video is addicting! I keep watching hoping they will do something different...hahahaha.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I don't believe there is a simple answer. Yes, I'm sure food manufacturers would love it if you were addicted to their food. Yes, they want you to crave it. Is it actually addictive? I don't know. Maybe it is mildly addictive. There are many levels and types of addiction or dependence.

But if anyone really believes that these processed foods (and let's be clear we are only talking processed food, a cucumber is no more or less addictive now than in the past) are addictive why do they feed them to their children. Would they offer alcohol, tobacco or heroin to them?

We are addicted to convenience and ease. It's human nature. We want our food to be easier the same as we don't want to lean over to roll down our car windows or walk across the room to change a TV channel. We're way too busy to prepare meals from raw ingredients. Too busy to exercise. Too busy to do anything but be busy and stressed. Then we eat to relieve the stress. We are our own worst enemy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    We're all gonna die!

But ... vampires
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    We're all gonna die!

But ... vampires

but...zombies I mean I have a crossbow in preparation...come on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    We're all gonna die!

But ... vampires

but...zombies I mean I have a crossbow in preparation...come on.

Ha! I typed zombies and then deleted it because don't they have to die first then be raised from the dead?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    We're all gonna die!

But ... vampires

Blood has too much toxins and is way too processed now a days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    Subjectively speaking, I'd find these "food manufacturer conspiracy theories" a lot easier to swallow (heh), if I personally considered most so-called "hyper-palatable" food products to taste good. IMO - and I know lots of people disagree - they don't. Most of them taste kind of gross to me - boring, monotonic. Apparently response to this "dangerous drug" is not universal. Shrug.

The stuff is quick, easy, available & conventional, though.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member

Bacon

Bacon isn't what I would call natural, as in you don't kill a pig, cut it's belly and immediately get bacon, but bacon is awesome, therefore, one "awesome" for you.