Swimming laps

I had to change gyms recently, and the new gym has a lap pool, which sounds like it would be a fun change of pace for my cross training days. (I bike, run, and lift.)

It's been years since I last swam laps -- other than having a decent suit and swim goggles, what tips would you give me? What etiquette should I know about?

Replies

• draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Learn to circle swim. Please circle swim. Put any kick boards or pull buoys away when your done. If you go at night and the pool and facility close at the same time, be nice to the guard and get out at least 5 mins before pool close. That way they can leave on time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited June 2016
    draco706 wrote: »
    Learn to circle swim. Please circle swim. Put any kick boards or pull buoys away when your done. If you go at night and the pool and facility close at the same time, be nice to the guard and get out at least 5 mins before pool close. That way they can leave on time.

This.

Circle swim.
    If you are sharing a lane with someone faster than you, if they are close to you as you approach the wall, pause for a second and let them pass at the wall.

Oh and don't block the wall if you are resting.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    draco706 wrote: »
    Learn to circle swim.
    TIL. Thanks -- makes total sense!

• spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    It depends on the pool and what folks are used to doing. At the pool I go to we only circle swim if there is 3 or more people in a lane. Otherwise we just pick a side. Talk to those you're sharing a lane with.

Every pool I've been to has fast, medium and slow lanes. Please choose the right lane. lol Especially if you're circle swimming.

Have fun! Don't worry about what anyone else is doing, they're not looking at you anyway.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    When I share a lane I back stoke when I am swimming away from the other person and crawl when I am swimming toward them. Haven't kicked or hit anyone yet when I do this. The lanes in my pool are quite narrow so I like to keep an eye out for the other person. I've been kicked too many times to count by others not watching out.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    spring913 wrote: »
    It depends on the pool and what folks are used to doing. At the pool I go to we only circle swim if there is 3 or more people in a lane. Otherwise we just pick a side. Talk to those you're sharing a lane with.

Every pool I've been to has fast, medium and slow lanes. Please choose the right lane. lol Especially if you're circle swimming.

Have fun! Don't worry about what anyone else is doing, they're not looking at you anyway.

At my pool there are a lot of people who just don't circle swim, they pick a side. When someone else comes in, they end up getting in a lane with people who are circle swimming. I've seen 4-5 people circling swimming in one lane while the other lanes have two people picking a side. Some people in my pool refuse to circle swim, others will if they have to. It makes it hard.
    I mean, you do what is etiquette at your pool, I just find that picking a side makes it harder for the 3rd person to join in.

I forgot about lane designations - yes! Please follow them. Again, at my pool they rarely put out the "fast lane" sign. But it means nothing when they do. I've avoided the fast lane one day because I knew a couple of the regulars would be there shortly and they are faster. Another guy picked it because it was the only open lane. He is the type who actually swims half the lane and hangs out on the lane divider. There were other lanes with people who he could swim with but wanted his own lane and gets mad when he has to share.
    In my swim club we do sort ourselves by speed.

My regular pool can be very frustrating. Many there aren't aware of pool etiquette. My swim club runs much smoother, with more people in the pool
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Think about your technique so as to avoid injuries, particularly in your shoulders. Form over speed to start with. Better to swim a shorter distance but have it done correctly than to push on when your form falls apart. 3-5 times a week in the pool is better than 1 long day. I can't help more as I don't know your level of swimming. Biggest tip, have fun! :)
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Be kind to your hair (and for the general hygiene in the pool), don't forget a swim cap!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    If someone taps your toes then that means they want to go past you so let them go infront when you get to the wall to turn. If you're swimming breaststroke in a narrow lane keep close to the wall so you don't kick people who are in the same lane either going past you the other way or people who might want to overtake.

Swim hat is invaluable to stop your goggle straps from breaking your hair.
    Nose clip works wonders if you develop an allergy to the chlorine in the pool. Ear plugs if you get fed up with water in your ears or to stop you getting dizzy in cold water.

Do a set short distance, say 400m and measure your time for this every few months, you might feel like you're not improving but if you measure your times then you'll see the progress you've made.

Look up some swim sets to follow, print them and laminate them and take them to the pool so you don't get bored. Pyramid swims are good. Don't forget your drills for stroke improvement.

Check out the SwimSmooth website for a tonne of useful info, read up about the CSS (critical swim speed) stuff, it really works! http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html

Enjoy!