Just discovered kayaking. Any other 'yakers out there?

my wife has had one in the back yard for about 3 years, never thought about using it however I just got done building a rack for it and plugging the scupper holes and thought about taking it out on the lake and try to clean some fish out of it. I did, and was instantly hooked, pun intended.

Been out 6 days in a row.

If you haven't been, I suggest it.

Replies

• sabrinarsweet
    sabrinarsweet Posts: 37 Member
    I have been on a kayak with two ppl
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    YES!! We have three kayaks--two singles and a double. We're on the water every chance we get!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    26687200773_40bbe57b14_o_d.jpg

:)
  • kylegeldmaker
    kylegeldmaker Posts: 21 Member
    26687200773_40bbe57b14_o_d.jpg

:)

Amazing view.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    I love kayaking. So far I've just been doing it at the lakehouse, but I plan on doing some locally in a couple of rivers. One caveat. I was amazed at how high MFP estimates calories while kayaking. I think it must be overestimating by quite a bit. You might also like paddle boarding, which can be a little more of a full-body workout.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Ardent kayaker here!
    Kayaked all over New England, and last year we went on a fabulous cruise and kayaked Dubrovnik and Montenegro!
    Dubrovnik is where they film game of thrones, and we kayaked around the fabulous city walls and the bay they constantly show.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    I love kayaking, but don't go often.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Make sure you know how to self-rescue! Practice often. And make sure you WEAR your pfd, and have a whistle, paddle float and pump on board at all times. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I know people who have drowned while kayaking on lakes.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    I really want to try it! We live between 2 lakes so we have the water, I just don't have a kayak!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    I have been wanting too so bad. I am surrounded by lakes and rivers.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Love kayaking - don't take mine out enough. I need to make a better effort this year to use it more.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Just bought my kayak last weekend, five trips so far. Absolutely love it.

But yeah, not eating back the calories MFP allots, well, on second thought I could have a whole pizza. Hmmmmmmek2ery35rdi6.jpeg
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Went for 2 hours Saturday and it was wonderful. I do agree about MFP overestimating calories burned.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I like kayaking but I don't like open water, it is too boring. I like rivers, streams, and creeks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm fortunate enough to live within walking distance of the Ottawa River, between running, riding, rowing, family and work commitments I don't get to spend anywhere near as much time as I'd like on the water....... (we have some pretty good whitewater close by but I'm not there yet in terms of skills)